Charlton Warren leaving

Well I guess if the other coaches on the staff and the players Charlton recruited aren't upset by this, then it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to get too worked up about it. Glad to see the players and coaches handling this with class and maturity.

^^ Yeah, this.

But it is a perplexing move. I mean, it's definitely a downgrade to a lesser program. I'll bet there is a story behind the story that isn't public knowledge. There usually is.

/ adjusts tin foil hat

Honestly, I have no idea if the db coaches we have had are just good or amazing.

A). We had a control freak head coach that this was his specialty. So, who ever came in, they were going to teach what ever he said.

B). We played a scheme where we had more guys in pass coverage than the normal defense. So, we look at stats of bad passing by our opponent but, was that because our db coach was amazing or because we had 5-6 guys back in pass coverage while the other team is racking up rushing yards?

Riley will find someone good and we will move on.

Looking forward to a new defense.

• Haha 1

Riley said it, Warren made a decision about family for once and not football. He did this for his family to be closer to home. Can't blame a man for that.

He probably told Riley he might be looking to get back home but he would stay on long enough to help with the transition and lock in the signing class. If he did that, he did a noble thing by sticking around to help Riley with the transition and to help him understand the old system. I think it was a great benefit that Riley and Banker were able to watch practice before the bowl, watch the bowl game live, and to get to talk with some of the old staff to learn about what they had on the team and what the team did. It gives them a lot to go off of without having to come in with absolutely nothing. I think this should help them in spring ball.

• Fire 3

“I think it is an issue,” Riley said Friday. “I think it is unfortunate for the student-athletes. I think they feel somewhat deceived, and I think that’s bad for our game in general.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/115739/mike-riley-on-post-signing-day-coaching-moves-i-think-its-bad-for-our-game

The press release is more politically correct, but these comments I would say are more of his true feelings on the matter,

• Fire 2

We can't hate on Warren we all loved and raved about him since he has been here. Let's face it UNC beat out Nebraska. We have indirectly been impacted by mediocrity. That's who we are now we can't even keep a good secondary coach for more than a year. Speaks volumes.

or a Georgetown basketball coach leaving for a job at Nebraska?.......

Prestige isnt the end all, be all in terms of coaching moves.

We can't hate on Warren we all loved and raved about him since he has been here. Let's face it UNC beat out Nebraska. We have indirectly been impacted by mediocrity. That's who we are now we can't even keep a good secondary coach for more than a year. Speaks volumes.

I am pretty sure that Georgetown coach that came to nebraska was getting the hint that his time at Georgetown was coming to an end. Not the same thing as Warren

• Fire 1

I am pretty sure that Georgetown coach that came to nebraska was getting the hint that his time at Georgetown was coming to an end. Not the same thing as Warren

Or the fact that he was given a new title to go along with his current title with the Huskers.

The good news is there is no one left to bail. Sounds like he didn't care for living in Nebraska and Papuchis got him the opportunity to go home. Everything has happened so suddenly that I can't say that I blame him for doing what he thinks is best for his family even though it's not fair to the players he coached and recruited. This is what instability gets you.

I'm sure Riley has met a few other DB coaches who wouldn't mind moving up to the big leagues.

Brian Christopherson@HuskerExtraBC 3m3 minutes ago

Eric Lee Sr says CW great guy. "As a father and businessman, I completely understand when opportunity knocks, you have to answer the door."

Brian Christopherson@HuskerExtraBC 2m2 minutes ago

Lee Sr.: "My son will be fine. ... I spoke to Eric briefly and he seemed happy & excited about the opportunity still ahead of him." #Huskers

That's awesome. Maybe we can find a coach for Eric that will stay around a while.

I understand opportunity and all of that, but when did loyalty and appreciation go out the window? I'm not going to miss a guy that only hung around for a year and then left after being the only guy retained by the new staff. I'm glad he left now. Being a NU coach obviously meant nothing to him. JMO.

I know we had a decent secondary, but very few interceptions that I recall (Nate Gerry seems like our best ball hawk). I'd like to get back to the days of the Bullocks twins -When defenders turned around and looked for the ball instead of letting it hit them in the back of the head.

I don't think it's legal to have defensive backs turn around and try to make a play for the ball. A defense scores points as members of the secondary are clocked in the back of the head by footballs. It's one point for a glancing blow, two for a direct hit, and three for getting hit hard enough to require concussion testing. Football is a complicated game, and as a mere fan I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

Sincerely,

Phil Elmassian

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...