Chatelain: Worst Husker Recruiting Class Ever

Mavric

Seriously? Why is there such butthurt over this article? If anything, it shows that we're on an upward trajectory, and that perhaps Solich was the architect of his own demise--something that we still debate aro--

*Looks at calendar*

Nevermind, I forgot it's the f*****g offseason. Bitch away. We've got a while before the spring game.

Your language is repulsive.....

I see this as mostly a "this is interesting" article. Don't get me wrong though, for the most part, I don't read Dirk's junk because after I read them I think "This guy... I want to punch him just enough to not get sued, because he seems like the kind of guy who would sue me for punching him in the face. He'd probably write an article about how ugly I am and how much money he gained from me and how much money I didn't have. Anyway, this guy sucks!"

However, the timing of the article is the worst. It seems like they are doing this thing all week, but the fact that the headline is there on signing day. Let's just say I was one of those who signed, and later on, I naturally go and see what each news outlet says about it and about me. I click on OWH and BOOM. That headline is there. As a newly signed Husker... That would make me want to punch "that guy". So for the timing, the headline, Dirk flippin' sucks.

The article itself, it has a more informative feel to it. I always ask myself about the recruiting hype and find myself saying "means nothing without proper coaching", Callahan had a top 5 class in Marlon Lucky's class (can't remember year). TOP 5!! (someone check that, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it was up there). I want to say Callahan got top 20 also during his time here. Anyway, Michigan also had some recruiting hype too recently with Hoke.

• Fire 1

I see this as mostly a "this is interesting" article. Don't get me wrong though, for the most part, I don't read Dirk's junk because after I read them I think "This guy... I want to punch him just enough to not get sued, because he seems like the kind of guy who would sue me for punching him in the face. He'd probably write an article about how ugly I am and how much money he gained from me and how much money I didn't have. Anyway, this guy sucks!"

However, the timing of the article is the worst. It seems like they are doing this thing all week, but the fact that the headline is there on signing day. Let's just say I was one of those who signed, and later on, I naturally go and see what each news outlet says about it and about me. I click on OWH and BOOM. That headline is there. As a newly signed Husker... That would make me want to punch "that guy". So for the timing, the headline, Dirk flippin' sucks.

The article itself, it has a more informative feel to it. I always ask myself about the recruiting hype and find myself saying "means nothing without proper coaching", Callahan had a top 5 class in Marlon Lucky's class (can't remember year). TOP 5!! (someone check that, I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it was up there). I want to say Callahan got top 20 also during his time here. Anyway, Michigan also had some recruiting hype too recently with Hoke.

I don't think Dirk has much editorial control on the timing of the article and the headline. He has written a number of recruiting articles this week, looking at NU's past. They just happened to have this article on the day after signing day. Also, Dirk doesn't write the headlines, his bosses do.

I agree with NUance that the title was deliberately misleading, and should have stated the 2000 class.

Man, Ross Pilkington was a pretty good go-to guy at WR. I forget why he decided to walk away. I just recall being disappointed because we needed him out there.

Pilkington played minor league baseball for a couple years out of high school (graduated in 2000). He got an arm injury and quit baseball. He enrolled at NU in January 2002. Since he was older, he might have just been sick of being involved in athletics, and was just ready to be a regular student.

On a side note, my little brother went to a NU Athletics "garage sale" they used to have to get rid of old jerseys and other stuff. He got a game-worn #2 jersey, which was Pilkington's number then.

That would make sense. An NU Athletics garage sale sounds exciting. Good choice on the jersey. If it doesn't say Pilkington, it might have been a Mickey Joseph jersey :lol:

- And what people said about it.

you seem a bit biased on this Mav..?? all the article is saying is that there was rave reviews about the class of 2000 and after time passed, didn't turn out so well for those guys... why is this bad..??

Why is it bad? Because Dirk wrote it. That's all. Some people seem to have a problem with him because he's not "rah-rah Nebraska is the best team ever!" Which, as a reporter, isn't really his job.

It's national recruiting day. We just landed a pretty decent class, #31 in the nation. Sure, it's not a top ten class. But it's better than nearly any other team that went through a coaching change. Instead of finding something good to say about our new recruits our local sportswriter Dirk Chatelain writes that this class could end up like the 2000 class. A class we thought was decent when signed but didn't have any players who went on to win individual awards.

I don't care if it was Santa Clause who wrote that article. I'd still call him a fuckwad. It's NSD. Pour some damn Kool-Aid.

odd...I read the whole article and didn't see him compare this class or even mention it..?? please refresh my memory.. Seems to me this article was simply about recruiting hype that may or may not be there, only time will tell.

panties, meet wad. wad, meet panties....!!!!

