Mavric

500 Mile Radius

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

Just start landing guys out of st Louis and that 500 mile radius will be locked down.

I agree.  It is time to make a showing in St Louis and KC plus all the Webb City's and St Josephs in the state of Missouri. It's time for those kids to realize their parents can drive to watch them play in Lincoln rather than Columbus Ohio or Clemson SC.  

I’ve never understood the obsession with the 500 mile radius. Yes we want to control it and take any and all that we want but there are going to be years where our interests may be better served by not having a bunch of kids from the radius. We don’t want to let any worthy talent in the radius go elesewhere (Fant) but that doesn’t mean we have to take X number of players every year. Get the best ones, maintain good working relationships with the HS coaches in that radius but go after kids anywhere in the country that serves the purpose. Seems pretty straightforward to me. I suppose it became an issue when past regimes ignored some local talent and let them go elsewhere. The 2019 class is a perfect example of how to do it. We got the top 5 from in state and made some very good pick ups in bordering states. Our 500 mile radius is not the most impressive region of talent in the country but we should try to get everyone from that radius that we want.

And yes, we could exert more effort in the StL area but that is also within a lot of other schools radius. It stands to reason that area may be an indentation on our radius at least until we get some relationships built in that area.

• Upvote 1

On 12/22/2018 at 7:12 PM, JJ Husker said:

I’ve never understood the obsession with the 500 mile radius. Yes we want to control it and take any and all that we want but there are going to be years where our interests may be better served by not having a bunch of kids from the radius. We don’t want to let any worthy talent in the radius go elesewhere (Fant) but that doesn’t mean we have to take X number of players every year. Get the best ones, maintain good working relationships with the HS coaches in that radius but go after kids anywhere in the country that serves the purpose. Seems pretty straightforward to me. I suppose it became an issue when past regimes ignored some local talent and let them go elsewhere. The 2019 class is a perfect example of how to do it. We got the top 5 from in state and made some very good pick ups in bordering states. Our 500 mile radius is not the most impressive region of talent in the country but we should try to get everyone from that radius that we want.

And yes, we could exert more effort in the StL area but that is also within a lot of other schools radius. It stands to reason that area may be an indentation on our radius at least until we get some relationships built in that area.

Agree. Especially now that urban is out maybe we can steal some of the St. Louis market