BigRedBuster

Nutrition

Nutrition is an interest of mine basically because of three things:

a) I love food.

b) I love to cook

c) As I've gotten older, I have become very health conscious and everything we put into our bodies plays a major part in that.

So, I find myself reading a lot about nutrition. Two books I want to point out.

Body For Life

I read this book probably 15 years ago and it really changed how I view food. The basic principles are to eat many small meals (5-6 times per day) centered around a quality protein, as many vegetables as you want and don't waste calories on crap. Keep it simple.

Grain Brain

I picked this book up at an airport one time simply because I wanted to read something on the plane.

What a total load of crap. I'm honestly embarrassed I wasted my money on this. This is a prime example of how someone can take the most outlandish idea when it comes to health and I'm sure someone is going to believe it.

Two things I've become very conscious of in the past 4-6 years are nutrition and spinal health. I've had problems with subluxations in my spine several times, and that really sucks since I'm not even 25 yet. I try to keep tabs on my nutrition, but my self discipline isn't near what it needs to be because I love candy :)

I first grew really aware of our digestive system's impact on our overall health about 6 years ago when I got a job selling a natural detox supplement during summer in my college years. At that time, I was 260 pounds and routinely ate fatty, processed foods and drank pop daily. By simply cutting out pop, I dropped about 40 pounds within a year and a half, along with improving what I choose to eat. For the most part, I try to stay away from anything that's processed like chips, some crackers, pop, and even flavored drinks. During this time, my body weight has been as low as about 195 pounds, and that includes gaining a lot of muscle through weight lifting.

Interesting article on how Brazil approaches nutritional guidelines compared to the US.

LINK

Brazil basically states how I try to eat. I eat very very few heavily processed foods. I try to eat a food as close to it's original form as possible. LOTS of veggies and very few deserts.

I'm looking over the past few weeks of the stuff I've eaten.

It doesn't seem like I'm getting enough protein and I'm getting too much fat.

My breakfast is usually a hardboiled egg, sausage, and a cup of fruit in it's own juice with no added sugar.

Lunches are usually a salad of some kind with add-ins like nuts, cheese, chicken, salmon, tuna, etc.

Dinners just kind of depend on what we feel like making that night. Usually chicken, tilapia, salmon, tuna, turkey and veggies and maybe a little bit of rice or pasta.

My snacks are usually nuts, but I'm trying to cut back since they have a lot of fat/calories. Going with cheese today, but I still need some help.

I don't see a whole lot wrong with those meals, GSG. Cheese might be hurting you a little, depending on how much are you eating. I somewhat ignore fat totals, as long as they are good fats. Fish/avocados/nuts v. cheeses/dairy/butter.

Everything thing I've read says I should be getting around 100-115 grams. Some days it appears I'm only getting around 70-80 grams though. Maybe I don't necessarily need a lot more protein, but just less fat.

Snacks I keep at work to help with protein intake: greek yogurt in the morning and cottage cheese in the afternoons. Throw a little fruit in there on occasion.

I'm looking over the past few weeks of the stuff I've eaten.

It doesn't seem like I'm getting enough protein and I'm getting too much fat.

My breakfast is usually a hardboiled egg, sausage, and a cup of fruit in it's own juice with no added sugar.

Lunches are usually a salad of some kind with add-ins like nuts, cheese, chicken, salmon, tuna, etc.

Dinners just kind of depend on what we feel like making that night. Usually chicken, tilapia, salmon, tuna, turkey and veggies and maybe a little bit of rice or pasta.

My snacks are usually nuts, but I'm trying to cut back since they have a lot of fat/calories. Going with cheese today, but I still need some help.

sounds a lot like my diet. However, I think I've over dosed on peanuts, sunflower seeds - the anxious or bored eating kind at work sitting at a desk. That is probably one reason all of the good food (in moderate servings) I've eaten & exercises hasn't lowered my body weight much. As noted on the other tread of mine (losing weight over 550) it was mentioned that fiber is really important - I've not done a good job there.

How much meat are you eatting per serving?

