SIGNED - S Antonio Reed

If he can add 20 to 30 lbs and not lose that 40 time, he could be dangerous.

That's hardly necessary or hardly even possible. You don't add 30 lbs. and not get slower. Maybe there are rare occasions, but it's really not likely at all. I also think this size aspect we all think we need to play in the B1G is a bit overhyped. This kid will gain size simply by being in the weight program, eating well, and maturing but I hope the new staff doesn't make the same mistakes as the old staff and act like everybody needs to pack on unnatural weight. Each player has an optimal weight in which they can gain size and strength while maintaining speed and mobility. We saw too many guys the last few years who began to look really immobile.

Gaining Weight and speed is absolutely possible if u have the right frame. Usually the 2 go hand in hand. As u add good weight and strength you get faster. Now shorter guys have trouble adding weight and speed but this kid could get to 230 and get faster. Nice pickup

That's hardly necessary or hardly even possible. You don't add 30 lbs. and not get slower. Maybe there are rare occasions, but it's really not likely at all. I also think this size aspect we all think we need to play in the B1G is a bit overhyped. This kid will gain size simply by being in the weight program, eating well, and maturing but I hope the new staff doesn't make the same mistakes as the old staff and act like everybody needs to pack on unnatural weight. Each player has an optimal weight in which they can gain size and strength while maintaining speed and mobility. We saw too many guys the last few years who began to look really immobile.

I guess I see a Jay Foreman type here. Kind of a big safety with good speed. Puts on some pounds and remains fast.

Well said True.

I think a lot of the time people can easily get sucked into being a bit unrealistic about measurables, metrics, etc. A lot of the time the measurables reported to the recruiting sites aren't even accurate, unless the kid has been to a camp where they verify the 40 time. Even then, a guy could grow an inch or two and weight could change pretty drastically. The important thing is we got an athletic kid who's quite fast, has a good frame, and can play. Film should mean more to everybody than stats... film can't lie.

Dobson definitely had some of the guys out of shape. Obviously there's specimens like AA who are just physical freaks anyway-- can't really gauge S&C off of their fitness. Defense was hard to tell as well because a guy like Bando may have been carrying a little bit of bad weight also reportedly was slower because he was trying to mentally process the complex defense.

I always looked at the OL. Carried a LOT of ugly bad weight and you have to wonder what they could do if they slimmed down. They'd make a fantastic block on a pull that sprung a long TD, then turn around and get dominated the next series.

That and the injury prevalence meant Dobs had to go. So excited to see what Phillip can do with the guys. I've heard only positives so far, he'll be learning from Epley, and the dude's built.

Welcome to the team, Antonio! Glad you're a Husker. Come be a part of something special.

Spot on man. You gotta post here more often. You got some good knowledge. +1

I guess I see a Jay Foreman type here. Kind of a big safety with good speed. Puts on some pounds and remains fast.

That's cool. I could see that. I don't know how desperate we are at safety, but if this kid can add some more weight and move to LB I wouldn't complain a bit. We need some speed at the position, PERIOD.

That's kind of what I was getting at when I said unnatural size. Some guys have the frame to pack on muscle and carry it. Others don't.

Reed looks slow while moving quickly, I say this as a good thing. He seems to have excellent awareness and body control, and also identifies the ball very quickly. Not gonna a burner, but his length really has helped him at this level, I think he can get faster. You guys are probably right and he will most likely be an OLB, but I could see him doing well in a strong safety roll.

• Fire 1