Rand Paul is a douchebag

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/02/politics/rand-paul-vaccine-effects/

"I've heard of many tragic cases of walking, talking, normal children who wound up with profound mental disorders after vaccines," Paul said. "I'm not arguing vaccines are a bad idea. I think they're a good thing. But I think the parents should have some input."

Asked for evidence of those claims, Paul campaign spokesman Sergio Gor didn't address them and instead said that while Paul largely supports vaccines, "many" should be voluntary.

People who choose not to vaccinate their kids for funsies should be charged with child neglect.

• Fire 2

And this guy is a doctor! Right?

There's no way he believes in that. He has to not offend his base, though. It's crazy that there is even enough of a base that would be offended by this, that this has become, in the words of the NY Times, a "delicate issue to G.O.P. field."

The vaccination controversy is a twist on an old problem for the Republican Party: how to approach matters that have largely been settled among scientists but are not widely accepted by conservatives.

It is a dance Republican candidates often do when they hedge their answers about whether evolution should be taught in schools. It is what makes the fight over global warming such a liability for their party, and what led last year to a widely criticized response to the Ebola scare.

See Chris Christie too, who clearly believes in vaccination and vaccinates his kids, but look at his "fair to both sides"-style comments about it.

And this guy is a doctor! Right?

There's no way he believes in that. He has to not offend his base, though. It's crazy that there is even enough of a base that would be offended by this, that this has become, in the words of the NY Times, a "delicate issue to G.O.P. field."

The vaccination controversy is a twist on an old problem for the Republican Party: how to approach matters that have largely been settled among scientists but are not widely accepted by conservatives.

It is a dance Republican candidates often do when they hedge their answers about whether evolution should be taught in schools. It is what makes the fight over global warming such a liability for their party, and what led last year to a widely criticized response to the Ebola scare.

See Chris Christie too, who clearly believes in vaccination and vaccinates his kids, but look at his "fair to both sides"-style comments about it.

Eye doctor. I guess that makes him an authority on vaccinations

"I've heard of many tragic cases of walking, talking, normal children who wound up with profound mental disorders after vaccines," Paul said. "I'm not arguing vaccines are a bad idea. I think they're a good thing. But I think the parents should have some input."

Asked for evidence of those claims, Paul campaign spokesman Sergio Gor didn't address them and instead said that while Paul largely supports vaccines, "many" should be voluntary.

People who choose not to vaccinate their kids for funsies should be charged with child neglect.

You have no right to tell other people how to raise their children.

This seems like an unnecessary self-inflicted wound. Vaccinations aren't a major issue right now - it's getting play in the media, but very few people don't vaccinate their kids.

Why these politicians are weighing in on this, and professing a stance counter to what good research shows to be true, is beyond me. This can only hurt them, not help them.

He's heard of people getting sick from vaccines? Heard of? Well, I've heard of people being abducted by aliens too. Remember science, Rand. You know, that thing you're supposed to be good at. Science doesn't make assertions around things that are "heard" of.

This is ridiculous.

It's actually becoming a bit of an issue if you look at the trend for measles, for example.

http://www.cdc.gov/measles/cases-outbreaks.html

It's becoming a problem as people don't really get how vaccines are supposed to work.

I've had this conversation before in a status update but I'll say it again.

Contrary to the majority of the evidence, there is a real sincere fear in some parents right now about vaccinating their children. Whether this fear is truly legitimate or not, it is real for them. So when a parent is fearful of doing harm to their children, who the hell is anyone to tell them what they should have to do with their kids?

Instead of bashing their opinion, acknowledge the fact that the fear is real and try to help these families understand that they should not be afraid.

The problem is lack of trust. The American Public is so used to being lied to by their government representatives. That's the true issue. There's no trust. Especially when you consider the amount of money to be lost or gained.

You have to ask yourself why would the government acknowledge they may have caused record numbers of autism and other neurological disorders with a government enforced vaccination system? Why would they acknowledge that? Why would a pharmaceutical company who is making millions of dollars selling this product, acknowledge that the product either does harm in some cases, or is not needed in other cases.

Now I'm not playing devils advocate here. My daughter is vaccinated. My son was vaccinated up until ten months old when he suddenly developed epilepsy. (I'm not saying it was a result of any vaccines he received, we truly don't know what causes his epilepsy). What I AM saying is that the fear in some parents is real and I have three conclusions to draw from all the recent discussions.

