Decade of Dominance - Five Underrated Games from the 1990s

knapplc

Everyone knows about the National Championship games. Everyone knows about the 1997 Missouri game, the 1993 Florida State game, the 1999 Iowa game (think Eric Crouch trucking some Iowegian DB)...

... but there were other games, important games from that era, that some may have forgotten. I stumbled across a website featuring those games. With apologies for this guy's third-person writing style ( :rolleyes: ), here for your viewing pleasure are some great, but overshadowed, games from the best decade of Husker Football.

LINK

Highlighted, for me, among these games is the 1992 Colorado game. Both teams ranked #8. Colorado coming off an unprecedented string of success against Nebraska in the modern era. Halloween. Driving sleet. Frigid temps.

And a Husker crowd that would roar for three straight hours. It was one of the greatest games I've ever seen live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2dF4kZmKn8

• Fire 1

2. Nebraska @ Michigan State (1995)
Due to some off the field issues, Nebraska’s 50-10 blowout of the Nick Saban (Yes that Nick Saban) led Michigan State Spartans happened to be the last regular season game that Husker great Lawrence Phillips ever started for Nebraska.
Phillips, who remains the best running back The Informer has ever watched play at Nebraska, definitely saved his best for last as he completely dominated his final start to the tune of 206 yards and three touchdowns on only 22 carries.

Some damn fine Husker trivia in that entry. :thumbs:

I do think that game is underrated if for no other reason CU had something like four or five players on their team who I believe went in the first round of the NFL draft. Plus, we were playing with our backup QB. It was a game that was supposed to be a nailbighter, but it didn't exactly turn out that way.

I guess I don't look at it as underrated because of the huge build up for the game and I think most people look back at it as a big win for us even though we manhandled them.

It was one of those...WOW.... moments of the 90s for people watching Nebraska and realizing really how good we were.

Another game from that year that gets almost no attention was the Wyoming game in Lincoln. I'm still convinced we lose that game had the Wyoming punt returner not botched the catch. The season more than likely would have taken a different course had we dropped that one.

I was at that game. It was nerve-wracking. They kept running the same damned play over and over, and we kept falling for it over and over.

Got an ugly deja vu of that game watching 2011 Northwestern. :hmmph

Another game from that year that gets almost no attention was the Wyoming game in Lincoln. I'm still convinced we lose that game had the Wyoming punt returner not botched the catch. The season more than likely would have taken a different course had we dropped that one.

I was at that game. It was nerve-wracking. They kept running the same damned play over and over, and we kept falling for it over and over.

Got an ugly deja vu of that game watching 2011 Northwestern. :hmmph

I was at that game also. Wyoming had a huge wrecking ball for an RB.

Everyone knows about the National Championship games. Everyone knows about the 1997 Missouri game, the 1993 Florida State game, the 1999 Iowa game (think Eric Crouch trucking some Iowegian DB)...

... but there were other games, important games from that era, that some may have forgotten. I stumbled across a website featuring those games. With apologies for this guy's third-person writing style ( :rolleyes: ), here for your viewing pleasure are some great, but overshadowed, games from the best decade of Husker Football.

LINK

Highlighted, for me, among these games is the 1992 Colorado game. Both teams ranked #8. Colorado coming off an unprecedented string of success against Nebraska in the modern era. Halloween. Driving sleet. Frigid temps.

And a Husker crowd that would roar for three straight hours. It was one of the greatest games I've ever seen live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2dF4kZmKn8

Watching this reminded me of the violence that NU played with on both sides of the ball. I didn't realize the difference between BP's 2 gap read-and-react, and the way NU attacked back then. Even the NU blocking receivers kept up their blocks with an attitude throughout the play. I can see why NU intimidated so many teams back then. Please Lord, bring it back.

• Fire 1

A personal favorite game of mine. An ugly first half gave way to an exciting second on an unbelievably cold afternoon. Nebraska fell behind early and then lost Trev Alberts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okn0eiA2HHU

I was at this game. I wore light socks & thin canvas shoes. By the time the game was over I couldn't feel my feet below the ankle. I legit thought I was going to fall going down the steps to get out of the stadium. I couldn't feel my feet until I had walked to the parking garage, about three blocks away.