Kenny Bell on his career, the draft & Pelini audio

knapplc

I think we'll see Westerkamp and El take over where Bell left off without missing a step. I also see both of them surpassing what Kenny did here at NU.

Here are the numbers those two will have to average for the remainder of their Husker careers to match Kenny Bell:

Westy -- 830 yards / 59 receptions

Pierson-El -- 790 yards / 53 receptions

Westy has already asserted himself as a feature in the passing game, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a run at it, especially in a pass heavier offense. As for DPE it'll depend on if he's ready to be that #1/2 guy starting next year, something I think is more in doubt. It definitely won't be easy to beat Kenny's record.

Yeah, all three of those guys—Westy, Bell and DPE—were great in their own right. But they each had different skill sets since they played different positions. And Kenny Bell has several inches of height on the other two. (btw, I think Kenny Bell is taller than the 6'1" that is advertised.) We should probly be looking at Lane Hovey and Alonzo Moore. Those were the two guys behind Bell at X on the depth chart. Or maybe Tariq Allen since he is similar in height. It will be up to one of them to step up and take Kenny Bell's spot. And I think there is a pretty big drop off from Kenny Bell to any of the other three tall WRs we have coming back. IMHO

(btw, I think Kenny Bell is taller than the 6'1" that is advertised.)

Could be just the hair :D

Taariq Allen's a good mention. Listed at 6'3-200. Sam Burtch, too. But since the offense may be different it kind of throws everything in flux. I think Allen, Burtch, Moore, and Turner -- if healthy -- could all cut into DPE's opportunities as a receiver next year. But you never know, he could light it up and steal the show.

Westerkamp can credit a lot of his catches to Bell getting more attention. As the season went on and defenses began to see the big numbers westy was putting up, he was rarely heard from in the capacity he was early on. Kenny really did have a special talent for getting open.

As Knapple said, better QB play. How many times did we see Westy running wide open and TA locking on to one receiver (Bell)? Westy would have had quite a few more catches(as would Bell) had we seen TA make progressions, instead it was 1 WR and he was stared down nearly 90% of the time.
Maybe my memory is failing a bit, but sitting in the stands this year the majority of the time I yelled at him was him trying to force a ball into triple covered Jordan westerkamp. When Kenny was going in and out of injury and after Tommy and westerkamp got off to a hit start, that's all Tommy looked at for a few games.

Westerkamp can credit a lot of his catches to Bell getting more attention. As the season went on and defenses began to see the big numbers westy was putting up, he was rarely heard from in the capacity he was early on. Kenny really did have a special talent for getting open.

As Knapple said, better QB play. How many times did we see Westy running wide open and TA locking on to one receiver (Bell)? Westy would have had quite a few more catches(as would Bell) had we seen TA make progressions, instead it was 1 WR and he was stared down nearly 90% of the time.
Maybe my memory is failing a bit, but sitting in the stands this year the majority of the time I yelled at him was him trying to force a ball into triple covered Jordan westerkamp. When Kenny was going in and out of injury and after Tommy and westerkamp got off to a hit start, that's all Tommy looked at for a few games.

The start of the season yes, but towards the end there were quite a few times he threw to Kenny and Westy was wide open on the other side of the field with a catch would have been sure touchdowns, he was that wide open. I have to watch the games from TV so it's brought to our attention thanks to the talking heads commentating the games:)

It seems I've had to suffer through about five freaking speech classes in my life and it's a shame that a guy making 3 million a year didn't have to learn how to organize his thoughts in a way that didn't make him look foolish.....in that regard I agree with Kenny that it's unfortunate that Bo's "private meeting" wasn't handled better.

I really appreciate what Kenny did for the Husker program. He was injured much of the time but still gave it everything he could.....and his numbers are pretty remarkable considering that. I think we'll also miss that attitude that people complain about.....he's a team player and a good leader.

I think we'll see Westerkamp and El take over where Bell left off without missing a step. I also see both of them surpassing what Kenny did here at NU.

Here are the numbers those two will have to average for the remainder of their Husker careers to match Kenny Bell:

Westy -- 830 yards / 59 receptions

Pierson-El -- 790 yards / 53 receptions

Westy has already asserted himself as a feature in the passing game, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a run at it, especially in a pass heavier offense. As for DPE it'll depend on if he's ready to be that #1/2 guy starting next year, something I think is more in doubt. It definitely won't be easy to beat Kenny's record.

Yeah, all three of those guys—Westy, Bell and DPE—were great in their own right. But they each had different skill sets since they played different positions. And Kenny Bell has several inches of height on the other two. (btw, I think Kenny Bell is taller than the 6'1" that is advertised.) We should probly be looking at Lane Hovey and Alonzo Moore. Those were the two guys behind Bell at X on the depth chart. Or maybe Tariq Allen since he is similar in height. It will be up to one of them to step up and take Kenny Bell's spot. And I think there is a pretty big drop off from Kenny Bell to any of the other three tall WRs we have coming back. IMHO

I met KB at the airport he was shorter than me and im right at 6'2"

Biggest thing holding those guys back is having a quarterback who can deliver them the ball accurately and on time. Think of Bell's numbers if he'd have played with better passers the last two years.

You are correct, sir.

After you said this, I went to YouTube and looked at some Kenny Bell highlights. Very rarely does it seem that even those passes hit Kenny Bell in stride. He looks more like an acrobatic shortstop diving and leaping...and of course the plays were he was wide open and he couldn't make the catch aren't in the highlights.

• Fire 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Bell has long been a big champion of Pelini — the "head man," as Bell calls him — and said again Thursday that he wouldn't want to have played for anyone else. Pelini is an "NFL caliber coach," Bell said, and prepared Bell, and other Huskers, well for the league.

"I was devastated to see my head man go," Bell said. "I loved coach Bo Pelini, he's taught me so much and I couldn't be more thankful for the time that I had with him. But I'm not naive to see there weren't mistakes made. It's a shame that audio recording came out like that. I actually couldn't attend that meeting that night, so it was devastating to see that.
"But it was also (devastating), on the other spectrum, to see how we were handled as a team, and how I wouldn't ever want to handle young men like that, communicating with emails and such. The athletes at Nebraska deserve to be communicated with better.
"On one end, I look at my head coach, and I would ask more of him, just like he would ask more of me in that situation. On the other end, I ask more of the administration in that situation."
Bell said he hadn't talked with the administration at Nebraska about it — he is, after all, training for the NFL draft — but may at a later date.
"I love that university," Bell said. "I love the fans, I love all the coaches, I love the players. I have no qualms at all. I'm not upset. I just wish it had gone down differently."

OWH

I'm really going to miss Kenny.

Jumping on board with the opinion that I just don't get the hate. But I guess this is an example of how you're damned if you do or don't, people always whine about PC and generic answers; I don't think Kenny is capable of "coach speak", which I personally love and appreciate, but it bites him in the ass as far as people wanting to find something to take offense towards.

• Fire 1