NUance

What exercise did you do today?

Me, I walked to work. Despite it being 9 degrees out, and a bit windy. lol

I try to walk to work two or three days per week. It's only 1.1 miles each way so it only takes about 20 minutes or so. 15 if I hustle. I normally don't walk when it's this cold out. But I've just gotten back on my feet this past week from a slipped disc the last week of January. Walking is good for the back. That, and I weighed in at 218 lbs yesterday. Walking is good for the belt too. :lol:

Mobility complex to get my hips and shoulders opened up.

Starting Strength routine: Squats 3x5, Bench Press 3x5, Deadlift 1x5.

Auxiliary core and arm work.

I got the lifting part down, I need to work on the nutrition (I hate the word diet).

• Upvote 1

I got the lifting part down, I need to work on the nutrition (I hate the word diet).

Awesome. How long have you been doing SS?

My daughter woke me up at 3:30 this morning, so I watched some TV and then went to the gym at 5. I got 30 minutes on the elliptical and a 25 minute weight workout (lower weight, high reps, low rest time between sets) in. Now, I am sleepy.

I think this is my 6th week. I started bare bar, like some recommend. I have lifted for 10 or so years, so it was certainly a shot to the ego squatting and deadlifting bare bar. It has helped my form immensely. I've moved up in weight incrementally, obviously more in squat/DL than presses. I'm doing the Wichita Falls Variant (I believe), that doesn't have snatch/cleans.

Squat 3x5

Press (alternating bench and overhead) 3X5

Pull (Deadlift 1x5 or pull-ups to failure)

After that, I mix in some core and other auxiliary lifts as desired.

I think this is my 6th week. I started bare bar, like some recommend. I have lifted for 10 or so years, so it was certainly a shot to the ego squatting and deadlifting bare bar. It has helped my form immensely. I've moved up in weight incrementally, obviously more in squat/DL than presses. I'm doing the Wichita Falls Variant (I believe), that doesn't have snatch/cleans.

Squat 3x5

Press (alternating bench and overhead) 3X5

Pull (Deadlift 1x5 or pull-ups to failure)

After that, I mix in some core and other auxiliary lifts as desired.

Nice!

I followed SS for the better part of a year. After a few stalls on pretty much everything, I switched to a light day in the middle of the week. That only worked for a 3 or 4 weeks. I'm now using the Texas Method and I like it quite a bit. This is my 14th week.

I've enlisted the help of an online coach to see if we can take it to the next level, programming and nutrition wise. It seems with my programming I could be working a bit harder, but my lifts are going up weekly so I can't complain too much.

I enjoy barbell training because you get a ton out of it with just a few simple movements and proper programming.

Any of you boys do weighted lunges? Been doing more and more and I feel the burn from those far more than squats. Squatting is a great base for leg size and strength and overall core strength but if you don't do lunges currently I would recommend it.

Today is chest and triceps day. I kind of mix up my routine and I don't hardly keep track of my weights and reps too much as far as week to week month to month. I do high reps and super-sets. Supersets meaning I'll do max reps for say overhead tricep on the cables and switch straight into tricep push downs. No rest between. It's two different exercise, same muscle group back to back and hits different areas of that muscle group. It helps with my intensity.

I'll do 8 sets of a particular workout. No more than 30 seconds rest between sets. I also like to drop set my last 3 or so sets. That goes for just about everything I do.

I mix in heavy days and light days. Sometimes if I'm feeling strong I mix up a bit of both. Depends on how I feel.

I was doing Jim Stoppani's shortcut to size program but Ive kind of fell off any set routine and have been doing my own thing. I'll prbabaly get back on that but I'm going to continue to do mostly high reps and 8 sets. Especially sticking to drop sets. I get the absolute best pump doing that.

I've been working on getting more and more diverse all while sticking to my mainstays. Any suggestions on some shredding lifts anybody has would be fantastic.

Been working hard on my chest. Just started doing cable flys where I start at the bottom and work all the way up each step on the rack. It ends up obviously being a crap ton of reps but it hits each area and I feel it big time about halfway through. Use a weight that you are nearing failure but not killing yourself. By the time you hit the top you'll be dying anyways. If you have to drop set the last few sets, have at it. I do!

I was doing Jim Stoppani's shortcut to size program but Ive kind of fell off any set routine and have been doing my own thing. I'll prbabaly get back on that but I'm going to continue to do mostly high reps and 8 sets. Especially sticking to drop sets. I get the absolute best pump doing that.