Two things:

1) When a journalist posts an article on NSD entitled "The worst Husker recruiting class ever", it's a click bait article. Why would a legitimate sportswriter post an article on National Signing Day about a recruiting class 16 years ago? Wouldn't that article be more appropriate on one of the next 200 offseason days when there's nothing to write about? If is wasn't click-bait, wouldn't it have been more appropriate to entitle it: "The class of 2000--the worst Husker recruiting class ever" ?

2) I wear boxer briefs. Not panties. And yes, my boxer briefs get wadded from time to time. And as I look back at Dirk's article in view of the bolded portion of your post, I see that you are right. Dirk did not "write" that. I will edit my post above accordingly.

funny thing, if you actually read the article, you would know that the title of the story was.. "Mad Chatter: The worst Husker recruiting class ever -- and what people said about it"

A list of players that were recruited for the Husker version of option football that Frank was running didn't excel in a totally different offensive scheme? I'm shocked.

I would think if there were some gems in that class, we would've seen them in the 4 seasons they had prior to Solich being fired (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003).

It was a bad class, and there was no excuse for it. Nebraska was an elite program at the time, coming off of a campaign in 1999 where they were arguably the best team in the nation. It's a compelling article because in this world of ranking recruits before they set foot on a field (which dominates this time of year), he is looking at the bottom line results.

I don't think it should upset anyone....except Solich apologists.

you seem a bit biased on this Mav..?? all the article is saying is that there was rave reviews about the class of 2000 and after time passed, didn't turn out so well for those guys... why is this bad..??

Why is it bad? Because Dirk wrote it. That's all. Some people seem to have a problem with him because he's not "rah-rah Nebraska is the best team ever!" Which, as a reporter, isn't really his job.

It's national recruiting day. We just landed a pretty decent class, #31 in the nation. Sure, it's not a top ten class. But it's better than nearly any other team that went through a coaching change. Instead of finding something good to say about our new recruits our local sportswriter Dirk Chatelain writes that this class could end up like the 2000 class. A class we thought was decent when signed but didn't have any players who went on to win individual awards.

I don't care if it was Santa Clause who wrote that article. I'd still call him a fuckwad. It's NSD. Pour some damn Kool-Aid.

odd...I read the whole article and didn't see him compare this class or even mention it..?? please refresh my memory.. Seems to me this article was simply about recruiting hype that may or may not be there, only time will tell.

Two things:

1) When a journalist posts an article on NSD entitled "The worst Husker recruiting class ever", it's a click bait article. Why would a legitimate sportswriter post an article on National Signing Day about a recruiting class 16 years ago? Wouldn't that article be more appropriate on one of the next 200 offseason days when there's nothing to write about? If is wasn't click-bait, wouldn't it have been more appropriate to entitle it: "The class of 2000--the worst Husker recruiting class ever" ?

2) I wear boxer briefs. Not panties. And yes, my boxer briefs get wadded from time to time. And as I look back at Dirk's article in view of the bolded portion of your post, I see that you are right. Dirk did not "write" that. I will edit my post above accordingly.

funny thing, if you actually read the article, you would know that the title of the story was.. "Mad Chatter: The worst Husker recruiting class ever -- and what people said about it"

Let it go pal.

Just for clarification, this is a post from his blog on the OWH - Mad Chatter. Its not something that gets published in the newspaper.

As mentioned by others, he's been posting historical recruiting nuggets all week. Titles:

How Tom Osborne lauched Steve Peterson's career in athletics

When Nebraska's recruiting misses angered a future congressman

The worst Husker recruiting class ever - and what people said about it

Osborne, Switzer, and a recruiting bouquet worth fighting for

Switzer's downfall gave Osborne access to a Hall of Famer

Some of y'all are filled with so much hate.

Steve Kreiwald was a beast. I miss fullbacks.

We played NLS in the state football quarterfinals my freshman year in high school, when Steve was a senior. It's probably a good thing for the sake of my physical health that I was just a JV player back then. He beat the crap out of our guys. We won the game, but it didn't stop him from running all over us.

• Fire 1

Two things:

Let it go pal.

I know...its always "let it go" with you when it turns on ya... say hello to the panties for me...K!

Way to go......start a thread with the name Chatelain in it, and it instantly owns the top of the Husker football forum list.

Then we all complain about it and it stays there for days, weeks, months, years.........

See?

(thread continues for 5 pages)

Yea, talk about 'click bait'. Good point

Two things:

Let it go pal.

I know...its always "let it go" with you when it turns on ya... say hello to the panties for me...K!

I guess you just don't know when to let it go, do ya? Your "funny thing" post above pointed out that I quoted only the first portion of Chatelain's rather long article title. From this you somehow drew the conclusion that I had not read his click-bait piece of shiite article. I'm not sure that's a valid conclusion to draw. But it would be valid to conclude that someone who won't let it go, and keeps posting crap in defense of this click-bait POS article, has their nose so far up Chatelain's ass that it's pushing up against the inside of his donkey teeth. Hee haw!! :lol: