New DB Coach Brian Stewart

Haspula

The question is though, did Riley contact him before they started talking about "parting ways?" Timing is kind of odd for dropping your DC. And then promoting from within, if it was a performance based "parting" a team usually pulls from outside during the offseason. You usually see the Coordinator get replaced by an underling midseason.

That's a good point, but if not, how would Riley pull a DC from a B1G school to come here and fill the void at DBs coach? I saw that rather as a nice opportunity that opened up. Most of the hot young up-and-comers are locked in at their current schools at this point, not really moving season. A coach becoming available in this way on the other hand, is maybe not as unusual.

Still don't know if this is the guy though.

Resume, pulled from Maryland's bio page, while its still there.

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=716329&SPID=120713&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=207385300&Q_SEASON=2013

Maryland
2012-Present: Assistant Coach - Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs
Houston Cougars
2010-11: Assistant Coach - Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs
Philadelphia Eagles
2009: Assistant Coach - Defensive Special Assistant
Dallas Cowboys
2007-08: Assistant Coach - Defensive Coordinator
San Diego Chargers
2004-06: Assistant Coach - Defensive Backs
Houston Texans
2002-03: Assistant Coach - Defensive Backs Assistant
Syracuse
2001: Assistant Coach - Defensive Backs
Missouri
1999-00: Assistant Coach - Defensive Backs
San Jose State
1997-98: Assistant Coach - Defensive Backs
Missouri
1996: Graduate Assistant Coach
Northern Arizona
1994-95: Assistant Coach - Tight Ends/Special Teams
Cal Poly
1992-93: Assistant Coach - Wide Receivers/Running Backs

Personal

Date of Birth: Dec. 4, 1964

Hometown: West Covina, Calif.

Alma Mater: Northern Arizona 1995

Coaching Experience

Maryland - 2012-Present: Assistant Coach - Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs

Houston Cougars - 2010-11: Assistant Coach - Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Backs

Philadelphia Eagles - 2009: Assistant Coach - Defensive Special Assistant

Dallas Cowboys - 2007-08: Assistant Coach - Defensive Coordinator

San Diego Chargers - 2004-06: Assistant Coach - Defensive Backs

Houston Texans - 2002-03: Assistant Coach - Defensive Backs Assistant

Syracuse - 2001: Assistant Coach - Defensive Backs

Missouri - 1999-00: Assistant Coach - Defensive Backs

San Jose State - 1997-98: Assistant Coach - Defensive Backs

Missouri - 1996: Graduate Assistant Coach

Northern Arizona - 1994-95: Assistant Coach - Tight Ends/Special Teams

Cal Poly - 1992-93: Assistant Coach - Wide Receivers/Running Backs

Playing Experience

Northern Arizona

1986-87: Defensive Back

1983: Defensive Back

Santa Monica City College

1984-85: Defensive Back

Recruiting Area

• Primary: Texas (Dallas), Southeast Florida and Junior Colleges

• Secondary: California

Link

The Maryland football team and defensive coordinator Brian Stewart have agreed to part ways, the program announced Thursday, ending a three-year tenure of diminishing returns.

Keith Dudzinski, who has served as the team’s inside linebackers coach the past four seasons, has been named his replacement.
“We appreciate Brian’s contributions to our program over the past three seasons,” coach Randy Edsall said in a release. “Brian played an integral role in developing our student-athletes both on and off the field during his time at Maryland. While overseeing the defense he helped elevate our program to compete in one of the nation’s premier conferences. In our conversations, we both felt this was the best of course of action for Brian and his family, and the Maryland football program. I wish Brian the best in his future endeavors.”
In Stewart's first year, in 2012, Maryland finished No. 21 nationally in total defense. The next season, the Terps fell to No. 44. This past season, they finished No. 97, third worst in the Big Ten Conference.
Last January, he signed a multiyear extension with the Terps.
“I truly enjoyed working with the coaches, student-athletes and administration at the University of Maryland,” Stewart said in the release. “It was an exciting time to be a part of this program, and I will always have great memories and relationships from my time in College Park. After talking with my family and then meeting with Randy, we both agreed that this was best direction moving forward. I would like to thank Randy for the opportunity to coordinate the defense for the past three seasons. I also want to express my appreciation to the defensive staff and players for their hard work and commitment to the football program.”

Link