Does the Pelini Era cast the Callahan Era in a different light?

knapplc

Its a different ball game when you go from being a coordinator to being a head coach. Still though, some guys it just isnt their forte or they arent in the right place to be successful recruiters. I think with Bo's 7+ years as a HC now he could go into a the Southeastern region and recruit the guys he wants for the system he runs.

Its a different ball game when you go from being a coordinator to being a head coach. Still though, some guys it just isnt their forte or they arent in the right place to be successful recruiters. I think with Bo's 7+ years as a HC now he could go into a the Southeastern region and recruit the guys he wants for the system he runs.

Ha. Yeah I'm really sure he's going to lift a bunch of sec talent over to Penguin country.

Ha. Yeah I'm really sure he's going to lift a bunch of sec talent over to Penguin country.
No, hes not.

I mean if he were a coordinator in the region or even head guy at an FIU.

I honestly dont see this Youngstown gig lasting more than a season or two.

IMO Callahan never even tried to get what Nebraska as a college football blue blood was about. He completely treated the team like it was a pro team. He was willing to throw away 2004 in order to implement his system, just like a pro coach building for the future. That I didn't like. That 2004 team had enough talent to win at least 7 games and most likely 8 games.

Polo thinks BP didn't give a crap about recruiting, I don't think that is true, I just don't think he knew how to do it. He got better as the years when on.

Callahan always seemed like a bad fit. BP just couldn't get over the hump and it really started to wear on him.

You're free to think that Bo Pelini was on staff at Nebraska, Oklahoma and LSU before he was a head coach and "just didn't get" recruiting if you like. It's not very likely though.

Because they are the same...Right

It would be like going from a store manager to being the CEO. There is a difference between being a coordinator and HC when it comes to recruiting. As an assistant, you recruit where you are told too and who to recruit, while being a HC means you are the one that determines where the guys go and who to offer.

• Fire 1

I think one was hired as a correction of the other. Just as our new coach was hired in correction of the previous coach. I don't think that is a proven way to hire coaches but it seems to be the pattern we are on. Maybe forever. I'm guessing our next HC will be 40 and have a demeanor opposite of Riley's. Ya know, if Riley doesn't win championships and only wins 9 or 10 games a year.

• Fire 1

IMO Callahan never even tried to get what Nebraska as a college football blue blood was about. He completely treated the team like it was a pro team. He was willing to throw away 2004 in order to implement his system, just like a pro coach building for the future. That I didn't like. That 2004 team had enough talent to win at least 7 games and most likely 8 games.

Polo thinks BP didn't give a crap about recruiting, I don't think that is true, I just don't think he knew how to do it. He got better as the years when on.

Callahan always seemed like a bad fit. BP just couldn't get over the hump and it really started to wear on him.

You're free to think that Bo Pelini was on staff at Nebraska, Oklahoma and LSU before he was a head coach and "just didn't get" recruiting if you like. It's not very likely though.

It would be like going from a store manager to being the CEO. There is a difference between being a coordinator and HC when it comes to recruiting. As an assistant, you recruit where you are told too and who to recruit, while being a HC means you are the one that determines where the guys go and who to offer.

Folks like Freeze seemed to make the transition......

I think one was hired as a correction of the other. Just as our new coach was hired in correction of the previous coach. I don't think that is a proven way to hire coaches but it seems to be the pattern we are on. Maybe forever. I'm guessing our next HC will be 40 and have a demeanor opposite of Riley's. Ya know, if Riley doesn't win championships and only wins 9 or 10 games a year.

Isnt that what every hire in history of every job on earth has ever been? The next being a correction of the previous? A hopeful upgrade? I'm just sayin, thats why you fire and hire. A hope or a need to get better. And if that next doesnt work out, well, you wash, rinse and repeat. Same thing with Riley. If we get 4-6 years in aint getting it done, then we try again. But i refuse to get caught up in the fear of becoming completely irrelevant and doomed forever. As long as this fan base has a heartbeat and Husker Football is the only show in town, it'll never become irrelevant. Baylor and TCU have become national powers for kriest's sake.

It is really funny reading this stuff, I caught hell for saying it since day one. But it is true. BC was not up on college football, but understood the recruiting side, was working to make it work. I still say that Keller coming on this team destroyed Callahan. Should never have been here, was a bad apple at Arizona State where the team did not want him there. Some of our top defensive players changed their whole attitude, one shared a room with him. Not to mention Bo in constant contact with the team, ILLEGALLY for almost a year, with the same speech about call me. I will help you bullcrap.

Bo had no idea of what it took to run the program, but worked very hard to destroy it under BC. But BC takes the fall, he deserves it, but I would much rather set down with BC at dinner tonight. He failed, he knows it, and he blames no one but himself. The other one says he has thumbs, but were never seen in action.

I met both of them, BC is a good guy, not even worth saying again on the other one.

My guess is someday, BC will be welcomed back to Nebraska, BO Pelini will never be invited back for any reason. Snakes never change.

• Fire 1

Hugh?

"seems" is pretty accurate. His success/failure is still up for grabs.

Hugh?

As a recruiting comparison (which stumpy and redux are in a kerfuffle over) it's not up for debate.

