Who will be the Walk-on Coordinator?

Frostberg

Almost all of these recommendations are guys who don't have any High School coaching experience and/or don't have any relationships with existing High School coaches in Nebraska. They wouldn't be a good fit for the job. Just because someone was a great former player, doesn't mean he's a fit for this job. Just because you played, doesn't mean you can coach or manage a scouting, PR and recruiting operation. Playing is good, but they better have the other skills needed. For those of us that have played and been coached by former "greats"- can attest to that. It doesn't matter what you know as a coach, it matters what you can teach- same goes for managing and recruiting.

I bet any coach would listen to someone that played at Nebraska and made a name for himself doing it. They don't necessarily have to have any coaching experience in Nebraska or be a current coach or have any experience/connections with Nebraska coaches. You build that trust/connection over time with communication and just letting them know you are there.

The position is not a coaching position either so the person doesn't need to have any coaching experience.

Almost all of these recommendations are guys who don't have any High School coaching experience and/or don't have any relationships with existing High School coaches in Nebraska. They wouldn't be a good fit for the job. Just because someone was a great former player, doesn't mean he's a fit for this job. Just because you played, doesn't mean you can coach or manage a scouting, PR and recruiting operation. Playing is good, but they better have the other skills needed. For those of us that have played and been coached by former "greats"- can attest to that. It doesn't matter what you know as a coach, it matters what you can teach- same goes for managing and recruiting.

I bet any coach would listen to someone that played at Nebraska and made a name for himself doing it. They don't necessarily have to have any coaching experience in Nebraska or be a current coach or have any experience/connections with Nebraska coaches. You build that trust/connection over time with communication and just letting them know you are there.

The position is not a coaching position either so the person doesn't need to have any coaching experience.

Getting someone to "Listen" to you and being able to execute the plan are two entirely different things. Coaches understand and respect coaches- people who have been in their shoes. What is that High SChool coach trying to accomplish in the recruiting process and how does that fit in to how I'm approaching the relationship or even a specific meeting? Coaches love dealing with guys who totally understand their needs and perspective. As coaches we have lots of people knocking on our doors and have met lots of coaches and ex players- a former NU player really isn't that big a deal. Most former coaches played, they don't get all wobbly kneed when a former NU player walks through the door. Now if that guy is a former player AND has all the above experience and can execute a well conceived plan, that's another story.

This has a lot to do with relationships- which includes the ability to relate to, have the respect of and work with a network of High School coaches. Then be able to develop, plan, work and successfully execute a scouting and recruiting operation. it requires problem solving, salesmanship and great organization and diplomatic skills. Just because someone was big and fast and or played football here- doesn't mean he has the skills to successfully do that job.

It will also require someone who will work their tail off, consistency etc and be an effective communicator with all types of demographics, from North Omaha to Chadron. That doesn't fit the bill of every half famous ex player who may be in the need of a job. Understand the audience, its building that network of coaches, then the recruits/ parents and here in Nebraska even the public at large. With our storied walk on program history and the level of "ownership" many feel, the public wants to know the walkon program is alive, well and thriving.

That person isn't an Ahman Green or Tommie Frazier

This isn't a job you let someone "try on" to see if he magically has all the skills ready to do it- doesn't have the relationships. Its not a 350k a year job any big time guy will take- but it isn't one of those 40-60k a year scout jobs either.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike Riley may have all of his full-time assistant coaches in place, but one critical hire remains.

The Husker head coach expects he'll soon fill a position that specializes at in-state and walk-on recruiting. As Riley describes it, though, the job has more layers than just that.
"I think we need a guy that is a good Nebraska high school coaches' liaison -- when they want to come to practice, when we're going to put on a clinic. Frankly, just developing a relationship for us in that area," Riley said during an interview with Journal Star reporters Friday.
In short, the person must know the prep football scene in the state of Nebraska inside and out.
"He can't be a guy that goes out recruiting, but he can be the organizer, he can be the guy that has the greatest handle on all the prospects in Nebraska," Riley said.
Actually, that's Nebraska and beyond.
"Sometimes when I'm talking about Nebraska, I might be talking about Nebraska, I might also be talking about Sioux Falls, South Dakota too, right? And Council Bluffs. Maybe even Kansas City.

LJS

Damon Benning.

I was going to mention him. I have a feeling he will be part of the program sometime soon. On his radio show his cohost, Sharp, keeps hinting at it and Damon doesnt ever say anything. Think he'd be good for the program. I think he would eventually like to be a coach of some sort though.
  • Fire 1

Damon Benning.

I was going to mention him. I have a feeling he will be part of the program sometime soon. On his radio show his cohost, Sharp, keeps hinting at it and Damon doesnt ever say anything. Think he'd be good for the program. I think he would eventually like to be a coach of some sort though.
I think Sharpe is just trolling him, but who knows. He would seem to fit all of Riley's criteria to a tee.