Supreme Court to decide if states can ban gay marriage

Based on the 2013 NHIS data [collected in 2013 from 34,557 adults aged 18 and over], 96.6% of adults identified as straight, 1.6% identified as gay or lesbian, and 0.7% identified as bisexual. The remaining 1.1% of adults identified as “something else[]” [0.2%,] stated “I don’t know the answer[]” [0.4%] or refused to provide an answer [0.6%].

With such a small group I don't think the gay community would garner enough support for an amendment. Although the general public opinion of gay marriage had been increasing lately.

The 96.6% may be inflated by the number of people who self-identify as gay or lesbian but have not openly identified themselves as gay or lesbian. Such questions can prime stigmas associated with being gay or lesbian and result in people choosing straight when they really aren't.

Anyways, maybe this idea is so ingrained in some of you, but I feel compelled to say it. Americans have freedoms, but our freedoms only extend to the point where they don't infringe upon the freedom of other Americans. So I ask: whose freedoms are being subjected to greater infringement? Is it straight, very religious folks who are struck with repulsion and disgust by the prospect of seeing two men or two women together? Or is it gays and lesbians, who, because they can't marry, cannot gain access to certain benefits, rights, and privileges that are tied to marriage?

• Fire 2

The fact that this issue has to be debated is pathetic. Just because your faith says doesn't like a group of people doesn't mean you get to discriminate against them through laws. Because of deuteronomy 15:12-15 does that give us the right to own slaves? Nope. So just because you think gay people are gross doesn't mean you can with hold rights from them. That is wrong, end of story.

That book doesn't count, what did Jesus say on the matter.

Modern Christians treat the Bible like buffet. "I'll take this line and this one, but not that one, or that one" They form an opinion first and work backwards to find validity.

If they took everything written in there as seriously as they take their cherry picked lines, they would be pushing for a society that looks much more like the one ISIS is trying to create. Though I think a move to ban bacon would be the single fastest way to end the religion in this country.

• Fire 2

The fact that this issue has to be debated is pathetic. Just because your faith says doesn't like a group of people doesn't mean you get to discriminate against them through laws. Because of deuteronomy 15:12-15 does that give us the right to own slaves? Nope. So just because you think gay people are gross doesn't mean you can with hold rights from them. That is wrong, end of story.

That book doesn't count, what did Jesus say on the matter.

Modern Christians treat the Bible like buffet. "I'll take this line and this one, but not that one, or that one" They form an opinion first and work backwards to find validity.

If they took everything written in there as seriously as they take their cherry picked lines, they would be pushing for a society that looks much more like the one ISIS is trying to create. Though I think a move to ban bacon would be the single fastest way to end the religion in this country.

Don't f#*k with bacon.

https://au.org/blogs/wall-of-separation/it-s-a-scandal-it-s-an-outrage-oklahoma-legislator-wants-to-restrict

A new bill filed by Oklahoma State Rep. Todd Russ. House Bill 1125 would bar judges and other public officials from solemnizing marriages. Marriage licenses would have to be approved by a clergy person.

As written, the bill even seems to restrict the right to marry to Christians and Jews. The ability to sign off on a marriage license would belong to “…an ordained or authorized preacher or minister of the Gospel, priest or other ecclesiastical dignitary of any denomination who has been duly ordained or authorized by the church to which he or she belongs to preach the Gospel, or a rabbi.”

Gotta give credit to the GOP. They are creative.

Is that somehow remotely constitutional?

No. It's not.

But hey, when has that ever stopped Congress from passing ridiculous, overbearing bills?

On a more serious note, I thought Republicans were all for less government involvement. So what's the ideology behind passing a law that essentially involves the government in marriage? If a party stands for freedom, why the restrictions on freedom?

More from Oklahoma:

OKLAHOMA CITY — State Rep. Sally Kern has filed three measures aimed at the gay community.

House Bill 1599 is dubbed the “Preservation and Sovereignty of Marriage Act.” House Bill 1598 is called the “Freedom to Obtain Conversion Therapy Act.” A third measure would allow businesses to refuse to provide services to the gay community, among others.

So we are once again prescribing therapy for homosexuality 29 years after the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders removes homosexuality from the list of mental illnesses?

"No, no, Jimmy, don't go near those people! You'll catch the gay!"--Sally Kern ®, to her imaginary son Jimmy.

I just don't get why they care so much. I really don't. If someone who is anti-gay marriage could help me out here, I would appreciate it. I know it's a sin, but you aren't doing it so how is it different than allowing divorce? Or swearing? Or looking lustfully at women who aren't your wife?

• Fire 1