Don't. They look good at first glance, but there are some very serious drawbacks. I did one similar to that once, and lived to regret it, I wanted the small form factor. The issues.

1 - Proprietary parts. All of the internal parts other than the CPU and the RAM are custom in some way. And Dell, who owns Alienware, is going to gouge you to replace them if needs be. And at the premium price, you will still be lacking features that cheaper enthusiast parts offer.

2 - Upgrades are going to be very problematic. With the above, you options are seriously limited. They build those to very limited specs.

3 - You won't get as much for your money. And their website is hiding specs. They are not disclosing which video card they are installing, and the numbers they show tell me you will have buyer's remorse when it does not perform as advertised.

The low end one of those is garbage. It will be under min specs of many new games in the next 18 months. A $400 PC is destined to be a door stop. Even the high end one does not include a GTX 970 or 980 which are the cards of choice for value to performance.

They are selling a bill of goods. Steam has Big Picture Mode as a standard feature, they are advertising it on there like its something special. Everyone has it. A wireless XBox 360 controller pack is $60, and there are lots of other options for controllers out there.

Building a gaming rig is always the best bang for your buck, and with the modular way everything is made it has never been easier to do it yourself. If you are interested, I could assemble some buying options for you to look at.

• Fire 2

strigori is correct. What you can build for the same money will outperform that unit. Hit him up since he's offering ;)

If what you want is a combo console/pc or living room pc, maybe look into "home theater pc" (htpc) on the home theater forums. Lots of folks use their HTPCs as steam/gaming consoles. They are not as popular as they were a couple years ago, but lots of options and still a lot of cases that don't look like a computer. I've been using them for years and they are ideal for steam (on top of all the other benefits).

As far as the controllers, I've used ps3, ps4, xbox, xbox 360, & xbox one controllers on a pc. The original xbox controllers required a slight mod (2 wires flipped so wasn't straight usb). The others just need drivers & if wireless, wireless adapter. PS4 is just bluetooth.

• Fire 2

HTPCs are just small for factor with minimal fans for quiet performance. Sometimes set up with a tuner card to be used as a DVR. Which ends up not being ideal for any kind of gaming, unless you are going to drop mega bucks for specialized parts, or going full in and water blocking both the CPU and GPU. Not a beginner friendly en devour. There are countless case options as well, I recently saw one that is designed to be wall mounted of all things.

For controllers or any other peripheral, if it can connect to a PC, someone has drivers for it to work. For the most part, Xbox controllers are plug and play anymore. PS3 and PS4 require 3rd party software, but there is really good freeware out there for them, which basically makes Windows think they are Xbox controllers. Oddly, PS4 controllers tend to be easier setup than XBone. MS didnt want to release driver and interface info for a long time.

Hey thanks I am just kinda getting into PC gaming. I got Starcraft 2 and had to upgrade my video card a year or two ago. I got things running smooth and had to Live away from home for work for about 9 months and the wife let the antivirus and malware expire and now my computer is all messed up. Working on getting it fixed but I am not the best at it.

HTPCs are just small for factor with minimal fans for quiet performance. Sometimes set up with a tuner card to be used as a DVR. Which ends up not being ideal for any kind of gaming, unless you are going to drop mega bucks for specialized parts, or going full in and water blocking both the CPU and GPU. Not a beginner friendly en devour.

I disagree with the bolded. After 13 years of using/building HTPCs. I have not found that to be the case. The last one I built to handle 4K 3D on-the-fly transcoding is a pretty good gaming rig and way better than the alienware steam box. I went completely digitial 4-5 years ago and other than a $15 HDMI splitter, it's straight off-the-shelf hardware. If you want full-on serious gaming, I don't see anyone going with a pc console unit anyway. I use my desktop or laptop for that but spend more time on the HTPC steam box. It's definitely a viable alternative to the OP.

Now if you want to run Linux on it instead of windows, than sure, not a beginner endeavor. Everything else is well established and not difficult.

Hey thanks I am just kinda getting into PC gaming. I got Starcraft 2 and had to upgrade my video card a year or two ago. I got things running smooth and had to Live away from home for work for about 9 months and the wife let the antivirus and malware expire and now my computer is all messed up. Working on getting it fixed but I am not the best at it.

There are free alternatives to the subscriptions. To fix what you might have, try MalwareBytes, its free and solves most issues. And honestly, there might need to be a discussion on what the hell she is doing to get infected with all sorts of things. You probably want to get her set up using Chrome or Firefox. Pro-Tip, never, ever use Internet Explorer.

Depending on what you are running, you might just be looking at some upgrades and not a full new build.

HTPCs are just small for factor with minimal fans for quiet performance. Sometimes set up with a tuner card to be used as a DVR. Which ends up not being ideal for any kind of gaming, unless you are going to drop mega bucks for specialized parts, or going full in and water blocking both the CPU and GPU. Not a beginner friendly en devour.

I disagree with the bolded. After 13 years of using/building HTPCs. I have not found that to be the case. The last one I built to handle 4K 3D on-the-fly transcoding is a pretty good gaming rig and way better than the alienware steam box. I went completely digitial 4-5 years ago and other than a $15 HDMI splitter, it's straight off-the-shelf hardware. If you want full-on serious gaming, I don't see anyone going with a pc console unit anyway. I use my desktop or laptop for that but spend more time on the HTPC steam box. It's definitely a viable alternative to the OP.

Now if you want to run Linux on it instead of windows, than sure, not a beginner endeavor. Everything else is well established and not difficult.

