Huskers Hire Keith Williams as WR Coach

I think back to this ..

Ekeler - GA when hired

Papuchis - GA when hired

Brown - Was out of football for years

Cotton - Was an assistant at Ames HS

Sanders - Was out of football

Compare that to the experience on this staff. Trent Bray is the baby on this staff, and he has spent the last 5 years at Arizona State or Oregon State as a LBs coach.

I don't doubt the coaching abilities of this staff. The talent and experience is there in that regard. I wanna see them prove it as recruiters though.

Brown and Sanders are good coaches, but I know what you mean.

And more importantly, I think Rilley takes advise from his staff, while Bo just wanted yes men.

I think back to this ..

Ekeler - GA when hired

Papuchis - GA when hired

Compare that to the experience on this staff. Trent Bray is the baby on this staff, and he has spent the last 5 years at Arizona State or Oregon State as a LBs coach.

I don't doubt the coaching abilities of this staff. The talent and experience is there in that regard. I wanna see them prove it as recruiters though.

:facepalm:

That's laughable in an embarrassing way. All of them learning and teaching on a job, while their leader is learning how to be a first time head coach and run a football program. To me it speaks a lot about the talent that comes into Lincoln to win at least 7 to 8 games each year. Every season. Coaching either helps improve, maintains, or sucks.

The communication from head down must have been ridiculous.

I think back to this ..

Ekeler - GA when hired

Papuchis - GA when hired

And more importantly, I think Rilley takes advise from his staff, while Bo just wanted yes men.

Don't think Bo necessarily wanted yes men but he did not respect/listen to the advice they were giving him because he thought he was the smartest man in the room (and to be truthful overall he probably was).

He hired people he was comfortable with, which is a good idea in concept, but he implemented it poorly.

In seriousness, diversity on the staff is good. I have no idea if this is more or less than average, but it doesn't really matter.

I think it is mostly with regards to the fact that for (what seems like) ever, the staff has always had 2 black guys on it. Brown and Gill, Jordan and Gilmore, Sanders and Brown, Brown and Joseph, Brown and Warren. How having 3 this year compares to the rest of the country, I really have no idea and I doubt that Foreman does either.

Don't forget Blake. Or are we trying not to remind the ncaa so we don't get slapped with sanctions.
Who is this Blake you speak of? Don't recall ever having a Blake as a coach

Oh that's right, I confused us with Oklahoma for a second. Nothing to see here. ;)

I think back to this ..

Ekeler - GA when hired

Papuchis - GA when hired

Don't think Bo necessarily wanted yes men but he did not respect/listen to the advice they were giving him because he thought he was the smartest man in the room (and to be truthful overall he probably was).

He hired people he was comfortable with, which is a good idea in concept, but he implemented it poorly.

Agree totally. Riley has known these guys for years. What's different is he's comfortable with them and they're at the top of their game.

• Fire 1

I think back to this ..

Ekeler - GA when hired

Papuchis - GA when hired

:facepalm:

That's laughable in an embarrassing way. All of them learning and teaching on a job, while their leader is learning how to be a first time head coach and run a football program. To me it speaks a lot about the talent that comes into Lincoln to win at least 7 to 8 games each year. Every season. Coaching either helps improve, maintains, or sucks.

The communication from head down must have been ridiculous.

This is why I see next year as a huge jump...A staff with tons of experience at getting players ready...NU already has good talent...The combination screams success.

2015: 11 wins!

Great new staff, experience with a nice mix of well thought of up and comers along with high football IQ and NFL ties that will help with recruiting and more importantly with winning (Wins are the best recruiters in my book). The fact that many have worked together in the past is also huge as we don't need to wait years for the group to bond or do team building staff activities.

• 3 weeks later...

More about Williams' experience:

Keith Williams, University of Nebraska

Williams is considered one of the upcoming stars in the wide receiver coaching ranks. The former Tulane wide receiver coach and prodigy of Tulane head coach and receiver guru Curtis Johnson is known for his passion and ability to teach at a very high level. Williams currently has eight former students currently playing in the NFL: James Jones (Oakland), Ryan Grant (Washington), Devante Adams (Green Bay), Isaiah Burse (Denver), Jalen Saunders (New Orleans), Seyi Ajiritut (San Diego), Marlon Moore (Cleveland) and Devon Wylie (St. Louis Rams). New Orleans Saints receiver Kenny Stills, and New Orleans native and Miami Dolphins receiver Mike Wallace train with Williams in the off-season as well.

As a recruiter Williams has been responsible for south Florida and chipped in throughout Louisiana, while coaching at Tulane. His bread and butter may be the West Coast, where he coached at Fresno State and recruited California very effectively in the past. He is also very close with LSU receiver Malachi Dupre, who referred to Williams as the best wide receiver coach he has been around, so there is some familiarity with LSU's future star.

• 3 weeks later...