1. A parent will/should do anything they can to ensure the health and safety of their child.

2. Money in some form or fashion, controls every aspect of nearly every thing in this country.

3. As much as those in the medical field claim to know, we don't know it all. Is it possible there are side effects that have not been acknowledged? It's plausible. Is it plausible that if these possible side effects were known, the powers that be would do everything in their power to make sure they were not held liable? Absolutely.

So really, unless you YOURSELF has ALL THE ANSWERS and would be willing to accept liability if you're wrong, I'd shut the hell up about judging who is doing what with their children. Maybe be a little more willing to see both sides of the argument and instead of simply JUDGING. Find a solution to help ensure people that they aren't going to be hurting their kids. Is there an answer for that? I don't have one. I don't know.

That's why I don't go around telling people what horrible parents they are. These supposed Christians sure do a lot of judging. I thought that was God's duty?

Also, no parent likes to be called a bad parent. It's actually one's the worse insults I could think of.

This seems like an unnecessary self-inflicted wound. Vaccinations aren't a major issue right now - it's getting play in the media, but very few people don't vaccinate their kids.Why these politicians are weighing in on this, and professing a stance counter to what good research shows to be true, is beyond me. This can only hurt them, not help them.

This is a valid point as well.

The fear may be out there, but we're talking about such a minority. Seems to be the new way. We spend a lot of time in this country talking about some really minor issues, as we overlook the most basic fundamental issues that have been plaguing the country for years. It's all about this "hot button" garbage that everyone wants to get involved in. It's a publicist stunt and an image builder. Politics have become a Hollywood game.

The problem with all that, True, is that parents who aren't vaccinating their children aren't just putting their own children at risk, they're putting the population in general at risk. And they're doing it based off bunk science, stemming from a guy whose license to practice medicine was revoked over this garbage.

The stance of "acknowledge the fact that their fear is real and try to help them" is as realistic as trying to help chronic drunk drivers. Sure, we should talk to them, take their keys, etc, but if they refuse to be reasoned with, we have the right to denounce their stupidity in doing something that puts others at grave risk, all because of a choice they're making.

I mean, don't tell me you don't judge drunk drivers for hurting others. Or is that a personal choice you're willing to let them make, putting you and your children at risk, because you don't know EVERYTHING there is to know about alcohol?

• Fire 3

You have no right to tell other people how to raise their children.

Tell that to the guy in jail for punching his kid. And try to tell me how allowing your kid to get a deadly, preventable disease is better than that.

• Fire 1

@knapplc

I agree. That is a huge problem. How do we solve it?

There's a lot of problems in this country we haven't solved. This is just another one. Like you said, probably a small one.

I don't have the answers. I'm not choosing a side. I tried not to come off that way. I simply say that calling people horrible parents when those people actually believe in their hearts that they might be hurting their child, well that seems unfair. How can we educate them to rid them of that fear? The evidence all points to vaccines being safe. Yet, as I said, people find themselves with what they consider a legitimate reason not to believe their government. I don't blame them.

We do have ways of dealing with repeat drunken offenders. It's called jail/prison. The risks of alcohol have been studied extensively. The side effects are well known. Yet it's socially acceptable as anything in this world for the most part. Yet, there are others who would see you drinking a beer/alcoholic beverage and ask "why is this guy dumping poison down his throat"? "He knows the side effects right"?

So can you take that logic and reverse it to vaccinations? Absolutely you should. As much as you enjoy your beer, there as people who believe your slowly poisoning your internal organs to death. As safe as you believe a vaccine is, there are people who believe you may be causing severe damage to yourself or your child.

Do we criminally prosecute people who don't vaccinate somewhere down the road? I don't know. Maybe that's the answer we all come to.

I do judge drunk drivers but at what point did it become a personal choice we allow them to make? It's not because I'm WILLING to let them make the choice. It's a choice given to them freely. Sadly until they make an ultimate mistake, it's a crime that can mostly go unpunished. I don't have a choice.

As much time and money that is spent in this country educating people of the dangers of alcohol and it's still an issue. Maybe a good suggestion would be to devote some resources to educating the American public about the safety record of the vaccination program. Maybe people just need to be informed more.

Link because it's NSFW.

We solve this problem by using logic & reason. Logic tells us there's no evidence that vaccinations cause autism, or any other, similar disease. Logic tells us that kids used to die in FAR greater numbers prior to the era of modern vaccination.

Yet people aren't doing it? Why?