Nutrition

Everything thing I've read says I should be getting around 100-115 grams. Some days it appears I'm only getting around 70-80 grams though. Maybe I don't necessarily need a lot more protein, but just less fat.

Add another egg or two to your breakfast. Sausage isn't the greatest thing to eat either, lotta fat and sodium, but I understand how boring eggs can get. Like stumpy said a chicken breast on the salad would be good. There's a lot of ways to make chicken breast not so boring, but on a salad its pretty good too. 100-115 grams of protein is pretty low. I struggle with getting 200, but even on a bad day I eat about 120g with out protein powder. At the very worst I get 80, and that's when I just DGAF and eat crap.

Everything thing I've read says I should be getting around 100-115 grams. Some days it appears I'm only getting around 70-80 grams though. Maybe I don't necessarily need a lot more protein, but just less fat.

That seems like a lot of protein. I just was on a site calculating my protein intake and it told me I should have about 85 per day.

That seems like a lot of protein. I just was on a site calculating my protein intake and it told me I should have about 85 per day.

What site? Most sources including my doctor say about .8 to 1.5g of protein per lb.

I thought I remembered reading something that if you're trying to lose weight, you should take your goal weight and eat about half that number in grams of protein.

So if your goal was 200, then 200 / 2 = 100 grams of protein per day

Anyone else remember anything like that? Or did I just make it up? :hmmph

Cut back on carbs gents up your green veggies as well as lean meats.

Breakfast eggs(boiled or scrambled) don't worry about cholesterol unless you have issues with yours. Cholesterol is beneficial if you like testosterone AKA burn fat baby. Then have some Turkey bacon or sausage if you must.

Lunch have lean meat and greens

Supper have lean meats and greens

Toss in 2 snacks. Nuts, fruit(in moderation) protein shake wouldn't hurt.

Water, black coffee, unsweetened tea for your drinks.

I promise you you will lose weight

• Fire 1

Breakfast eggs(boiled or scrambled) don't worry about cholesterol unless you have issues with yours. Cholesterol is beneficial if you like testosterone AKA burn fat baby. Then have some Turkey bacon or sausage if you must.

Sounds good. I would add on top of green veggies, consume a variety of colored veggies. All colors of veggies gives you different nutritional benefits.

In general, eat a lot of veggies.

Sounds good. I would add on top of green veggies, consume a variety of colored veggies. All colors of veggies gives you different nutritional benefits.

In general, eat a lot of veggies.

I agree completely, I would suggest corn and potatoes and carrots in moderation as well though. Carbs

Kind of piggy backing off of what Hedley said; BRB I'm pretty sure you're not really concerned about adding muscle from what you've said in the past about your activities and whatnot, but GSG what is your overall goal (just to lose weight?) and what do you do activity wise? Because you could easily increase your protein intake and keep it within your calorie allotment. The worst that could happened if you increase protein consumption on a caloric deficit is you would increase lean mass while you lose weight.

Kind of piggy backing off of what Hedley said; BRB I'm pretty sure you're not really concerned about adding muscle from what you've said in the past about your activities and whatnot, but GSG what is your overall goal (just to lose weight?) and what do you do activity wise? Because you could easily increase your protein intake and keep it within your calorie allotment. The worst that could happened if you increase protein consumption on a caloric deficit is you would increase lean mass while you lose weight.

I need to lose my gut and I other than that, I just want to tone up.

I work out at home, so it's mostly body weight exercises, dumbbell stuff, and cardio.

This is a big factor.

No, I'm not trying to build muscle. When I'm in shape, I have a very slender build with no gut. At 47, I am way past the point of trying to look ripped with my clothes off.

I don't think i have ever ate the amount of protein various sources say I should be eating. I have to think they are going off of the idea that I need a lot more muscle than I do.

This is a big factor.

No, I'm not trying to build muscle. When I'm in shape, I have a very slender build with no gut. At 47, I am way past the point of trying to look ripped with my clothes off.

I don't think i have ever ate the amount of protein various sources say I should be eating. I have to think they are going off of the idea that I need a lot more muscle than I do.

Protein

Proteins in food are broken down into pieces (called amino acids) that are then used to build new proteins with specific functions, such as catalyzing chemical reactions, facilitating communication between different cells, or transporting biological molecules from here to there. When there is a shortage of fats or carbohydrates, proteins can also yield energy.

Fat

Fats typically provide more than half of the body's energy needs. Fat from food is broken down into fatty acids, which can travel in the blood and be captured by hungry cells. Fatty acids that aren't needed right away are packaged in bundles called triglycerides and stored in fat cells, which have unlimited capacity. "We are really good at storing fat," says Judith Wylie-Rosett, EdD, RD, a professor of behavioral and nutritional research at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

Carbohydrate

Carbohydrates, on the other hand, can only be stored in limited quantities, so the body is eager to use them for energy. "We think of carbs as the [nutrient] that's used first," says Eric Westman, MD, MHS, director of the Lifestyle Medicine Clinic at Duke University Medical Center. "We can only store a day or two of carbs." The carbohydrates in food are digested into small pieceseither glucose or a sugar that is easily converted to glucosethat can be absorbed through the small intestine's walls. After a quick stop in the liver, glucose enters the circulatory system, causing blood glucose levels to rise. The body's cells gobble up this mealtime bounty of glucose more readily than fat, says Wylie-Rosett.

Once the cells have had their fill of glucose, the liver stores some of the excess for distribution between meals should blood glucose levels fall below a certain threshold. If there is leftover glucose beyond what the liver can hold, it can be turned into fat for long-term storage so none is wasted. When carbohydrates are scarce, the body runs mainly on fats. If energy needs exceed those provided by fats in the diet, the body must liquidate some of its fat tissue for energy.

While these fats are a welcome source of energy for most of the body, a few types of cells, such as brain cells, have special needs. These cells could easily run on glucose from the diet, but they can't run on fatty acids directly. So under low-carbohydrate conditions, these finicky cells need the body to make fat-like molecules called ketone bodies. This is why a very-low-carbohydrate diet is sometimes called "ketogenic." (Ketone bodies are also related to a dangerous diabetic complication called ketoacidosis, which can occur if insulin levels are far too low.) Ketone bodies could alone provide enough energy for the parts of the body that can't metabolize fatty acids, but some tissues still require at least some glucose, which isn't normally made from fat. Instead, glucose can be made in the liver and kidneys using protein from elsewhere in the body. But take care: If not enough protein is provided by the diet, the body starts chewing on muscle cells.