500 Mile Radius

I was listening to analyst on the radio this morning and he was asked about why NE was not putting out the football players like in the past. He stated that the midwest was moving toward basketball. Basketball is played year round and football is not.

This is a big problem in Indiana. I've coached kids and had teammates that were damn good football players and very average basketball players. They would rather go to some low level D1 or D11 to play basketball than play football.

I was listening to analyst on the radio this morning and he was asked about why NE was not putting out the football players like in the past. He stated that the midwest was moving toward basketball. Basketball is played year round and football is not.

I would buy that more if we were cranking out basketball recruits but that's not really the case.

It might have some effect. But I would guess it's only about reason #3 at best. The first two being general not-as-much-interest/too-many-other-things-to-do that just generally depletes numbers and time put into football or basketball. And none of these kids being born the last time the Huskers won a conference title so they haven't grown up in the same winning culture.

My son pointed out this player from Blue Valley High School in the KC area (500 mile radius). He is a 6'6" 185 WR named Harrison Van Dyne. He has offers from KU, Minn, Wyoming and W Mich. He is visiting Wisc this weekend. Sounds like our coaches have talked to him or he at least lists us as an interest on his ESPN profile. His Hudl video (which my pc won't open).

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3932790/harrison-van-dyne

• 2 weeks later...

I don't disagree that if we want top talent, we have to focus on the population centers. One could illustrate the same point with a heat map highlighting the locations of 5-star talent though. It wouldn't seem as sensational but neither would it seem "rigged". Having to cut out sections on the East & South/Southeast seems a disingenuous way to illustrate a valid premise...

I saw this tweet last night and it made me wonder a couple things:

1. What is a good number to have on that list?

2. Does the number actually matter, or is it a quality over quantity scenario?

Sean Callahan said a couple weeks ago that he thinks about 65% of the class should come from the 500 mile radius. That seems a bit high but I think we should probably be able to get most of both lines from that area - maybe a top-shelf guy for each from somewhere else. For a pro-style system, you're probably usually looking outside the radius for a QB just based on the limited numbers you have inside. WRs probably the same. RBs and LBs I would think there would be options inside.

I would think we could get 2-3 out of Nebraska, 2-3 out of Missouri, 1-2 out of Colorado, 1-2 out of Oklahoma, 1 out of Illinois, 1-2 out of Iowa/Minnesota/Wisconsin and maybe 1 wild card (Kansas, SD, ND). That would be 8-14 which would be close to 50% in most years. That seems doable.

• Fire 3