Gym Pet Peeves

Stumpy1

On 2/28/2019 at 7:19 AM, Stumpy1 said:

I took a year off from lifting and started back up at the beginning of the year and its crazy how bad this epidemic has become.  We have MULTIPLE guys come in and do nothing but upper body every workout.  

I usually squat and/or DL 3x a week because 1) They are 2 of the best overall lifts you can do and 2) I love the way I feel after doing the them.  Anyways,  these guys are usually in there when I am and last week,  one of them made a comment to me about how I tend to squat or DL every workout.  He said he has no desire to work legs because they don't help him look good with a shirt off.  I told him that not doing legs makes him look funny in shorts though.   He must have switched times coming in because I haven't seen him since.  

I'm with ya there! I just did legs today, I've actually for whatever reason got pretty decent legs so at least I don't look funny when I wear shorts! :lol:

On 11/22/2017 at 2:44 PM, admo said:

Hot chicks.  Too distracting

The last few Saturday mornings at the gym there was a young (19) girl who runs on the local college track team.  I've talked to her several times and try not to step on my tongue.  She is polite however and humors me and since I only ask about her success on the track she is willing to chat a few minutes. Last Saturday she came in a walking boot and said she had broken a bone in her foot. She was ranked 8th in the nation (NAIA) at the time (400 M ) I think. She missed Nationals which is this week.  She may be as perfect a physical specimen as I have ever seen.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 months later...
On 2/28/2019 at 7:19 AM, Stumpy1 said:

I usually squat and/or DL 3x a week because 1) They are 2 of the best overall lifts you can do and 2) I love the way I feel after doing the them.  Anyways,  these guys are usually in there when I am and last week,  one of them made a comment to me about how I tend to squat or DL every workout.  He said he has no desire to work legs because they don't help him look good with a shirt off.  I told him that not doing legs makes him look funny in shorts though.   He must have switched times coming in because I haven't seen him since.  

I think this happens a lot because of people have legitimate misunderstandings of what muscle groups are worked during certain workouts. Up until about six weeks ago, I would've counted myself in that group, the primary difference being that I haven't really done weight lifting since I was 16. We weren't given a lot of understanding about why we did stuff then. I think if people had a better understanding of why they did certain lifts then they would be more apt to do them. I think the deadlift is a great example of this as it targets muscles in the upper and lower body, and as it strengthens your core, it'll help in your upper body workouts.

• 1 month later...

I tend to just mind my own business in the gym, and frankly in life also.  Someone wants to dance on the treadmill, f#&% it shine on you crazy diamond at least you made it into the building.  I tried shadow boxing with 15 pound dumbbells once, got the strangest looks.  Who cares, who cares, who cares, not your life, not your problem.  Most people, myself included it takes every ounce of will to get them in that building.  And no one wants to be judged.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:49 PM, MacNCheeze said:

I tend to just mind my own business in the gym, and frankly in life also.  Someone wants to dance on the treadmill, f#&% it shine on you crazy diamond at least you made it into the building.  I tried shadow boxing with 15 pound dumbbells once, got the strangest looks.  Who cares, who cares, who cares, not your life, not your problem.  Most people, myself included it takes every ounce of will to get them in that building.  And no one wants to be judged.

I think that's fair for the most part. I've never made a funny look or done anything to make someone feel uncomfortable because hey... you're here and so am I. As long as you're doing something to help your body, it's all good.

The only thing I get mildly irritated about at my gym is the speedbag. My work has a pretty nice gym, but it's not overly huge. Maybe 2,500 square feet if you don't count the closed off classroom. The speedbag is right next to the weight lifting equipment and it's loud as hell, so it's sort of distracting. I don't really blame the people that go up to it though. It's more the fact that the gym felt it had to put it in, and virtually no one uses it.

• 3 years later...

It really pisses my of when I am Not being able to find the right sized shoe

"A 6-foot-10 high school freshman — with record-breaking size 23 feet — met with Under Armour for custom shoes on Sunday. 

Eric Kilburn Jr., a 14-year-old football player at Goodrich High School in Michigan, went viral after he and his family told The Flint Journal earlier this month that they’ve exhausted multiple avenues trying to find him shoes that fit."

https://nypost.com/2023/03/29/eric-kilburn-hs-freshman-gets-size-23-shoes-to-help-him-play-football/