ok... so who has some names for the new DB coach?

I heard the segment also. I'm surprised they are acting like Riley being in Arizona some how indicates the candidate is from there. They know how these things work.

To me, it sounded like they were pandering to people like you and me hanging on every bit of info that indicates who it might be.

My guess is that it will be someone nobody has ever mentioned or thought of but when we research the name, we will be impressed. At least with me, that's how most of these hires have gone this year.

I've grown to trust Riley at least to go get someone who has had success in that particular position.

Well based on the giant hint that Sharp and Benning just threw out, I will guess this guy:

Chris Ball - ASU Co-D Coordinator/Safeties/Def. Passing Game

http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=749629&SPID=126713&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=30300&ATCLID=207911638&Q_SEASON=2014

Need to do some more research on the connection though.

edit - some other options that fit the hint dropped:

Mike Chiurco - Arizona Cardinals Defensive Backs Coach

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/mike-chiurco/2a859ef2-1718-4915-b6f3-128c90109a22

Matt Caponi - Arizona Wildcats Safety Coach

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=750029&SPID=127113&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=30700&ATCLID=207985613&Q_SEASON=2015

However Damon did mention something about ASU campus, not sure why Chris Ball would leave the Co-DC title though

Ok I vote for Chris one reason only www.govandals.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=204760855

I heard the segment also. I'm surprised they are acting like Riley being in Arizona some how indicates the candidate is from there. They know how these things work.

To me, it sounded like they were pandering to people like you and me hanging on every bit of info that indicates who it might be.

My guess is that it will be someone nobody has ever mentioned or thought of but when we research the name, we will be impressed. At least with me, that's how most of these hires have gone this year.

I've grown to trust Riley at least to go get someone who has had success in that particular position.

Completely possible and I am with you in trusting Riley. I have liked his hires thus far after the initial haul from Oregon State, and frankly I am willing to wait and see on the 2 that I am unsure on (Banker and Read, mostly Read).

http://1620thezone.com/common/page.php?id=119

I am not tech savvy, so here is the link to the 1620 podcast Sharp & Benning from this morning, under "The Air Jordans" from 1:50-2:45. Gary says it could be a "wow" hire and could end quickly, Benning says like 10 days. The name has been thrown out on the show before, but they didn't say the name today.

When they were talking about that, I was thinking to myself that my dream hire would be Brian Dawkins. One of the best safeties to ever lace up in the NFL, and alread familiar with us since he was Lee's coach in HS. You'd have a ton of name recognition and BDawk is just a very intelligent guy. He'd be fun to listen to as a recruit.

However, I do not know if they've dropped his name on the show before. I can only hope.

BDawk would be badass! Probably wishful thinking though.
besides being a great player does he have any coaching or recruiting experience at the the college level? Great players don't always make great coaches.

He coached Lee's 7-v-7 team and he's also an assistant for a major HS program in Colorado. While he has no college coaching or recruiting experience. He does have limited coaching experience, and more than enough playing experience. The key with him would be how well he can transfer his knowledge to the players. In my opinion, he's worth a strong look. He has the right demeanor and I would classify him as an expert.

Dawkins is intriguing, but wasn't one of the complaints about Pelini that he brought on too many "beginner coaches" and Nebraska shouldn't be a training ground?

The difference might be that Riley would bring in a guy that actually played the position at the highest level and could teach what he knows from that. Bo never did that.
And even if Dawkins is considered a "beginner coach" that is one, not seven.
  • Fire 1

Dawkins is intriguing, but wasn't one of the complaints about Pelini that he brought on too many "beginner coaches" and Nebraska shouldn't be a training ground?

The difference might be that Riley would bring in a guy that actually played the position at the highest level and could teach what he knows from that. Bo never did that.
And even if Dawkins is considered a "beginner coach" that is one, not seven.

That is some serious revisionist history right there

John Papuchis was our DC...the majority of this board was as qualified as he was when he was hired here

I am not disputing that Bo brought in some unexperienced hires, especially in critical spots, but I beg to differ with the inferrence by Warrior10 that all but 1 coach was inexperienced when hired. I am happy Riley is here and was happy to see a change, but I don't get the overwhelming need to recreate history and spit on a man's grave. He did win at a high clip and did a lot of positive things, along with a lot of negative. The story is written, not sure why it has to be morphed into something it wasn't. And for the record, I am also not sure why comparisons, like Red Five's above, on decisions/hires/etc. need to be constantly compared back to Bo's tenure. Let Riley and his staff be their own and be judged on their own.

• Fire 3