500 Mile Radius

7 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Off topic but I have always thought that recruits with poor academics probably have poor work ethic.  Doing average in high school just isn't that difficult.  Also, if they are struggling in high school the time required for academics while in college could take away from time needed for development as an athlete. 

I'm sure that's true for some but I don't necessarily agree with it as a rule. If your parents didn't graduate high school or go to college it sets you back starting as early as your 2nd birthday, and this is something that is probably the case for a much higher % of would be college football players than your avg college student.

13 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Off topic but I have always thought that recruits with poor academics probably have poor work ethic.  Doing average in high school just isn't that difficult.  Also, if they are struggling in high school the time required for academics while in college could take away from time needed for development as an athlete. 

Not always the case.  We have had some hard working kids who are being raised in a really tough environment.  Hard to fault them sometimes when they have no positive Influences in life outside of sports and school and they are raising themselves and sometimes their siblings.   Sometimes it is not a matter of laziness, but the fact the kid is just surviving through the circumstances.  

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, swmohusker said:

Not always the case.  We have had some hard working kids who are being raised in a really tough environment.  Hard to fault them sometimes when they have no positive Influences in life outside of sports and school and they are raising themselves and sometimes their siblings.   Sometimes it is not a matter of laziness, but the fact the kid is just surviving through the circumstances.  

Underrated post of the day. Basic needs come before school. Too many families aren't lucky enough to have school sit at the top of the priority list. Different world than that of which many of us were blessed enough to grow up in. 

• 4 months later...

Nice mav!

showing that we are going after the BEST kids in the radius and getting them to come here. A true pipeline of talent from the radius means (hopefully, with more wins and national recognition) that we walk in to the schools in the radius and because we offer, we have a good shot at the best talent in the radius. Recognition, status, brand, and wins...

then we can branch out to spots all over the country which takes way more time, money, and effort and fill in the roster with ‘pick n choose’ elite talent 

I feel like your post shows that we are on that path!!

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

Just start landing guys out of st Louis and that 500 mile radius will be locked down.

I agree.  It is time to make a showing in St Louis and KC plus all the Webb City's and St Josephs in the state of Missouri. It's time for those kids to realize their parents can drive to watch them play in Lincoln rather than Columbus Ohio or Clemson SC.  

I’ve never understood the obsession with the 500 mile radius. Yes we want to control it and take any and all that we want but there are going to be years where our interests may be better served by not having a bunch of kids from the radius. We don’t want to let any worthy talent in the radius go elesewhere (Fant) but that doesn’t mean we have to take X number of players every year. Get the best ones, maintain good working relationships with the HS coaches in that radius but go after kids anywhere in the country that serves the purpose. Seems pretty straightforward to me. I suppose it became an issue when past regimes ignored some local talent and let them go elsewhere. The 2019 class is a perfect example of how to do it. We got the top 5 from in state and made some very good pick ups in bordering states. Our 500 mile radius is not the most impressive region of talent in the country but we should try to get everyone from that radius that we want.

And yes, we could exert more effort in the StL area but that is also within a lot of other schools radius. It stands to reason that area may be an indentation on our radius at least until we get some relationships built in that area.

• Fire 1
On 12/22/2018 at 7:12 PM, JJ Husker said:

I’ve never understood the obsession with the 500 mile radius. Yes we want to control it and take any and all that we want but there are going to be years where our interests may be better served by not having a bunch of kids from the radius. We don’t want to let any worthy talent in the radius go elesewhere (Fant) but that doesn’t mean we have to take X number of players every year. Get the best ones, maintain good working relationships with the HS coaches in that radius but go after kids anywhere in the country that serves the purpose. Seems pretty straightforward to me. I suppose it became an issue when past regimes ignored some local talent and let them go elsewhere. The 2019 class is a perfect example of how to do it. We got the top 5 from in state and made some very good pick ups in bordering states. Our 500 mile radius is not the most impressive region of talent in the country but we should try to get everyone from that radius that we want.

And yes, we could exert more effort in the StL area but that is also within a lot of other schools radius. It stands to reason that area may be an indentation on our radius at least until we get some relationships built in that area.

Agree. Especially now that urban is out maybe we can steal some of the St. Louis market 

• 1 month later...

In the transition recruiting Class of 2015, Carlos and Khalil Davis from Blue Springs, Missouri - as well as Christian Gaylord from Baldwin City, Kansas - all verbally pledged to Bo Pelini, but ended up being re-recruited and signing their letters of intent with Mike Riley.

That marked the high point of Nebraska football recruiting in Missouri and Kansas since then.

Gaylord had scholarship offers from Ohio State, Texas and a handful of other Big 12 and Big Ten programs; whereas the Davies twins had tenders from Oregon, TCU, Arkansas, Arizona State, NC State and several Midwest colleges. All three are now seniors on this upcoming season's Cornhusker team.

In the proceeding recruiting classes from 2016-2019, there were 19 total members of the Rivals250 from the states of Missouri and Kansas, but Nebraska signed exactly none of them. Oklahoma signed several, with Clemson, Ohio State and Wisconsin inking a couple each; while Northwestern, USC, Texas, Kansas State, Missouri, Ole Miss, North Carolina and Illinois have all signed one apiece.

HOL

• 3 weeks later...

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

Surprising that the KC area is so underrepresented.

Granted, that is a low amount, no dispute.

But there are some good prospects on the KCK side too that wouldn't be reflected here because of the state line split. Of 247 Sports Composite's top 17 prospects in Kansas, 10 are from the KCK metro (including one from Lawrence 25 miles away). 

• Plus1 1
Just now, QMany said:

Granted, that is a low amount, no dispute.

But there are some good prospects on the KCK side too that wouldn't be reflected here because of the state line split. Of 247 Sports Composite's top 17 prospects in Kansas, 10 are from the KCK metro (including one from Lawrence 25 miles away). 

I did see there were some listed on the Kansas side.  Just a bit surprised only 2 on the Missouri side

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

I did see there were some listed on the Kansas side.  Just a bit surprised only 2 on the Missouri side

I'm right there with you, surprised. Usually Rockhurst, Blue Springs schools, Lee's Summit schools, and Ray-Pec are churning out some talent.