Gym Pet Peeves

Stumpy1

I guess I could post my annoyances. To each their own, but if we're into judging people...

• The guy who wears tanks that are way to big so you can see the meat display. /oswalt
  • People who mean mug and aren't generally courteous.
  • Bench bro's. All bench. All the time.
  • Guy's who bench with their ass a foot in the air.
  • Half and quarter squat guy. I guess generally, half rep guy.

I guess I could post my annoyances. To each their own, but if we're into judging people...

• The guy who wears tanks that are way to big so you can see the meat display. /oswalt

That is considered a legal lift in the powerlifting community. It is almost like they are doing decline bench when they do that.

I just looked into this five minute rest thing and that long of rest is only suggested if you are doing extremely heavy weight (your maximum) with only 1-3 reps. I guess I wouldn't know anything about that because even on my heavy days I do weight I can rep between 5-6 times.

If you can hit your reps with the amount of rest you are taking, then awesome. Keep doing that.

My point was that when training for strength, the most important thing is to get your reps. If you need to rest longer to do that, then do that. That's all.

True. And when training for physique, take as few breaks as possible and rep out sets until failure. Massive bloodflow to the muscles you're working, causing them to tear. And in addition, you're burning a lot of calories since your heart is pumping faster.

• Fire 1

My biggest pet peeve is the guy who is using the machine/station I want to use, does 2 reps, and sits at that machine/station for 5 minutes, does 2 more reps, repeats, for 20 minutes.

Yeah, those five minute rest guys wouldn't last long at my gym. There'd be an uprising.

I'm assuming anyone doing a workout routine like that is either at a very large gym with a lot of free weights and machines, they're at a gym that literally nobody else goes to, or they work out at hours nobody is there or something.

I just looked into this five minute rest thing and that long of rest is only suggested if you are doing extremely heavy weight (your maximum) with only 1-3 reps. I guess I wouldn't know anything about that because even on my heavy days I do weight I can rep between 5-6 times.

If you can hit your reps with the amount of rest you are taking, then awesome. Keep doing that.

My point was that when training for strength, the most important thing is to get your reps. If you need to rest longer to do that, then do that. That's all.

True. And when training for physique, take as few breaks as possible and rep out sets until failure. Massive bloodflow to the muscles you're working, causing them to tear. And in addition, you're burning a lot of calories since your heart is pumping faster.

Yessir. That's how I do it anyway.

That is considered a legal lift in the powerlifting community. It is almost like they are doing decline bench when they do that.

In most federations, no, it's not legal. Here's the rules for for IPF (page 17) as USAPL (page 30).

Now there are about a billion "federations" out their with their own rules, so whatever. But generally ass in the air is a no no in most every legit federation and also can unnecessarily increase risk for injury.

Is training for physique like body building? I don't claim knowledge but wasn't Chaddy into this? I remember him saying that he never went to failure and made it sound like a bad thing.

Is training for physique like body building? I don't claim knowledge but wasn't Chaddy into this? I remember him saying that he never went to failure and made it sound like a bad thing.

Basically, although for people in my case it's trying to cut off the fat without sacrificing the muscle I have now. As oppposed to trying to slap more muscle on for the lucky skinny people. I do know that Chaddy took his lifting pretty seriously and he gave me some advice before, and he had good numbers strengthwise. Going to failure isn't really a bad thing, you just need to be smart about it. Obviously have a spotter, but make sure that your form is staying correct through out the lift. If you can't complete the rep with correct form that is also failure and the rep doesn't count.

• Fire 1

I like the guy who comes over to offer advice...

ha! Unsolicited advice guy is awesome. I hear some real doozies from these guys sometimes.

I guess I'm that guy but only if I see bad form where they might injure themselves. Maybe it's my approach but almost everyone appreciates the advise and asks questions. The guy doing the half or quarter squats with way too much weight? I leave him alone if he isn't hurting himself. I see a lot of curious stuff but at least they are in the gym doing something.

I like the guy who comes over to offer advice...

ha! Unsolicited advice guy is awesome. I hear some real doozies from these guys sometimes.

I guess I'm that guy but only if I see bad form where they might injure themselves. Maybe it's my approach but almost everyone appreciates the advise and asks questions. The guy doing the half or quarter squats with way too much weight? I leave him alone if he isn't hurting himself. I see a lot of curious stuff but at least they are in the gym doing something.
I hear ya. I just tend to wait for them to ask. I'm not their babysitter. Unless it was a real young kid or something.

In most federations, no, it's not legal. Here's the rules for for IPF (page 17) as USAPL (page 30).

Now there are about a billion "federations" out their with their own rules, so whatever. But generally ass in the air is a no no in most every legit federation and also can unnecessarily increase risk for injury.

Here is an article about it. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/fake_strength_stop_arching_the_bench_press

I don't agree with it but it is how a lot of powerlifters do their bench.

I am not a believer in raising your ass in the air to bench heavier. To me, it is cheating and is a fake bench. A friend of mine that powerlifts arches his back enough to raise his ass off the bench and that is how he goes about it. He said it shortens the route of the bar and makes it easier to lift heavier. Like I mentioned earlier, it is almost extreme enough that it looks like they are doing decline bench instead of FLAT bench.