We don't usually measure it out. On the weekends, my girlfriend will make out lunches for the week (usually salads). She just divides it up all willy-nilly as far as I know.

We generally buy individually packaged fish fillets or chicken breasts, so dinner is one of those with veggies.

We don't usually measure it out. On the weekends, my girlfriend will make out lunches for the week (usually salads). She just divides it up all willy-nilly as far as I know.

We generally buy individually packaged fish fillets or chicken breasts, so dinner is one of those with veggies.

4 oz of lean chicken lands you roughly 22g of protein. I would encourage you to grab a scale for 10 bucks from Wal-Mart and weigh the meat. Will allow You to much more accurately track your protein intake. Also don't be scared of healthy fats from nuts etc. They are great for you and your insides! I would up the veggies decrease the fruit intake. Jmo

4 oz of lean chicken lands you roughly 22g of protein. I would encourage you to grab a scale for 10 bucks from Wal-Mart and weigh the meat. Will allow You to much more accurately track your protein intake. Also don't be scared of healthy fats from nuts etc. They are great for you and your insides! I would up the veggies decrease the fruit intake. Jmo

I had been looking at getting a scale for a while and never did. Maybe I'll try to find one

I had been looking at getting a scale for a while and never did. Maybe I'll try to find one

Wal-Mart is the cheapest place I found one at fwiw

That is where I got my scale.

Your diet looks good GSG. Maybe add a chicken breast or 2 to your salad and you should hit your daily intake for protein. Fats (good ones) are 2nd only to protein when it comes to macros that your body needs. Like Hedley said earlier, don't be scared of fats as long as they are healthy. I have read where some say you should actually take in 1-1.5 grams of fat per lb of body weight which is the same as you should take in for protein.

Everything thing I've read says I should be getting around 100-115 grams. Some days it appears I'm only getting around 70-80 grams though. Maybe I don't necessarily need a lot more protein, but just less fat.

Add another egg or two to your breakfast. Sausage isn't the greatest thing to eat either, lotta fat and sodium, but I understand how boring eggs can get. Like stumpy said a chicken breast on the salad would be good. There's a lot of ways to make chicken breast not so boring, but on a salad its pretty good too. 100-115 grams of protein is pretty low. I struggle with getting 200, but even on a bad day I eat about 120g with out protein powder. At the very worst I get 80, and that's when I just DGAF and eat crap.

That seems like a lot of protein. I just was on a site calculating my protein intake and it told me I should have about 85 per day.

That seems like a lot of protein. I just was on a site calculating my protein intake and it told me I should have about 85 per day.

What site? Most sources including my doctor say about .8 to 1.5g of protein per lb.

I thought I remembered reading something that if you're trying to lose weight, you should take your goal weight and eat about half that number in grams of protein.

So if your goal was 200, then 200 / 2 = 100 grams of protein per day

Anyone else remember anything like that? Or did I just make it up? :hmmph

I believe it was GNCs web site.

It had me put in my age, weight, activity level and goals.

Interestingly, now it comes up with 121 for my number.

LINK

OH...well...

Mine was 100

If you are trying to lose weight, protein is the very last thing you should cut back, if at all. Protein is essential if you want to recover from physical activity while trying to lose weight.

• Upvote 1

Cut back on carbs gents up your green veggies as well as lean meats.

Breakfast eggs(boiled or scrambled) don't worry about cholesterol unless you have issues with yours. Cholesterol is beneficial if you like testosterone AKA burn fat baby. Then have some Turkey bacon or sausage if you must.

Lunch have lean meat and greens

Supper have lean meats and greens

Toss in 2 snacks. Nuts, fruit(in moderation) protein shake wouldn't hurt.

Water, black coffee, unsweetened tea for your drinks.

I promise you you will lose weight

• Upvote 1

Breakfast eggs(boiled or scrambled) don't worry about cholesterol unless you have issues with yours. Cholesterol is beneficial if you like testosterone AKA burn fat baby. Then have some Turkey bacon or sausage if you must.

Sounds good. I would add on top of green veggies, consume a variety of colored veggies. All colors of veggies gives you different nutritional benefits.

In general, eat a lot of veggies.