I did the Shortcut to Size program two years ago before I moved back to KC. I was the heaviest, biggest, and strongest I've ever been. After I plateau with Starting Strength, I think I'll make my way back to it.

I did the Shortcut to Size program two years ago before I moved back to KC. I was the heaviest, biggest, and strongest I've ever been. After I plateau with Starting Strength, I think I'll make my way back to it.

Currently doing this program, been doing it off and on for the past year. Way stronger than I used to be and the size I've put on is noticeable. I'm on day 60 today and did shoulders, traps, and calves. Great program that my body can't adapt to with the changes in weight and reps throughout the program.

After leaving the service i've gotten a bit lazy. Sadly now my only exercise comes in the form or running around Eagle Raceway and pushing Sprint cars lol. Although right now i'm exercising my resistance of smacking my coworkers around.

I am needing to get back into shape. With my job having a weight room I can use any time, theres no reason for me not to. But I don't know where to start. I know my gut is my biggest problem. What do yall suggest on what I can start with?

How much mobility work are you guys doing? I have lifted for 10 years or so, and have only recently realized how bad my form is. A lot of which dealt with my hips. I've really been working on opening them up: Limber 11, Kelly Starrett, etc. I wouldn't be able to get into the correct position at the bottom of my squat if I hadn't.

No mobility work for me. Though I probably should do some.

I was doing Limber 11 pre workout some time ago, but stopped because it was just wearing me out before my workout. I usually just do a general warm up on an stationary bike, then jump right into movement specific warmups.

For squat, specifically, I take a little more warm up with lighter weight to find the groove and get to depth. Then pile on the weight. My right ankle isn't as mobile, dorsiflexion wise, as my other one but my Olympic shoes with 3/4 heel help that quite a bit.

Speaking of shoes, if you squat a lot I'd highly recommend a proper lifting shoe of some sort. Heel height it up to you, but something with a non compressible sole and straps. Its light years better than squatting in trainers.

Speaking of shoes, if you squat a lot I'd highly recommend a proper lifting shoe of some sort. Heel height it up to you, but something with a non compressible sole and straps. Its light years better than squatting in trainers.

I've heard a lot of guys I trust in the field say the same thing. Any you specifically recommend? I know nothing about these kind of shoes.

45 minute walk over lunch each day. 45 minute cardio, strength and conditioning class on Thursday followed by 15 min ab. Tuesday is 45 min spin class followed by 15 min ab.

MWF I do http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/no-plateau-workout with bench on Mon, shoulder press on Fri and alternate squat/deadlift on Wednesdays. Simple programming and works well for levels untrained to advanced.

Training for indoor bike/run/row indoor tri.

I'm in the process of losing fat that I put on while focusing on just gaining strength. I've done it quite a few times over the years and for me it's a simple matter of calories in vs. calories out. Cut back on amount of food, eat more veggies, have a general idea of what foods contain and no fast food. To burn calories, I up the cardio and continue with strength workouts. I've gone from 280 to 245 and will continue on down to 225-230 range. Hopefully I'll do it without too much loss of strength.

I've heard a lot of guys I trust in the field say the same thing. Any you specifically recommend? I know nothing about these kind of shoes.

A lot of lifters use low top Chuck Taylors. Before I got mine I used to squat and deadlift barefoot. Running shoes with thick cushy heels are very bad for those lifts.

I have a buddy that swears by Adidas Powerlift 2.0 shoes. I didn't care for them and got a pair of UA SpeedForm shoes that I love for squats.

I have a pair of Rogue DoWins that I love. I heard they stopped selling them though :(

Lots of folks seem to gravitate towards Adidias AdiPower'ss or NIke Romaleo's

I'd buy them a half size smaller than usual as you want them snug. I bought mine that way and they were tight when I first got them but now they're perfect.

Watch out for shoes labelled as crossfit shoes that look similar. Those have a less compressable sole than a trainer, but it's still compressible. If you're primarily training the squat and deads, you don't want those IMO

Been doing Layne Norton's PHAT for a change up. I was doing 4 to 5 sets with 12 to 6 reps before, my own mashup. Today I benched and noticed a burn from warming up with 135x12, so I decided to go back to 4x12 routine and see where I was. Normally today called for 6x3 for bench focusing on speed. Holy hell did the last reps burn. My chest was on fire after every set. Not a fan of the PHAT hypertrophy stuff for major compound lifts. It really made me lose the endurance I had built up. And I haven't noticed any visible gains.

