Does the Pelini Era cast the Callahan Era in a different light?

knapplc

The only vision I have is the fans walking out on a Callahan coached team at halftime in Lincoln no less. I don't think anything can be compared to that. While he didn't swear at the media, but he told them they didn't know anything about football and he was doing a great job week in and week out which was hilarious. Almost as good as "I point the thumb"

There was one strange similarity and that was both coaches hitched their wagons to one QB. Keller for Bill and Taylor for Bo. I would still like to know why Taylor played the Minnesota game in 2013 but we'll never know.

Did you go to the UCLA game in 2013? Hows about Iowa 2013?

Just because it wasnt halftime, dont mean people didnt walk out on it..

I dont think anybody would argue Bo could have been better in most areas. But I think some of his anger came from the fact he did want to be here and it was becoming clear that would soon end.

But I refuse to go back and watch that nonsense knowing the outcome. It would be like hating the end of LOST but going back and watching the pilot.

was he really feeling the heat after beating ohio st. in 2011?

Good OP Knapp. It is funny how you can tie the 2 together in a real way: Bo's best D came from BC's recruits - including Suh. Some of Bo's most inept offenses came from the hold over of BC's coach - Shawn Watson. BC's biggest weakness was his D, but the best recruits were D players who Bo 'coached up'. Once Bo got his recruits - the D went downward - perhaps proves Bo's poor recruiting :dunno

I see both coaches as not being in the Nebraska Way. - BC wasn't a good fit in so many ways as mentioned by others, but Bo's personality was not a good fit either. I think most of us embraced Bo's "passion" at first but after a few years, it proved to have a sour side.

Overall, I like the change I see in attitude and experience and the embrace of Nebraska that the Riley staff has taken. I really think they will be a refreshing change after the Bo/BC eras. I believe this will be reflected on the field .

I was fairly young during the Cally years, but I feel like the Bo years made me question my fandom more than the Callahan era. Interestingly, the reason for this had nothing to do with the team. I will love the huskers even if they're a bad team. However, the way the fans acted during the Bo years really rattled me.

One of the things I love about being a NU fan is that the fans are polite and knowledgeable...it's a fan base I'm proud to be a part of. The BS that we turned on one another during the Bo years made it hard for me. So I think I'd take complaining about being bad over a divisive coach.

• Fire 1

I really think this new staff is a FRESH start for Nebraska football. And that is something that we hadn't gotten after the Osborne era closed.

Solich attempted to extend Osborne's excellence. And he was struggling to do that.

Pederson wanted to make his own Nebraska, so he was out to DESTROY what we had before to install what he wanted. It didn't work.

Bo was a reach back to Frank and Tom. He was given a lot of time to get this done.... yes seven years is quite a long time. Had he been a nicer guy or had marginally better results, we would still be trying it. He was too toxic and so we moved on.

Riley doesn't come in under the guidance of an AD who wants to destroy the legacies of Nebraska and he doesn't have any reason to reach back and attempt to keep up the old traditions or whatever.

Riley's Nebraska will be just that. It won't be Tom's Nebraska. It won't be Steve's Nebraska.

It will be a Nebraska that's based off of what Riley believes is the best idea for Nebraska to win going forward.

Also, Bo never made a schematical adjustment to the Big 10. I still say that if we were still in the Big 12, while we may not be more than the perennial 9-10 win team in terms of simple Ws and Ls, the embarrassing defensive performances we suffered would not have happened. As a secondary and coverage mind Bo is, and he is, and his desire to defend in a certain way, it was tailor made to face the offense he faced in the Big 12. The same kind of offense that are still used today. Bo had that figured out.

• Fire 1

When Callahan first came in here he failed to access the talents of his current squad and design a scheme around that. The result? Losing record. He had 2 respectable seasons and then the collapse. I believe Cosgrove did an average to passable job up to 2007. The Michigan bowl game with all of our linebackers out comes to mind. In 2007 somehow the defense completely collapsed. Was it player leadership? Coaching? Who knows.

Now when Pelini came in he made us respectable right away with a winning record. I recall the spring game where he was on the field while the plays were running to make sure things were getting done correctly. Of course Bo's downfall with many was his sideline and media demeanor. Blowouts and no conference championships made the unprofessional behavior hard to tolerate. The last Wisconsin game was the final straw.

I dont think anybody would argue Bo could have been better in most areas. But I think some of his anger came from the fact he did want to be here and it was becoming clear that would soon end.

But I refuse to go back and watch that nonsense knowing the outcome. It would be like hating the end of LOST but going back and watching the pilot.

In terms of job security? No. But I think he had come to a breaking point then with all the, what he would call, bullsh#t. Pressure, media, expectations. He started to crumble under it all. And he spiteful demeanor would get the best of him. He was never shy to pull the "I told you so card". It started to become obvious that 1 year in 2003 wasnt enough to expose him to the frantic lifestyle that being a head coach (no, not just Nebraska head coach) at a bigtime program actually was.

My diner doesnt serve your kind

Beyond that, he just decided, right then and there that he was going to leave? No, methinks he had NU in mind as a springboard for awhile. Otherwise, he tries to recruit at least a little and he doesn't force Taylor onto the scene, let alone play him hurt later on.

In hindsight, 2010 was a desperate all in attempt, future be dammed.

IMO Callahan never even tried to get what Nebraska as a college football blue blood was about. He completely treated the team like it was a pro team. He was willing to throw away 2004 in order to implement his system, just like a pro coach building for the future. That I didn't like. That 2004 team had enough talent to win at least 7 games and most likely 8 games.

Polo thinks BP didn't give a crap about recruiting, I don't think that is true, I just don't think he knew how to do it. He got better as the years when on.

Callahan always seemed like a bad fit. BP just couldn't get over the hump and it really started to wear on him.

• Fire 2

IMO Callahan never even tried to get what Nebraska as a college football blue blood was about. He completely treated the team like it was a pro team. He was willing to throw away 2004 in order to implement his system, just like a pro coach building for the future. That I didn't like. That 2004 team had enough talent to win at least 7 games and most likely 8 games.

Polo thinks BP didn't give a crap about recruiting, I don't think that is true, I just don't think he knew how to do it. He got better as the years when on.

Callahan always seemed like a bad fit. BP just couldn't get over the hump and it really started to wear on him.

Yeah this

You're free to think that Bo Pelini was on staff at Nebraska, Oklahoma and LSU before he was a head coach and "just didn't get" recruiting if you like. It's not very likely though.