Sounds good. I would add on top of green veggies, consume a variety of colored veggies. All colors of veggies gives you different nutritional benefits.

In general, eat a lot of veggies.

I agree completely, I would suggest corn and potatoes and carrots in moderation as well though. Carbs

Kind of piggy backing off of what Hedley said; BRB I'm pretty sure you're not really concerned about adding muscle from what you've said in the past about your activities and whatnot, but GSG what is your overall goal (just to lose weight?) and what do you do activity wise? Because you could easily increase your protein intake and keep it within your calorie allotment. The worst that could happened if you increase protein consumption on a caloric deficit is you would increase lean mass while you lose weight.

Kind of piggy backing off of what Hedley said; BRB I'm pretty sure you're not really concerned about adding muscle from what you've said in the past about your activities and whatnot, but GSG what is your overall goal (just to lose weight?) and what do you do activity wise? Because you could easily increase your protein intake and keep it within your calorie allotment. The worst that could happened if you increase protein consumption on a caloric deficit is you would increase lean mass while you lose weight.

I need to lose my gut and I other than that, I just want to tone up.

I work out at home, so it's mostly body weight exercises, dumbbell stuff, and cardio.

This is a big factor.

No, I'm not trying to build muscle. When I'm in shape, I have a very slender build with no gut. At 47, I am way past the point of trying to look ripped with my clothes off.

I don't think i have ever ate the amount of protein various sources say I should be eating. I have to think they are going off of the idea that I need a lot more muscle than I do.

This is a big factor.

No, I'm not trying to build muscle. When I'm in shape, I have a very slender build with no gut. At 47, I am way past the point of trying to look ripped with my clothes off.

I don't think i have ever ate the amount of protein various sources say I should be eating. I have to think they are going off of the idea that I need a lot more muscle than I do.

Protein

Proteins in food are broken down into pieces (called amino acids) that are then used to build new proteins with specific functions, such as catalyzing chemical reactions, facilitating communication between different cells, or transporting biological molecules from here to there. When there is a shortage of fats or carbohydrates, proteins can also yield energy.

Fat

Fats typically provide more than half of the body's energy needs. Fat from food is broken down into fatty acids, which can travel in the blood and be captured by hungry cells. Fatty acids that aren't needed right away are packaged in bundles called triglycerides and stored in fat cells, which have unlimited capacity. "We are really good at storing fat," says Judith Wylie-Rosett, EdD, RD, a professor of behavioral and nutritional research at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

Carbohydrate

Carbohydrates, on the other hand, can only be stored in limited quantities, so the body is eager to use them for energy. "We think of carbs as the [nutrient] that's used first," says Eric Westman, MD, MHS, director of the Lifestyle Medicine Clinic at Duke University Medical Center. "We can only store a day or two of carbs." The carbohydrates in food are digested into small pieceseither glucose or a sugar that is easily converted to glucosethat can be absorbed through the small intestine's walls. After a quick stop in the liver, glucose enters the circulatory system, causing blood glucose levels to rise. The body's cells gobble up this mealtime bounty of glucose more readily than fat, says Wylie-Rosett.

Once the cells have had their fill of glucose, the liver stores some of the excess for distribution between meals should blood glucose levels fall below a certain threshold. If there is leftover glucose beyond what the liver can hold, it can be turned into fat for long-term storage so none is wasted. When carbohydrates are scarce, the body runs mainly on fats. If energy needs exceed those provided by fats in the diet, the body must liquidate some of its fat tissue for energy.

While these fats are a welcome source of energy for most of the body, a few types of cells, such as brain cells, have special needs. These cells could easily run on glucose from the diet, but they can't run on fatty acids directly. So under low-carbohydrate conditions, these finicky cells need the body to make fat-like molecules called ketone bodies. This is why a very-low-carbohydrate diet is sometimes called "ketogenic." (Ketone bodies are also related to a dangerous diabetic complication called ketoacidosis, which can occur if insulin levels are far too low.) Ketone bodies could alone provide enough energy for the parts of the body that can't metabolize fatty acids, but some tissues still require at least some glucose, which isn't normally made from fat. Instead, glucose can be made in the liver and kidneys using protein from elsewhere in the body. But take care: If not enough protein is provided by the diet, the body starts chewing on muscle cells.