Water blocking a CPU is not that bad, GPUs involve disassembling parts of the shipped item, definitely not for beginners. The thing with those low end things, is they are sales pitching them as a straight up alternative to a PS4 or XBone, and that is just not the case. And unless someone has some knowledge of the ins and outs, and how fast everything changes, they will get screwed by Dell. They don't mention that what they are selling will not be able to run new games at 1080p at 60 fps. And the top one that runs above $800 to not have a 970 in it, is simply a travesty and complete BS.

I am keeping an eye on the development of the SteamOS as a Windows alternative for my gaming rig as it comes along. Microsoft's gaming plans seem to be to tell PC gamers to go buy an XBone.

I have used my gaming rig as a HTPC before, so I know it is absolutely possible to do both. Its just most of the builds I have seen for HTPCs are focused on doing silent performance video, and silent is typically not a hallmark of a gaming rig. Particularly when I have looked around forums focused on them.

I am keeping an eye on the development of the SteamOS as a Windows alternative for my gaming rig as it comes along. Microsoft's gaming plans seem to be to tell PC gamers to go buy an XBone.

I have used my gaming rig as a HTPC before, so I know it is absolutely possible to do both. Its just most of the builds I have seen for HTPCs are focused on doing silent performance video, and silent is typically not a hallmark of a gaming rig. Particularly when I have looked around forums focused on them.

From what I've read about Windows 10, it's built to be gamer-friendly (although obviously it's also built to tie in with the Xbox 360 or One). Could be interesting to see how the development of it goes in that department.

If it were me, I certainly wouldn't build an HTPC as a gaming rig. From what I've seen, most HTPC cases don't offer optimal airflow for a computer that's going to be taxed like a gaming PC would. It might be possible to stuff a closed-loop CPU cooler in one, but an open loop that could cool the GPUs would require most of the system to be external, and I wouldn't think that'd work very well with a typical TV cabinet setup. I'm running an open-loop XSPC kit in my gaming rig, and even with a massive full tower case, space is tight.

I was responding to the OP re: a small form factor steam box. My point was that for pretty much the same $$, he could build one for about the same price and in similar size as the alienware POS. I don't think any gaming system will be a world beater in the price range he mentioned (~$500). I've never had an issue with airflow in htpc cases but experience varies I guess...

Idk about windows 10. From what I've seen & in speaking with MS windows reps out here, I'm not holding my breath... MS is still struggling with a unified corporate/consumer/desktop/mobile O/S and I don't see that struggle changing... With the new CEO, they've gotten rid of a lot of the visionaries in regards to gaming. Will be interesting to see how that shakes out.

SteamOS was a great idea but it's so far behind. I've installed the "beta" a couple times and it's still too unstable/buggy (closer to Alpha code, imo). They started with Ubuntu then switched to Debian to avoid licensing issues. Problem is so little of the Ubuntu code base gets merged upstream and everything missing from Debian is what SteamOS needs. I hope Valve can get it together soon. On the upside, last few years have seen much improved Nvidia driver support & performance on Linux which is nice:)

The hope I have with the SteamOS is something actually focused on gaming. Typically something Valve is passionate about turns out solid in the end.

MS's perverted obsession with one unified OS is idiotic. My phone and my gaming rig have so little in common, a single OS is going to have issues with anything that it gets installed on. And lets face it, MS is not exactly solid in any form of mobile. I will have to see 10 in practice before I ever think of dropping 7, even with the free upgrade. The 'gamer friendly' aspects they have mentioned seem primarily aimed at working with an XBone. I don't, and won't, own a console of this generation, and have less than no interest in any form of integration. I have dealt with GFWL, and I imagine anything they bring in new will be in line of a replacement for that travesty.

• Fire 1

The hope I have with the SteamOS is something actually focused on gaming. Typically something Valve is passionate about turns out solid in the end.

MS's perverted obsession with one unified OS is idiotic. My phone and my gaming rig have so little in common, a single OS is going to have issues with anything that it gets installed on. And lets face it, MS is not exactly solid in any form of mobile. I will have to see 10 in practice before I ever think of dropping 7, even with the free upgrade. The 'gamer friendly' aspects they have mentioned seem primarily aimed at working with an XBone. I don't, and won't, own a console of this generation, and have less than no interest in any form of integration. I have dealt with GFWL, and I imagine anything they bring in new will be in line of a replacement for that travesty.

I will say that so far, I like what I've seen from Windows 10. I'm tinkering with the technical preview, and I definitely think it has advantages over Windows 8. I'm running it on a laptop that's by no means high-end, so I haven't done any sort of gaming on it yet, though, so the jury's still out on that. I have a stupid amount of free space available on my gaming machine, so I might do some partitioning and throw 10 on it to see how it does with games.

I do agree that trying to program an OS to run on everything the same way is asking for trouble. I never really liked the fact that Windows 8 was designed with a tablet in mind and feels like usage on a PC is just an afterthought.

Compared to Windows 8 & 8.1, 10 is better but that's not saying much. Overall MS still going the wrong way, albeit less than vista & win8. The xbox integration was finally in the January build a few weeks ago. Haven't tried it but sounds like it's still buggy (expected).

I did one win10 install on bare bones and have been using it in VMs since. Just too much of a pain rolling back to previous OS. Can't really try most of the gaming features in a VM. It was easier to get 2D/3D acceleration & related display features working with win10 in a VM than 8.1. Only tried it to see if it work, didn't need it. Even in Beta, win10 performance in a VM is much better than win8.1. It's just very unstable for my use.

I agree Valve eventually gets there and once they get a mature product, it's a good experience. The clock is ticking a bit though. Once Ubuntu mobile gets established later this year, there are supposed be TON of changes merged upstream. If SteamOS is live & established, those changes will be merged over time. If not, they'll come through much faster and that will require a lot of redevelopment work or complety forking from mainstream. Either one would be a big financial impact for Valve. If SteamOS goes live by summer (May or so), it's fine. If not, could get a little rough