Husker Scholarships Will Cover Personal Expenses Starting This Fall

Mavric

What was it before? I can't think this is that big of an increase.

I believe this is an extra $3600
That is incorrect, off campus scholarship athletes have always received at minimum the equivalent of room and board
Right, and this isn't changing. Everything I've heard about COA is that it's basically a "whatever" striped like the old "laundry money" players used to get, just a substantially larger amount.

And I was asking how much more of an increase it was. Scholarship athletes have been given $ for years.

He told you, $3,600. This isn't the same as room and board stipends.

I understand, the previous number that is now 3600 wasn't zero.

I am pretty sure this is a completely new allowance. So the previous was zero. But if you can find somewhere saying they received money before please post it. But this is suppose to be on top of everything they received before.

You're right, previously they probably received a little more than zero. Doesn't mean that money was legally given to them. Now it is.

That is incorrect, off campus scholarship athletes have always received at minimum the equivalent of room and board
Right, and this isn't changing. Everything I've heard about COA is that it's basically a "whatever" striped like the old "laundry money" players used to get, just a substantially larger amount.

And I was asking how much more of an increase it was. Scholarship athletes have been given $ for years.

I am pretty sure this is a completely new allowance. So the previous was zero. But if you can find somewhere saying they received money before please post it. But this is suppose to be on top of everything they received before.

You're right, previously they probably received a little more than zero. Doesn't mean that money was legally given to them. Now it is.

Along with what existed.

Along with what existed.

Polo, that was always against the rules. Find something that shows me it wasn't and that we did it.

Along with what existed.

Polo, that was always against the rules. Find something that shows me it wasn't and that we did it.

If you need documented proof from me that this existed at NU your naïveté is astounding.

3600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a football player at Northwestern, you are on full ride scholarship which translates out to roughly $65,000 a year. With nothing else, being a student-athlete, you are already receiving compensation that puts you in the top 3% in the entire country. As a full-time working adult, I don't make half that much. Now please, if you are reading, this is the part I want you to pay attention to. In addition to that, you are likely also eligible for a Pell Grant, another $5,500 per year. In addition to that, if you receive a Pell Grant, you are also eligible for a $500 clothing allowance per year. In addition to that, your athletic department has a Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund, for anynon-scholarship expense that you can't pay for, such as gas in your car, a plane ticket home, etc. In addition to that, you also have access to a Special Assistance fund, which requests additional financial aid for similar special financial needs that you might have (since you do not have the available time to have a job outside of football). In addition to that, you likely live off-campus, right? Your scholarship gives you $13,862 towards room and board - but if you get an apartment with your teammates and pay $400 a rent in month, that is only $4,800 for the year. That leaves you with a $9,000 difference left in cash for you to use as you choose. So, by my admittedly non-scientific math, being a football player at Northwestern earns you roughly $80,000 per year in compensation, untaxed. You receive over $10,000 in extra income that does not go towards any necessity living costs, and does not include anything you might get from the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund or the Special Assistance Fund.

So athletes generally had some extra dough already.

Along with what existed.

This is from Washington Huskies and USC site, and is the standard for all D1 NCAA universities. If you live off campus you receive at or above the amount that you would receive for room and board on campus. If you've ever noticed, athletes all live off campus after their first year because you can find cheaper rent. Since the university is required to provide what is needed for on campus living to all student athletes, that means more money in their pocket.

http://www.gohuskies.com/fls/30200/old_site/pdf/genrel/scholarship-info.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=30200

http://www.usc.edu/admission/fa/grants_scholarships/undergraduates/athleticawards.html