Your body will use up the carbs you ingest 1st. If you are cutting back on carbs you still have to eat. That leaves you with protein and fat. I would prefer to eat more protein.

I have to think they are going off of the idea that I need a lot more muscle than I do.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Most of the source for "bodybuilding" will tell you 1 to 2 grams per pound lean body weight, but if you don't want to grow then you really don't need to be consuming that much. On the other hand the CDC recommendations are extremely low, something like 50 grams, and that's for a sedentary person just to maintain their mass.

I need to lose my gut and I other than that, I just want to tone up.

I work out at home, so it's mostly body weight exercises, dumbbell stuff, and cardio.

Gotchya. I mean it sounds like you're doing a good job and the protein isn't unreasonable, but if you wanted to you should be able to bump it up easily and see what happens. I'd cut back on some carbs and up the protein ift that's what you want to do. Anytime I cut back on carbs I see a noticeable difference withing a week or 2, sometimes it's even a day. It's funny because as much as we know and think we know really it's all really just an experiment to find out what works for us.

I feel your pain on the gut issue too. Not to deter you but for me that is the hardest thing to lose, that's just the reality of it. I've got much better definition on my arms, forearms, and calves after losing 30 pounds, with visible veins on all of them, but I still have a nasty gut and some love handles. Some of it's genetics, but some of it's probably because I like real beer too much... Keep fighting the good fight though! Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy.

Hedley....

Yep....I understand that. I just have lived long enough on the diet I have and I am in shape and happy that I honestly can't see myself needing to all of a sudden start loading up on more and more protein. I eat good quality (usually low fat) protein with every meal. I don't shy away from it. Then, I usually fill the rest of my diet mostly with veggies and some fruit. I love bread so I will eat whole grain breads at least some every day.

This works for me. To consume 121 grams of protein like the web site I was at suggests, I would have to honestly start consuming the protein powder I purchased for my son. Naaa...no desire.

Now....if they would come out with a beer that is high in protein...NOW we would be talkin....

Now....if they would come out with a beer that is high in protein...NOW we would be talkin....

I've been looking for a business opportunity, I'll be right back...

Congratulations Hedy, you've come a long way from your vegan days. http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/63665-delete/ I hope our suggestions were helpful. :lol:

Congratulations Hedy, you've come a long way from your vegan days. http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/63665-delete/ I hope our suggestions were helpful. :lol:

I went vegan mostly for health reasons and also to see if I could do it. Once I started noticing my body struggle in the gym I went to vegetarian. Eatting dairy, eggs etc. Then I just got bored with it and went back to lean meats and veggies. Man that was an awkward stage in the evolution of me haha

I had totally forgotten about that discussion. I actually sat and reread that entire thread. :lol:

I had totally forgotten about that discussion. I actually sat and reread that entire thread. :lol:

That whole thread was a brutal intervention for Hedley. Some real gems in there that still crack me up. Jarvis's idea that vegetables should be served in case a food fight breaks out. Dude avoiding vegetables since they cause him to produce too much methane. Knapp saving the environment by eating beef. I forgot I created the spinoff thread as a reference for vegetarians http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/64515-vegetarian-favorites/ :laughpound We need more threads like that in the off season. Unfortunately it would probably end with a few bannings in todays kinder, gentler HB.

That whole thread was a brutal intervention for Hedley. Some real gems in there that still crack me up. Jarvis's idea that vegetables should be served in case a food fight breaks out. Dude avoiding vegetables since they cause him to produce too much methane. Knapp saving the environment by eating beef. I forgot I created the spinoff thread as a reference for vegetarians http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/64515-vegetarian-favorites/ :laughpound We need more threads like that in the off season. Unfortunately it would probably end with a few bannings in todays kinder, gentler HB.

I used to be all about confrontation...it led to many entertaining threads.

It's interesting and I am interested enough to explore it farther. However, I cringe when I read "anything can be healthy or unhealthy". I'm sure I just need to know what they mean. There are some things that are simply unhealthy to consume if you really want to be particular about what you eat.