Isnt that what every hire in history of every job on earth has ever been? The next being a correction of the previous? A hopeful upgrade? I'm just sayin, thats why you fire and hire. A hope or a need to get better. And if that next doesnt work out, well, you wash, rinse and repeat. Same thing with Riley. If we get 4-6 years in aint getting it done, then we try again. But i refuse to get caught up in the fear of becoming completely irrelevant and doomed forever. As long as this fan base has a heartbeat and Husker Football is the only show in town, it'll never become irrelevant. Baylor and TCU have become national powers for kriest's sake.
I used the word correction instead of over correction. Bo was a hire to fix Callahans defense. Riley is hired to fix the image problem and fan disconnect left by Bo.

Hugh?

As a recruiting comparison (which stumpy and redux are in a kerfuffle over) it's not up for debate.

Oh. Gottscha. Nevermind.

I thought you were referring to wins and losses. #9-4

Personally, I think Bo is the worst thing to ever happen to this program.

For a man in such a highly respected postion as a Husker Head Coach and a leader of young men, I've never been so repeatedly disgusted by a grown mans behavior.

The childish tantrums.

The talking out both sides of his mouth as he preached point the thumb, yet pointed fingers at nearly every single outside aspect he could possibly point at.

Preaching 'core values' all while bad-mouthing his boss and exiting this program in a very disgraceful way.

Saying multiple times how all he cared about was championships, no moral victories, then boasting about multiple moral victories along the way.

Referencing the media and how he DOESN'T READ THE GARBAGE THEY WRITE, ....just to say a week later "I READ THE THINGS YOU GUYS WRITE AND IT'S HURTING THE TEAM".

Preaching integrity, doing the right things whilst no one is looking.....well two audio tapes say there's another area you were not practicing what you preached. You'd have to be a fool to believe these were the worst of the things he's had to say or the only times he's said them.

The arrogance of a first time head coach to repeatedly let the world know "I've been around this game a long time and when you've seen as much football as I have.......". We get it, you think you know it all....yada yada. For being in the position of a leader, and a teacher, you should always be willing to continue to learn from others. Did Bo seem like he was willing to learn from anyone else? Learn from his own mistakes? He may have said all the right things toward the end, hell even I was buying in. I thought he was coming around. He wasn't. The only thing he was figuring out was how to bullsh#t people a bit better. How to 'play the game'. In the end, he stood on the very same pedestal and preached 'stay the course', even as his failures and weaknesses were exposed in the same ways over and over.

Man to man, who approaches anything like that? What kind of man displays such a stubbornness to refuse to let go of HIS WAY, even when HIS WAY is exposing his team and his coaches to some of the worst physically and morally deflating defeats in Husker football history. That folks, is a rare level of bull headed.

I've never felt such an aura of negativity around Nebraska football as I've felt since Bo came here. It seemed never ending and went on for far too long. I'm glad it's over. I have a real distaste for the guy as a coach and as a man.

Hell yes it cast the Callahan era in a different light.

Callahan who?

• Fire 5

Pretty easy to do when this is how you recruit.

Personally, I think Bo is the worst thing to ever happen to this program.

For a man in such a highly respected postion as a Husker Head Coach and a leader of young men, I've never been so repeatedly disgusted by a grown mans behavior.

The childish tantrums.

The talking out both sides of his mouth as he preached point the thumb, yet pointed fingers at nearly every single outside aspect he could possibly point at.

Preaching 'core values' all while bad-mouthing his boss and exiting this program in a very disgraceful way.

Saying multiple times how all he cared about was championships, no moral victories, then boasting about multiple moral victories along the way.

Referencing the media and how he DOESN'T READ THE GARBAGE THEY WRITE, ....just to say a week later "I READ THE THINGS YOU GUYS WRITE AND IT'S HURTING THE TEAM".

Preaching integrity, doing the right things whilst no one is looking.....well two audio tapes say there's another area you were not practicing what you preached. You'd have to be a fool to believe these were the worst of the things he's had to say or the only times he's said them.

The arrogance of a first time head coach to repeatedly let the world know "I've been around this game a long time and when you've seen as much football as I have.......". We get it, you think you know it all....yada yada. For being in the position of a leader, and a teacher, you should always be willing to continue to learn from others. Did Bo seem like he was willing to learn from anyone else? Learn from his own mistakes? He may have said all the right things toward the end, hell even I was buying in. I thought he was coming around. He wasn't. The only thing he was figuring out was how to bullsh#t people a bit better. How to 'play the game'. In the end, he stood on the very same pedestal and preached 'stay the course', even as his failures and weaknesses were exposed in the same ways over and over.

Man to man, who approaches anything like that? What kind of man displays such a stubbornness to refuse to let go of HIS WAY, even when HIS WAY is exposing his team and his coaches to some of the worst physically and morally deflating defeats in Husker football history. That folks, is a rare level of bull headed.

I've never felt such an aura of negativity around Nebraska football as I've felt since Bo came here. It seemed never ending and went on for far too long. I'm glad it's over. I have a real distaste for the guy as a coach and as a man.

Hell yes it cast the Callahan era in a different light.

Callahan who?

classy.gif

• Fire 1