As a football player at Northwestern, you are on full ride scholarship which translates out to roughly $65,000 a year. With nothing else, being a student-athlete, you are already receiving compensation that puts you in the top 3% in the entire country. As a full-time working adult, I don't make half that much. Now please, if you are reading, this is the part I want you to pay attention to. In addition to that, you are likely also eligible for a Pell Grant, another $5,500 per year. In addition to that, if you receive a Pell Grant, you are also eligible for a $500 clothing allowance per year. In addition to that, your athletic department has a Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund, for anynon-scholarship expense that you can't pay for, such as gas in your car, a plane ticket home, etc. In addition to that, you also have access to a Special Assistance fund, which requests additional financial aid for similar special financial needs that you might have (since you do not have the available time to have a job outside of football). In addition to that, you likely live off-campus, right? Your scholarship gives you $13,862 towards room and board - but if you get an apartment with your teammates and pay $400 a rent in month, that is only $4,800 for the year. That leaves you with a $9,000 difference left in cash for you to use as you choose. So, by my admittedly non-scientific math, being a football player at Northwestern earns you roughly $80,000 per year in compensation, untaxed. You receive over $10,000 in extra income that does not go towards any necessity living costs, and does not include anything you might get from the Student-Athlete Opportunity Fund or the Special Assistance Fund.

They still won't believe you.

In general, I'm fine with this decision. I'm concerned about the implementation of it.

So...because of cost of living in Lincoln compared to Los Angles, a kid we are recruiting is going to get less by coming to Nebraska compared to USC or UCLA.

Hmmm....so, our recruiters are going to go into a living room in San Diego and say...hey...if you come to Nebraska, you get an extra $3600 for "expenses". The USC recruiter is going to go in and say...hey...if you come to USC you will get an extra $6000.

Do you really think a HS kid from some of these areas are going to understand "cost of living" differences?

If you applied for the Opportunity Fund at Nebraska, you might receive $530 maximum. If you had an emergency, you could apply for the Special Assistance Fund and could receive $500 maximum.

The new cost of attendance stipends won't be based off of need as previously administered.

People will believe him because he actually provided useful information. The only thing more Landlord could have done more is provide his source for the information, which I would assume is public and we could all dig up, so I am not holding that against him.

You just made comments that never really added to the conversation. We asked you to provide information, but you just made snide comments making it sound like you are referring to 'money under the table.' Maybe we should have just ignored them, but maybe we had hopes you could back up your position.

I would be curious what those numbers are for NU. It is disappointing that a lot of these funds seemed to be ignored when talking about this new allowance, or at least I have missed them in articles I have read. But it I guess it is like any campaign, your want people to focus on what makes this look like a good idea.

That being said, I am still happy with this. These kids bring in millions for the school and some end up in bad situations afterwards. It will be interesting to see the statistics in ten years or more on how this helps or hurts the student athletes in the long run. Will they get into less trouble and will their post college lives improve because of it? Might as well give this try and find out.

• Fire 1

People will believe him because he actually provided useful information. The only thing more Landlord could have done more is provide his source for the information, which I would assume is public and we could all dig up, so I am not holding that against him.

You just made comments that never really added to the conversation. We asked you to provide information, but you just made snide comments making it sound like you are referring to 'money under the table.' Maybe we should have just ignored them, but maybe we had hopes you could back up your position.

I would be curious what those numbers are for NU. It is disappointing that a lot of these funds seemed to be ignored when talking about this new allowance, or at least I have missed them in articles I have read. But it I guess it is like any campaign, your want people to focus on what makes this look like a good idea.

That being said, I am still happy with this. These kids bring in millions for the school and some end up in bad situations afterwards. It will be interesting to see the statistics in ten years or more on how this helps or hurts the student athletes in the long run. Will they get into less trouble and will their post college lives improve because of it? Might as well give this try and find out.

I know full well that money under the table has existed in Nebraska athletics. I don't doubt many here also know this.

My only question is and was, how much more they're getting and if it's fair to all student athletes at NU. And it doesn't appear to be the case, which is too bad.

My only question is and was, how much more they're getting

You are and were reading this incorrectly.

"Athletes in sports like football, men’s and women’s basketball and volleyball — where athletes are awarded full scholarships — would each receive the additional $3,600, said John Jentz, the athletic department’s chief financial officer."

• Fire 3