Now, if they really mean that most of those things can be fine in moderation then I can live with that.

I've completely changed my diet over the past few weeks in preparation for my adventure race in June. It's been hard, but I've starting to get over the changes and I'm taking the mindset, "feed the machine, not the mind!" Started my half-marathon training yesterday, couple that with my final week of heavy weight lifting this week and I've been wiped out energy wise.

I've completely changed my diet over the past few weeks in preparation for my adventure race in June. It's been hard, but I've starting to get over the changes and I'm taking the mindset, "feed the machine, not the mind!" Started my half-marathon training yesterday, couple that with my final week of heavy weight lifting this week and I've been wiped out energy wise.

Do you log your workouts at all? I'd be interested to see how much strength you lose through your training, if it wasn't too depressing.

Hedley....

Yep....I understand that. I just have lived long enough on the diet I have and I am in shape and happy that I honestly can't see myself needing to all of a sudden start loading up on more and more protein. I eat good quality (usually low fat) protein with every meal. I don't shy away from it. Then, I usually fill the rest of my diet mostly with veggies and some fruit. I love bread so I will eat whole grain breads at least some every day.

This works for me. To consume 121 grams of protein like the web site I was at suggests, I would have to honestly start consuming the protein powder I purchased for my son. Naaa...no desire.

Out of curiosity is that because of the way it taste, or you just don't want to drink them. Because some of the stuff is pretty delicious.

Do you log your workouts at all? I'd be interested to see how much strength you lose through your training, if it wasn't too depressing.

Hedley....

Out of curiosity is that because of the way it taste, or you just don't want to drink them. Because some of the stuff is pretty delicious.

I would just personally like to stay away from spending the money on them, going through the hassle of mixing...etc. I would prefer to eat the way I have done for a long time of eating foods as close to their original state as possible. Lean meats, fruits, lots of veggies....etc.

• Upvote 1

Hedley....

I log them on a workout book I keep, trouble is I'm going to be transitioning from mostly free weight lifting, to almost all cardio with some TRX mixed it for this adventure race. I've gotta get my core stronger for the rowing portion and TRX basically focuses on core quite a bit. Plus I get an injection in my back here soon and my doctor says to chill on the weights for a few months while we're doing this. No problem, I'll have no choice but to chill with all the damn running I have to do for the next 15 weeks.

You could still do weights 2 or 3 times a week for a half hour or so. Maybe a quick full body workout focusing on the major compound lifts and an accessory lift or two, or still do a split routine so you can keep the time down but go an extra day. Just a thought...

You could still do weights 2 or 3 times a week for a half hour or so. Maybe a quick full body workout focusing on the major compound lifts and an accessory lift or two, or still do a split routine so you can keep the time down but go an extra day. Just a thought...

It's possible, but over training probably starts coming into play somewhere. I have to bike, half-marathon train, and row somehow, then throw lifting in there and I could be in the gym for hours. I'm planning on finalizing my training plan this weekend for the next 15 weeks.

Overtraining doesn't exist. Some of the best gains I have got involved me doing my big 3 lifts one day(bench,squat,dead) and a body part I am trying to add mass to for the other 4 days. Arms for example. Do bis and tris 4 days a week for roughly 6 weeks and you will add around an inch to your arms

Overtraining doesn't exist. Some of the best gains I have got involved me doing my big 3 lifts one day(bench,squat,dead) and a body part I am trying to add mass to for the other 4 days. Arms for example. Do bis and tris 4 days a week for roughly 6 weeks and you will add around an inch to your arms

Yes it does... Otherwise you would be able to go balls to the wall performing the same lifts and cardio everyday and your body would simply adapt without injury, or mental or physical fatigue. That doesn't happen.

I assume you probably work 12 hour shifts BRI so that would be a pretty hellatious. But if I was at the gym I would want to at least try and get in one major lift, that's just me though.

Over training is a very real thing.

Over training is a very real thing.

It can be, but for most recreational folks I see it used more of an excuse than an actual thing.