Husker athletes need a book or parking permit? There's a fund for that

Saunders

OK....they get room payed for. If they live off campus they already get payment for rent. They had a training table and now they have unlimited snacks and food whenever they want it. They have books and tuition paid for. They also have an account that will help them if they need an extra book, parking pass, clothes, transportation...etc.

Sorry, if I fail to see where there is thousands of dollars of expenses that are a burden to these kids. I'm simply asking for what those expenses are and all I get is....

Cost of attendance is an amount calculated by university financial aid offices, using federal regulations that include the total cost of tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, transportation and other miscellaneous expenses. The NCAA proposal would now count all of those elements into the athletic scholarship.

I'm simply asking what "miscellaneous expenses" equals thousands of dollars for these kids and nobody can itemize them for me.

Now, if that is basically made up of money so they can go have fun on a Saturday night....then, fine....but call it what it is.

Since you insist on making this difficult:

Phone bill, cable/satellite bill, electric bill, gas bill, gasoline, insurance, food, beverages, snacks, clothes, shoes, socks, underwear, car payments, bus fares, airline tickets, etc., etc., etc.

If you had scholarships to pay for all that, congratulations. You are in the extremely minute minority.

• Fire 2

Are these really costs to attend a college?

Since you insist on making this difficult: having a discussion about it is difficult for you?

Phone bill, ​Guarantee you 99% of these kids already had a cell phone before they ever were even recruited. Did something change?

cable/satellite bill, Entertainment?

electric bill, gas bill, Pretty sure this can be covered in the stipend they already get if they live off campus.

gasoline, insurance,For what? Lot's of kids go to college especially in larger cities without cars.

food, beverages, snacks, clothes, shoes, socks, underwear, ​Pretty much already covered.

car payments, Really???? :facepalm:

bus fares, airline tickets, Pretty sure plane tickets back home are already covered.

etc., etc., etc. Ok...this one pretty much sums it up.

If you had scholarships to pay for all that, congratulations. You are in the extremely minute minority. No, no scholarships but I did work 30 - 40 hours per week while going to school full time and I still didn't have the things these guys already have.

I don't get all the angst over this. Folks get mad when athletes get improper benefits & they get mad when athletes receive approved/above board benefits beyond what an average student gets. Does it make you mad when a student uses Pell grant $ to pay for tattoos or Beats headphones? It should, that's YOUR taxpayer $$ right there. The scholarship & fund $ comes out of revenues, rather see more of it spent on Student-Athletes.

I think it's great NU had the fund in place; I know a couple student-athletes that were able to use it to fly home on a family emergency. I also like the COA adjustment. If nothing else, it gets them started on managing $. It's not an easy lesson to learn and better to start them in college than after they graduate/leave...

Exactly BRB, seeing the kids with sleeve tattoos and Beats around their neck when on the practice field, it is hard for me to believe that they are hurting for money.

Funny on people are say "because" but not giving specifics.

I wouldn't generalize an entire team of individuals from different socioeconomic backgrounds.

I do think student-athletes, particularly at large institutions like UNL, have very good scholarship packages. In the basic package, they have tuition, room & board, which includes training tables and options to live off-campus. With the full cost of attendance packages, I can't see them not having enough money.

However, I don't know each individuals economic situation, like seems to have been requested in this thread. If the schools and NCAA are ponying up a little bit more money for these basketball/football athletes that don't have time for a job and want some more pocket money for entertainment, taking a girl out, clothes other than Adidas BS, etc., I'm cool with it within reason.

Furthermore, just because they had opportunity to apply for some of the categories previously doesn't mean the award, if given, was enough/fair.

It is difficult to know without the specifics of the cost of attendance for each school and the cost of living in that area. I do know, when I was in law school, the total cost of attendance number was very large and would allow you to live very comfortably.

Since you insist on making this difficult:

Phone bill - if they pay their own phone, kudos, but did they only decide to own a cell phone the second they enrolled here?

cable/satellite bill, electric bill, gas bill, - if you live on campus you don't pay for any of this, and if you live off-campus you get a check cut for the difference in cost (read: off campus is way cheaper but you still get the on-campus money) to pay for all of this and then some.

gasoline, - already covered and taken care of before the COA stipends came into existence

insurance - these kids likely already have insurance under their parents. if they don't, i don't know what NCAA/Nebraska policy is, but students get access to a lot of free healthcare benefits,

food, beverages, snacks, - please. they have dedicated full-time nutritionists and cooks that provide them with any food need they would ever have as part of their scholarship

clothes, shoes, socks, underwear, - they get dozens and dozens of each of these things from adidas, and again, the fund that has existed for years allows them to buy more. they also get a $500 clothing voucher yearly

car payments, bus fares, airline tickets, etc., etc., etc. - are you even paying attention to the thread?

If you had scholarships to pay for all that, congratulations. You are in the extremely minute minority. - yes, student athletes do, and have, have it very, very very good.

I don't claim to know exactly how schools calculate cost of attendance, but anyone who has filled out a fafsa knows that there are costs above tuition, fees, books, room, and board. I would wager a cup of coffee that cost of attendance includes all of the following.

1. One meal a week while classes are in session. Its been 50 years since I enter the University and neither of my children went to UNL but the best meal plan I have seen is 20 meals per week.

2. At least two trips home. The dorms close between the semesters and during spring break. They may finger in a third trip to get to school in the fall and go home after the spring semester. I am not certain I could even guess how this works with a mix of local students and those from far far away.

3. Laboratory supplies that are not listed in the sylabus and simple supplies that are lost or consumed. You get a box of pens to start the year. By Christmas you have lost them all. Your Botany professor states that the line drawing of some specimen are best done with a specific pen point (nib) and india ink. You're not going use your 19 cent Bic.

4. Laundry.

5. Repair of equipment. I broke a separatory funnel in Organic Lab. It was $12, which in 1966 was a lot of money. The minimum wage was $1.25/hour and gasoline was $0.329/gallon. If you get through the year without getting a bug in your laptop you were lucky. What does it cost to clean a labtop?

6. I might be able to come up with a few more. Others my contribute.