Riley: Coaches Leaving after NSD "Bad for the Game"

Mavric

Nebraska coach Mike Riley said he’s open to a discussion on possible recourse for recruits who lose a coach in the aftermath of signing day.

Secondary coach Charlton Warren left Nebraska on Friday for a similar position at North Carolina, the latest assistant at a major program to bolt in the wake of Feb. 4, when college prospects signed binding letters of intent.
“I think it is an issue,” Riley said Friday. “I think it is unfortunate for the student-athletes. I think they feel somewhat deceived, and I think that’s bad for our game in general.”
A key figure with several Nebraska recruits and the lone holdover from the staff of former coach Bo Pelini, Warren wanted to move closer to family in the South, Riley said.
Last week, Stan Drayton left his job as Ohio State running backs coach for the Chicago Bears, drawing criticism from the high school coach of Ohio State signee Mike Weber. Jeff Ulbrich departed UCLA as defensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons, prompting linebacker Roquan Smith to renege on his televised announcement to sign with the Bruins.

Link

• Fire 2

That's definitely true. And though it sucks that it happened, at least Coach Warren stayed on as long as he did and wore that "Huskers" hat.

It's just got to be blindsiding. We've all heard the talk about how most of the recruits had asked about Warren. They seemed to have had him on board for the upcoming year. He was introduced with the rest of the staff at a basketball game halftime. Now, after all that, he picks up his bags and leaves? Did he ever really want to stay?

Oh well...onto the next guy. The curse of the Nebraska DBs coach position continues.

Well...if we were talking about the University of Nebraska at Moscow...

But...this is America...And Riley himself LITERALLY just jumped ship on his team/recruits/school in the middle of December.

It's going to happen and it's not going to change. But that doesn't make it good.

The biggest issue is the recruits have - I assume - been given the impression that a certain coach or coaches will be their coaches the next year. Some would claim they signed under false pretenses. If coaches leave in December, the recruit would know that before they signed.

• Fire 2

But...this is America...And Riley himself LITERALLY just jumped ship on his team/recruits/school in the middle of December.

In, December, recruits haven't signed anywhere, yet. So they are still free to look at other schools without losing any years of eligibility. I think Riley is talking about the time right after signing day, when the recruits have signed binding agreements to the school, and can't look elsewhere without losing eligibility.

• Fire 4

It's going to happen and it's not going to change. But that doesn't make it good.

The biggest issue is the recruits have - I assume - been given the impression that a certain coach or coaches will be their coaches the next year. Some would claim they signed under false pretenses. If coaches leave in December, the recruit would know that before they signed.

I get it...but the biggest "recruit" warren has is his family...his real life. If he thinks that leaving is a better choice...well...he needs to do that.

Could the NCAA implement a rule setting a "NSD" for coaches that requires the staffs to be in place a month before the actual NSD for recurits? You would probably have to move NDS back to March or April to give coaches a chance to interview etc after the football season ends.

A month before would not be possible without moving signing day. Not enough time between the New Years bowls and Signing Day. A Hiring Date of about a week before hand where coaches can not leave for other collegiate jobs would probably work fine. Though there would be no real way to keep guys from jumping to the NFL.

In, December, recruits haven't signed anywhere, yet. So they are still free to look at other schools without losing any years of eligibility. I think Riley is talking about the time right after signing day, when the recruits have signed binding agreements to the school, and can't look elsewhere without losing eligibility.

You sign to the school not the coaches, Having said that a lot of players sign due to the coach I think Alabama, Ohio state would have a weaker class with out there head coaches.Most player sign to schools which are close to home and if the style of play suits their abilities. We have to many rules now with out adding more.

I get it...but the biggest "recruit" warren has is his family...his real life. If he thinks that leaving is a better choice...well...he needs to do that.

Yes, but you're talking two different subjects. No one is arguing that his reason for leaving is bad. It's the timing.

• Fire 1

This sort of coaching carousel is becoming more and more common. Its rare for any coach, particularly the position coaches, to stick at the same school for more than 4-5 years. I honestly think these kids will soon start to understand this is a business and put less weight in the coach and more in the academics/location/fit.