Gym Pet Peeves

Stumpy1

Do any of you have gym pet peeves that just make you ragey? Mine are people that do arm curls in the power racks or squat racks. People that do circuit training and have to drag 100 things out to do it and then leave the sh#t laying around after they are done. Excessive grunting/screaming also pisses me off.

Some guy always hits the emergency shutoff on the treadmill and leaves... so people dont use that treadmill because they think maybe he is coming back.

Normally not a big deal but we only have 4 treadmills and at lunch time they can get backed up.

Our gym is in the first floor of our office building so 95% of the people are average people who dont workout that hard, so it is a good environment normally.

• Fire 1

Don't get much curling in the rack where I train. I don't think I've ever seen someone do it. Though it would be annoying.

I guess the supersetting or circuit training people who like to lay claim to multiple pieces of equipment at a time. That's just not right.

• Fire 2

I do a lot of supersets of two exercises. I've had people carry off my dumbells that I don't rack between sets. Irritates the heck out of me since I try to maintain a 2 minute rest period and I only do 2 sets so I'm not really using the weights for long. A 3 minute rest period is a big difference and I can't tell if I'm gaining and should up the weight for the next week. I guess the most annoying thing to me is people wearing earphones in the weight room since I can't yell at them when they try to use my equipment.

Reracking weights, removing cable pulley handle and moving the pin to the top is good gym etiquette to indicate you're done with the equipment. People like to leave 45 lb plates on the bench press but I always warm up starting with JUST the bar. Helps to enforce good form as well as warming up. People rerack dumbells but not straight bar weights so I just give a cursory look around before starting to use them. If someone is using it they can yell at me but usually sheepishly tell me that they were using it or move on :laughpound I wouldn't do it if people just reracked weights.

Some old guy in the gym used to use the only 25 lb dumbells to do some cardio type exercises for 20 minutes. He was never pushing himself enough to break a sweat so I thought it was silly that he couldn't just do the exercises faster with lighter weights such as 15 lbs which the gym has many.

Grunting is a funny one since a guy in the gym likes to grunt loudly when lifting and even running on the treadmill. I got used to it and tune it out but it seriously bugs a friend of mine to the point it chases her out of the gym.

I'm guilty of doing the straight bar curls off the safety bars in the squat rack but I know everyone that does squats so I relocate. I like the squat rack because it is close to the bench where I'm supersetting with tricep curls. I don't have to yell across the room at someone carrying off my tricep dumbells while I'm doing curls. Yea, it happened. Someone else's bad behavior is driving mine. I try to encourage people to power clean weight off of the floor when shoulder pressing instead of using the squat rack because you know, the squat rack is for SQUATTING!

I was impressed one day when I noticed one of the olympic bars was bent. I knew deadlifting 405 wouldn't permanently bend the bar. Found out some genius was doing shoulder shrugs but was dropping center bar onto a bench. I suspect it was the Shrek looking guy with overdeveloped traps who also was the one that told me how the bar got bent ("by some guy"). I couldn't figure out how to delicately tell him how ridiculous he looks but did tell him his upper body is totally out of balance.

Dropping weights is annoying. Usually people trying to deadlift. One day I was not really dropping the weights but they were making some noise. One of the girls that works in the gym got on my case. I've learned how to deadlift so that I sometimes barely kiss the floor each rep. It actually makes it easier. Kind of like compressing a spring on the way down by keeping everything tensioned. If I can get the first rep in I can get the rest. Also, I don't want them to outlaw deadlifts :ahhhhhhhh

• Fire 1

Oh let me count the ways...

Mine's mostly weight related since I prefer outdoor solo cardio. I'm kind of OCD about gym edicate, not the unwritten rules but the common sense stuff.
- People who don't re-rack their weights when they're in high demand, or they are going to be taking an extended break (which they usually forget and never come back for).

- People who do lifts while standing no more than a foot or two away from the dumbbell racks, other people use those weights too bud.

- People who stand in the in the middle of the path of travel through the gym and won't move, pay attentions to your surroundings please.

- People who sit down on an used piece of equipment that I need on because they worked "hard" and are tired, unless you just blasted your legs on squats or the sled stand up and walk around or stick to your bench/platform.

- Just people lifting stupid in general; swinging while doing curls for the entire set, bouncing the bar while benching, not controlling the weight through the full ROM, rounding your back on bent over lifts! It doesn't make me mad really, I just want to tell them they're not getting the full benefit, but they didn't ask...

