Riley: Coaches Leaving after NSD "Bad for the Game"

Mavric

The students being held accountable is probably the least important thing right now. They have to play a recruiting game that's stacked completely against them at the schools' convenience, and then when it's done they sign one of the most one-sided contracts ever conceived. The coaches who recruited them there could jump ship the next day, and they'll already have forfeited their right to be recruited to any other school.

I mean, maybe there needs to be some kind of deadline. You stay employed at a school past January 1st, you incur a significant penalty for leaving.

Schools could work various clauses into the contracts, but if others don't include the same it may be a challenge to get the better coaches.

For instance, Oklahoma State is suing Texas because the O-Line coach that Texas hired away had a clause that he could only leave without financial penalty if it was to be play caller, so OSU is now suing to find out who actually calls the plays at Texas. If it is Watson, OSU is owed a bunch of money.

I think there has to be something done with regard to how coaches can come and go, but players have rules about leaving.. Someone on the radio the other day said in Volleyball, girls can just up and leave and go play somewhere else immediately, but baseball and football have rules. It doesn't make sense and is terribly inconsistent. I guess a lot of stuff with the NCAA is though.

I don't know that rules need to be that strict or prevent someone from going somewhere else. It just needs to be fair to everyone involved, students and coaches, which I don't think it is right now.

Well...if we were talking about the University of Nebraska at Moscow...

But...this is America...And Riley himself LITERALLY just jumped ship on his team/recruits/school in the middle of December.

It's going to happen and it's not going to change. But that doesn't make it good.

The biggest issue is the recruits have - I assume - been given the impression that a certain coach or coaches will be their coaches the next year. Some would claim they signed under false pretenses. If coaches leave in December, the recruit would know that before they signed.

I get it...but the biggest "recruit" warren has is his family...his real life. If he thinks that leaving is a better choice...well...he needs to do that.

Yes, but you're talking two different subjects. No one is arguing that his reason for leaving is bad. It's the timing.

I am not talking about two different subjects...I am saying that I don't care when the timing is...if it is better for you and your family...do it.