Nutrition

I have to think they are going off of the idea that I need a lot more muscle than I do.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Most of the source for "bodybuilding" will tell you 1 to 2 grams per pound lean body weight, but if you don't want to grow then you really don't need to be consuming that much. On the other hand the CDC recommendations are extremely low, something like 50 grams, and that's for a sedentary person just to maintain their mass.

Kind of piggy backing off of what Hedley said; BRB I'm pretty sure you're not really concerned about adding muscle from what you've said in the past about your activities and whatnot, but GSG what is your overall goal (just to lose weight?) and what do you do activity wise? Because you could easily increase your protein intake and keep it within your calorie allotment. The worst that could happened if you increase protein consumption on a caloric deficit is you would increase lean mass while you lose weight.

I need to lose my gut and I other than that, I just want to tone up.

I work out at home, so it's mostly body weight exercises, dumbbell stuff, and cardio.

Gotchya. I mean it sounds like you're doing a good job and the protein isn't unreasonable, but if you wanted to you should be able to bump it up easily and see what happens. I'd cut back on some carbs and up the protein ift that's what you want to do. Anytime I cut back on carbs I see a noticeable difference withing a week or 2, sometimes it's even a day. It's funny because as much as we know and think we know really it's all really just an experiment to find out what works for us.

I feel your pain on the gut issue too. Not to deter you but for me that is the hardest thing to lose, that's just the reality of it. I've got much better definition on my arms, forearms, and calves after losing 30 pounds, with visible veins on all of them, but I still have a nasty gut and some love handles. Some of it's genetics, but some of it's probably because I like real beer too much... Keep fighting the good fight though! Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy.

Hedley....

Yep....I understand that. I just have lived long enough on the diet I have and I am in shape and happy that I honestly can't see myself needing to all of a sudden start loading up on more and more protein. I eat good quality (usually low fat) protein with every meal. I don't shy away from it. Then, I usually fill the rest of my diet mostly with veggies and some fruit. I love bread so I will eat whole grain breads at least some every day.

This works for me. To consume 121 grams of protein like the web site I was at suggests, I would have to honestly start consuming the protein powder I purchased for my son. Naaa...no desire.

Now....if they would come out with a beer that is high in protein...NOW we would be talkin....

Cut back on carbs gents up your green veggies as well as lean meats.

Breakfast eggs(boiled or scrambled) don't worry about cholesterol unless you have issues with yours. Cholesterol is beneficial if you like testosterone AKA burn fat baby. Then have some Turkey bacon or sausage if you must.

Lunch have lean meat and greens

Supper have lean meats and greens

Toss in 2 snacks. Nuts, fruit(in moderation) protein shake wouldn't hurt.

Water, black coffee, unsweetened tea for your drinks.

I promise you you will lose weight

Congratulations Hedy, you've come a long way from your vegan days. http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/63665-delete/ I hope our suggestions were helpful. :lol:

Breakfast eggs(boiled or scrambled) don't worry about cholesterol unless you have issues with yours. Cholesterol is beneficial if you like testosterone AKA burn fat baby. Then have some Turkey bacon or sausage if you must.

Congratulations Hedy, you've come a long way from your vegan days. http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/63665-delete/ I hope our suggestions were helpful. :lol:

I went vegan mostly for health reasons and also to see if I could do it. Once I started noticing my body struggle in the gym I went to vegetarian. Eatting dairy, eggs etc. Then I just got bored with it and went back to lean meats and veggies. Man that was an awkward stage in the evolution of me haha

I had totally forgotten about that discussion. I actually sat and reread that entire thread. :lol:

I had totally forgotten about that discussion. I actually sat and reread that entire thread. :lol:

That whole thread was a brutal intervention for Hedley. Some real gems in there that still crack me up. Jarvis's idea that vegetables should be served in case a food fight breaks out. Dude avoiding vegetables since they cause him to produce too much methane. Knapp saving the environment by eating beef. I forgot I created the spinoff thread as a reference for vegetarians http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/64515-vegetarian-favorites/ :laughpound We need more threads like that in the off season. Unfortunately it would probably end with a few bannings in todays kinder, gentler HB.

That whole thread was a brutal intervention for Hedley. Some real gems in there that still crack me up. Jarvis's idea that vegetables should be served in case a food fight breaks out. Dude avoiding vegetables since they cause him to produce too much methane. Knapp saving the environment by eating beef. I forgot I created the spinoff thread as a reference for vegetarians http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/64515-vegetarian-favorites/ :laughpound We need more threads like that in the off season. Unfortunately it would probably end with a few bannings in todays kinder, gentler HB.

I used to be all about confrontation...it led to many entertaining threads.

It's interesting and I am interested enough to explore it farther. However, I cringe when I read "anything can be healthy or unhealthy". I'm sure I just need to know what they mean. There are some things that are simply unhealthy to consume if you really want to be particular about what you eat.

Now, if they really mean that most of those things can be fine in moderation then I can live with that.

I've completely changed my diet over the past few weeks in preparation for my adventure race in June. It's been hard, but I've starting to get over the changes and I'm taking the mindset, "feed the machine, not the mind!" Started my half-marathon training yesterday, couple that with my final week of heavy weight lifting this week and I've been wiped out energy wise.

I've completely changed my diet over the past few weeks in preparation for my adventure race in June. It's been hard, but I've starting to get over the changes and I'm taking the mindset, "feed the machine, not the mind!" Started my half-marathon training yesterday, couple that with my final week of heavy weight lifting this week and I've been wiped out energy wise.

Do you log your workouts at all? I'd be interested to see how much strength you lose through your training, if it wasn't too depressing.

Hedley....

Yep....I understand that. I just have lived long enough on the diet I have and I am in shape and happy that I honestly can't see myself needing to all of a sudden start loading up on more and more protein. I eat good quality (usually low fat) protein with every meal. I don't shy away from it. Then, I usually fill the rest of my diet mostly with veggies and some fruit. I love bread so I will eat whole grain breads at least some every day.

This works for me. To consume 121 grams of protein like the web site I was at suggests, I would have to honestly start consuming the protein powder I purchased for my son. Naaa...no desire.

Now....if they would come out with a beer that is high in protein...NOW we would be talkin....

Out of curiosity is that because of the way it taste, or you just don't want to drink them. Because some of the stuff is pretty delicious.

Do you log your workouts at all? I'd be interested to see how much strength you lose through your training, if it wasn't too depressing.

Hedley....

Out of curiosity is that because of the way it taste, or you just don't want to drink them. Because some of the stuff is pretty delicious.

I would just personally like to stay away from spending the money on them, going through the hassle of mixing...etc. I would prefer to eat the way I have done for a long time of eating foods as close to their original state as possible. Lean meats, fruits, lots of veggies....etc.

• Fire 1

Hedley....

I log them on a workout book I keep, trouble is I'm going to be transitioning from mostly free weight lifting, to almost all cardio with some TRX mixed it for this adventure race. I've gotta get my core stronger for the rowing portion and TRX basically focuses on core quite a bit. Plus I get an injection in my back here soon and my doctor says to chill on the weights for a few months while we're doing this. No problem, I'll have no choice but to chill with all the damn running I have to do for the next 15 weeks.

You could still do weights 2 or 3 times a week for a half hour or so. Maybe a quick full body workout focusing on the major compound lifts and an accessory lift or two, or still do a split routine so you can keep the time down but go an extra day. Just a thought...