What are you giving up for Lent?

Lent 2015 begins on Wed, Feb. 18, and ends on Thurs, April 2, 2015.

What are you giving up for Lent?

===============================================

I'm not Catholic, but I think Lent is a fine tradition. I am going to give up cigars and on-line Mahjong. This will be a bit of a challenge, since they are both things that I'm somewhat addicted to. We'll see how it goes. :lol:

5 myths (and one surprising fact) about Lent
By Brian Backe, special to CNN Updated 4:51 PM ET, Tue February 17, 2015
Myth 1: Lent is 40 days
Counting from Ash Wednesday to Holy Saturday, there are 46 days.
Then why do we always refer to the 40 days of Lent? The 40 days of fasting during Lent do not include Sundays.
Every Sunday Christians commemorate the day of Christ's resurrection, thus, Sunday by its nature is a day of joy and celebration. The Sundays during Lent are not prescribed days of fasting and abstinence, so meat is permitted.

Heh. Didn't know that.

Junk food and pop. It serves a dual purpose as I would like to lose a few pounds before heading to Mexico.

Lent is actually good for me. I really do reflect on my life this time of year and try to walk down a better path. I usually fail overall but my hope is that I always learn something from it to take to the next year.

I hear you there. I'm going on a cruise in 4 weeks and need to get into shape fast

I always try to take a different look at lent. If it's not your thing...fine....I really don't care. But, if it is something you find value in, I find it a time when I can try to do something more than just "giving up something".

I'm not saying I always succeed in this. But, I find it means more if I do more than...give up fast food...etc.

So, I am going with two things this year:

a) stay off my phone in the evenings when I am around my family in an attempt to be more involved with them.

b) Try to find some way to do something nice for someone totally unexpectedly each day. This could be something extremely small and only take 10 seconds. But, I will try to make it at least noticeable to whom ever I am doing it for. I also know that I probably am not going to be able to do this every day simply because the opportunity might not present itself. That's why I'm throwing in item (a).

• Fire 1

Beer, Soda, fast food.

What kind of sicko gives up beer? That just aint right. Even Jesus had wine.

To be fair, first He ordered water.

:lol:

To wash feet. Not to drink.

I think the water he changed to wine was different than the water he washed feet with. I hope it was anyway.