Nutrition

Nutrition is an interest of mine basically because of three things:

a) I love food.

b) I love to cook

c) As I've gotten older, I have become very health conscious and everything we put into our bodies plays a major part in that.

So, I find myself reading a lot about nutrition. Two books I want to point out.

Body For Life

I read this book probably 15 years ago and it really changed how I view food. The basic principles are to eat many small meals (5-6 times per day) centered around a quality protein, as many vegetables as you want and don't waste calories on crap. Keep it simple.

Grain Brain

I picked this book up at an airport one time simply because I wanted to read something on the plane.

What a total load of crap. I'm honestly embarrassed I wasted my money on this. This is a prime example of how someone can take the most outlandish idea when it comes to health and I'm sure someone is going to believe it.

Two things I've become very conscious of in the past 4-6 years are nutrition and spinal health. I've had problems with subluxations in my spine several times, and that really sucks since I'm not even 25 yet. I try to keep tabs on my nutrition, but my self discipline isn't near what it needs to be because I love candy :)

I first grew really aware of our digestive system's impact on our overall health about 6 years ago when I got a job selling a natural detox supplement during summer in my college years. At that time, I was 260 pounds and routinely ate fatty, processed foods and drank pop daily. By simply cutting out pop, I dropped about 40 pounds within a year and a half, along with improving what I choose to eat. For the most part, I try to stay away from anything that's processed like chips, some crackers, pop, and even flavored drinks. During this time, my body weight has been as low as about 195 pounds, and that includes gaining a lot of muscle through weight lifting.

I'm looking over the past few weeks of the stuff I've eaten.

It doesn't seem like I'm getting enough protein and I'm getting too much fat.

My breakfast is usually a hardboiled egg, sausage, and a cup of fruit in it's own juice with no added sugar.

Lunches are usually a salad of some kind with add-ins like nuts, cheese, chicken, salmon, tuna, etc.

Dinners just kind of depend on what we feel like making that night. Usually chicken, tilapia, salmon, tuna, turkey and veggies and maybe a little bit of rice or pasta.

My snacks are usually nuts, but I'm trying to cut back since they have a lot of fat/calories. Going with cheese today, but I still need some help.

I'm looking over the past few weeks of the stuff I've eaten.

It doesn't seem like I'm getting enough protein and I'm getting too much fat.

My breakfast is usually a hardboiled egg, sausage, and a cup of fruit in it's own juice with no added sugar.

Lunches are usually a salad of some kind with add-ins like nuts, cheese, chicken, salmon, tuna, etc.

Dinners just kind of depend on what we feel like making that night. Usually chicken, tilapia, salmon, tuna, turkey and veggies and maybe a little bit of rice or pasta.

My snacks are usually nuts, but I'm trying to cut back since they have a lot of fat/calories. Going with cheese today, but I still need some help.

sounds a lot like my diet. However, I think I've over dosed on peanuts, sunflower seeds - the anxious or bored eating kind at work sitting at a desk. That is probably one reason all of the good food (in moderate servings) I've eaten & exercises hasn't lowered my body weight much. As noted on the other tread of mine (losing weight over 550) it was mentioned that fiber is really important - I've not done a good job there.

How much meat are you eatting per serving?

We don't usually measure it out. On the weekends, my girlfriend will make out lunches for the week (usually salads). She just divides it up all willy-nilly as far as I know.

We generally buy individually packaged fish fillets or chicken breasts, so dinner is one of those with veggies.

We don't usually measure it out. On the weekends, my girlfriend will make out lunches for the week (usually salads). She just divides it up all willy-nilly as far as I know.

We generally buy individually packaged fish fillets or chicken breasts, so dinner is one of those with veggies.

4 oz of lean chicken lands you roughly 22g of protein. I would encourage you to grab a scale for 10 bucks from Wal-Mart and weigh the meat. Will allow You to much more accurately track your protein intake. Also don't be scared of healthy fats from nuts etc. They are great for you and your insides! I would up the veggies decrease the fruit intake. Jmo

4 oz of lean chicken lands you roughly 22g of protein. I would encourage you to grab a scale for 10 bucks from Wal-Mart and weigh the meat. Will allow You to much more accurately track your protein intake. Also don't be scared of healthy fats from nuts etc. They are great for you and your insides! I would up the veggies decrease the fruit intake. Jmo

I had been looking at getting a scale for a while and never did. Maybe I'll try to find one

I had been looking at getting a scale for a while and never did. Maybe I'll try to find one

Wal-Mart is the cheapest place I found one at fwiw

That is where I got my scale.

Your diet looks good GSG. Maybe add a chicken breast or 2 to your salad and you should hit your daily intake for protein. Fats (good ones) are 2nd only to protein when it comes to macros that your body needs. Like Hedley said earlier, don't be scared of fats as long as they are healthy. I have read where some say you should actually take in 1-1.5 grams of fat per lb of body weight which is the same as you should take in for protein.