I have a pair of Rogue DoWins that I love. I heard they stopped selling them though :(

Lots of folks seem to gravitate towards Adidias AdiPower'ss or NIke Romaleo's

I'd buy them a half size smaller than usual as you want them snug. I bought mine that way and they were tight when I first got them but now they're perfect.

Watch out for shoes labelled as crossfit shoes that look similar. Those have a less compressable sole than a trainer, but it's still compressible. If you're primarily training the squat and deads, you don't want those IMO

What site do you use for an on-line trainer? I just started fit orbit and I really like it.

I did sprints.

Well, it was cold and I was out doing stuff with my son. He kept telling me he could kick my butt running so I raced him to and from the car a few times in parking lots.

It pisses him off when I beat him.

4 miles trying to do the chi running mentioned in the other thread.

Good for you sir. You might take .25 of a mile in each mile and give special attention to your form and think about Chi Running. That helps me a lot. You can't "focus" the whole time but it's good to take some time in different parts of a run to focus on technique.

Do you have a goal in mind with your running at the present time?

I run 40-50 miles in a week so I won't post what I do here as I would post something every day. :-) If you end up tracking your stuff on an app let me know which one as I might be able to follow your running.

Well,what I did was went through the posture steps at the beginning. Then, (I listen to 80s Rock right now when I run) at the end of each song I concentrated on my posture and how my feet were striking the ground.

My goal is basically just to stay in shape. But, since goals are motivational to me I had planned to run the Lincoln half marathon. Didn't get signed up in time so my new goal is to be in shape enough to climb a 14,000 foot peak in Colorado this summer.

I'm trying to increase mileage but I'm just getting over about two weeks of having a crappy cold so my body is saying...."no".

Chest, tri's and calves today, good workout, I had plenty left at the end so I think I killed it today because it's not an easy workout. 3 more weeks until I start training for my adventure race, I'm going to look into that chi running stuff as I've always had issues running and I'm going to have to start running for this adventure race.

• Upvote 1

So i have been stretching then running for the last month. Obviously was never a runner before, but someone suggested to jump on the bike for 5 min to loosen the muscles then stretch then run.

Helped...

Any other advice?

Ran 3.14 in 30 minutes(Personal best)

So i have been stretching then running for the last month. Obviously was never a runner before, but someone suggested to jump on the bike for 5 min to loosen the muscles then stretch then run.

Helped...

Any other advice?

Ran 3.14 in 30 minutes(Personal best)

Stretch after you exercise.

• Upvote 1

Start my 3rd cycle of 5/3/1 today with bench, incline DB press, barbell rows and heavy rope pushdowns. Took all of last week off to heal and feel great from it.

Just did the first leg workout of week 3 of the Arnold blueprint. Really intense, and takes forever since the UNL rec is crowded as hell on mondays. Ready for some chest tomorrow though!

Just did the first leg workout of week 3 of the Arnold blueprint. Really intense, and takes forever since the UNL rec is crowded as hell on mondays. Ready for some chest tomorrow though!

Early afternoon and mornings are the best times to go to the rec. It definitely wasn't as bad once they got all the new equipment, but they f'd a lot of stuff up. Like no decline benches at all, and pre-weighted ez bars and BBs that go up by 10 pound increments not 5.

Early afternoon and mornings are the best times to go to the rec. It definitely wasn't as bad once they got all the new equipment, but they f'd a lot of stuff up. Like no decline benches at all, and pre-weighted ez bars and BBs that go up by 10 pound increments not 5.

Yes! It sucks! I almost want to use one of the squat racks so i can go up by 5's when im doing barbell curls, but i know thats frowned upon so I won't

I know in January they still had the bars hidden in that little side room with equipment. You could ask for one if you wanted and I'm sure they wouldn't care.

I did line drills on the basketball court after I lifted today and holy crap am I outta shape again. Only did 3 and I wanted to puke. I guess the stationary bike doesn't do much for me.

Any of you guys ever do whats called "Rep and a halves"? I do supersets, and dropsets all the time but have just come on to this type of lift to change it up a bit. Its a real focus type of workout, good for triceps and biceps, but I'm sure you could do them with just about any lift. A "Rep and a half" is when you lift to full contraction, then release, but instead of a full release, only release a few inches then recontract the muscle to full contraction. It really hits the specific area. Great for preacher curl or any type of EZ bar curls especially.

I've also been doing these for about six months or so.... http://www.menshealth.com/workout-center/e/the-peak-fitness-workout/the-peak-fitness-workout/dumbbell-curl-with-static-hold/27696-27690-25805

another great way to keep that muscle contracted.