• Fire 2

People that decide to take a 15 minute break between reps on a machine/equipment and then get mad when you decide to step in. Gets a quick "f#*k off" from me.

Had that experience last week. Guy is a regular and probably the strongest person in the gym, but he takes inordinately long breaks. I was scoping out this adjustable bench while I finished up my lift to see if anyone is on it because it has a towel thrown at the foot of it. Nobody is near it for a couple of minutes and everyone is using a piece of equipment so I figure somebody just forgot their towel, because if you were saving it you'd probably place your towel on the bench right? So I start my lift on the bench and he comes over all pissed off like and swipes his towel out from under the bench and pouts off muttering something (I have head phones in). He just glares at me the rest of the night, and he never even used a bench after that. It was pretty entertaining, but I would have apologized if he didn't act like a little 3 year old.

There was a guy at my gym that used the community hair dryer to dry his nut sack and ass crack after showering. Can't say I appreciated witnessing that.

As far as in the gym, when 2 or more muscle heads are lifting and they are doing weird sh#t like slapping each other in the face and screaming at each other to get pumped up to bench 375 one time.

Other than that, I usually just mind my own business.

People that decide to take a 15 minute break between reps on a machine/equipment and then get mad when you decide to step in. Gets a quick "f#*k off" from me.

Had that experience last week. Guy is a regular and probably the strongest person in the gym, but he takes inordinately long breaks. I was scoping out this adjustable bench while I finished up my lift to see if anyone is on it because it has a towel thrown at the foot of it. Nobody is near it for a couple of minutes and everyone is using a piece of equipment so I figure somebody just forgot their towel, because if you were saving it you'd probably place your towel on the bench right? So I start my lift on the bench and he comes over all pissed off like and swipes his towel out from under the bench and pouts off muttering something (I have head phones in). He just glares at me the rest of the night, and he never even used a bench after that. It was pretty entertaining, but I would have apologized if he didn't act like a little 3 year old.

Ah yes. the classic "death stare from the big guy in the weight room" dilimma. I'm like "dude, you cant even move your arms. Might wanna back off". LOL

I can understand taking long breaks. Hell, when I'm going heavy I take about 8 minutes between sets. Less rest will almost guarantee me not getting my next set.

But if someone wants to work in the rack I'm using, go for it. I'll even help you unload and load the bar if you want.

• Fire 1

I can understand taking long breaks. Hell, when I'm going heavy I take about 8 minutes between sets. Less rest will almost guarantee me not getting my next set.

But if someone wants to work in the rack I'm using, go for it. I'll even help you unload and load the bar if you want.

I mean I understand it but from someone who isn't training for raw power, over 5 minutes of rest seems wasteful. It's like the difference between being strong and functionally strong to me.

The dropping the weights thing can piss me off. We've had plenty of weights broken at my gym. Kind of stupid. I don't get too worked up about it though. The gal that works at the gym gets pretty pissed.

I do a lot of super sets but it's usually just different exercise with the same equipment though I do some bouncing around sometimes when the gym isn't so busy. A lot of people at my gym know they can hop in for a set. I'll come back to it. It doesn't bother me a bit. If I walk away from it, then I'm obviously not in too big of a hurry to bust out my next set. I don't let it ruin my day.

I don't like noisy people much I guess. If I got my usual crew of friends in there we get a little loud bit not overly. Mostly working but having fun too. I have been known to grunt a bit when I'm really pushing out the last heavy reps or so. Not ridiculous like some though.

I guess the little high schoolers or the 160 pound "badasses" we get through the door every now and then. They can be fun. Especially the recent group that came in and did the same stuff everyday. They literally would bench press everyday. Just killing themselves and never adding weight. So they come up to one of my good buddies that bench presses 435 and they say "how do you bench so much?". He says....."stop freaking doing it everyday"......they looked absolutely dumbfounded.

• Fire 1

There was a guy at my gym that used the community hair dryer to dry his nut sack and ass crack after showering. Can't say I appreciated witnessing that.

As far as in the gym, when 2 or more muscle heads are lifting and they are doing weird sh#t like slapping each other in the face and screaming at each other to get pumped up to bench 375 one time.

Other than that, I usually just mind my own business.

Really dude?

Time to find a new gym. WTF