Biggest Loser

TGHusker

Anyone have any weight loss strategies they'd care to share? Below are some I've used in the past. Not sure which, if any, I'll go with this time. (Some are alternatives, obviously) I may shift strategies over the next two months to keep it interesting.

• Keep chewing gum with me. Anytime I get hungry, pop a piece in and chew away.
  • Keep healthy snacks at the office, and get rid of fatty snacks. Carrot and celery sticks, apples, dried peas and nuts. Get rid of crackers and chips.
  • One day of fasting per week. Only drink green tea and water.
  • Big breakfast, then veggies only for rest of day.
  • One or more days of veggies only--no meat or pasta.
  • Liberal amounts of water. Set goals, e.g., eight glasses per day.
  • Drink lots of green tea. I already drink lots of coffee.
  • Count calories. Keep track of everything that goes in. Set calorie/day goal. Say, 2000cal/day, or even 1500cal/day.

These are nutrition/eating habits only. I'll also need to come up with some strategies for burning calories.

Anyone have any weight loss strategies they'd care to share? Below are some I've used in the past. Not sure which, if any, I'll go with this time. (Some are alternatives, obviously) I may shift strategies over the next two months to keep it interesting.

• Keep healthy snacks at the office, and get rid of fatty snacks. Carrot and celery sticks, apples, dried peas and nuts. Get rid of crackers and chips.
  • Count calories. Keep track of everything that goes in. Set calorie/day goal. Say, 2000cal/day, or even 1500cal/day.

These are nutrition/eating habits only. I'll also need to come up with some strategies for burning calories.

With me it's a mental thing. When I exercise, I tend to be more likely to eat better. When I get lazy and don't exercise is when I start stuffing everything that is crappy for me in my mouth.

So, exercising helps me eat better.

My office always has lots of food around in the kitchen for birthdays..etc. I have somewhat brainwashed myself. When I walk by, and don't pick up anything to eat, I think to myself..."one more lb gone".

I know, to some that might sound stupid. But, it has trained my brain to actually NOT want the cheese, summer sausage and crackers that are laying there on a tray begging me to eat it.

With me it's a mental thing. When I exercise, I tend to be more likely to eat better. When I get lazy and don't exercise is when I start stuffing everything that is crappy for me in my mouth.

My office always has lots of food around in the kitchen for birthdays..etc. I have somewhat brainwashed myself. When I walk by, and don't pick up anything to eat, I think to myself..."one more lb gone".

I know, to some that might sound stupid. But, it has trained my brain to actually NOT want the cheese, summer sausage and crackers that are laying there on a tray begging me to eat it.

I am exactly the same way. When I don't workout regularly, I am more apt to have the burger, fries, and soda for lunch. When I am getting to the gym on a regular basis, I find myself watching my eating more diligently. It's so weird how our thinking is that way.

I'm exactly the same way BRB and CO. If I don't go workout it's like I get depressed or something and I just eat crap all day. On the flip side sometimes I can get in a really awesome mindset where I can actually embrace having an empty stomach and feel good about being hungry because I know what it means for me long term.

As far as strategies go I just evolved into my lifestyle the more I read and understood what was going on. I started out by reducing the amount of food I was eating without regard to calories. If you eat out a lot, only eating half the meal and taking the rest home for another meal the next day can do wonders for starters. I also quit eating crappy cereal for breakfast. Initially I switched to Special K, then to just plain oats/oatmeal with crasins and cinnamon to live it up. Now I eat mostly eggs and egg whites with some veggies. If I get really bored I might have honey nut cheerios or Special K on a weekend, or maybe even a full on breakfast with bacon and hash browns. Substituting starchy carbs with fresh vegetables like broccoli, carrots, zucchini, squash, or just a salad is great to. They'll fill you up on less calories. Drinking a glass of water before you eat also helps you feel more full after your meal, sometimes it gives me the same shamed feeling I get after I pig out on a big meal. I've also found that if I eat a larger breakfast I'll tend to eat a little less throughout the day.

I embrace having an empty stomach also. I have a friend who tries to lose weight but he claims he can't eat a salad for lunch because he doesn't feel full. He just can't stand having that empty feeling.

Again, it's a mind set thing.

I did this in a private conversation the other day but I thought I would throw it out here. I used to go eat prime rib at a steak house and I thought I needed the largest cut with the baked potato sour cream, butter, rolls...etc. I figured it up and realized that I was eating almost 3,000 calories just with that one meal. Then, obviously I would have a couple beers too. Obviously, that doesn't work if I'm trying to stay under 2,000 calories.

Now, I will many times get a medium sized filet with steamed veggies and a side salad with vinaigrette dressing. I still have a roll on the side. It now comes in around 700 calories which for how I eat through out the day, is perfectly fine for an evening meal.

And, the steak usually is a much better steak.

Just making these kinds of choices you end up full and happy without the problems with the calories..

• Fire 1

I am exactly the same way. When I don't workout regularly, I am more apt to have the burger, fries, and soda for lunch. When I am getting to the gym on a regular basis, I find myself watching my eating more diligently. It's so weird how our thinking is that way.

It may be that your body is kind of in hibernation mode when you aren't working out, so it wants more fats and calories to store, but when you are working out, it wants more carbs and protein to keep your body active.

I embrace having an empty stomach also. I have a friend who tries to lose weight but he claims he can't eat a salad for lunch because he doesn't feel full. He just can't stand having that empty feeling.

Again, it's a mind set thing.

I did this in a private conversation the other day but I thought I would throw it out here. I used to go eat prime rib at a steak house and I thought I needed the largest cut with the baked potato sour cream, butter, rolls...etc. I figured it up and realized that I was eating almost 3,000 calories just with that one meal. Then, obviously I would have a couple beers too. Obviously, that doesn't work if I'm trying to stay under 2,000 calories.

Now, I will many times get a medium sized filet with steamed veggies and a side salad with vinaigrette dressing. I still have a roll on the side. It now comes in around 700 calories which for how I eat through out the day, is perfectly fine for an evening meal.

And, the steak usually is a much better steak.

Just making these kinds of choices you end up full and happy without the problems with the calories..

I think the biggest problem Americans have is understanding that you don't NEED to eat until you feel full and miserable. Breaking that psychological habit is a huge step, and you'll actually be able to realize when you've truly eaten enough food for your body.

Great advice on selection. Salad dressing is another thing to keep in mind if you going to be eating salad a lot. I always stick with Italian or a vinaigrette like yourself, the creamy dressing like ranch and blue cheese are extremely fatty and if you're dousing your salad with it you can be adding almost 300 calories.

I'm exactly the same way BRB and CO. If I don't go workout it's like I get depressed or something and I just eat crap all day. On the flip side sometimes I can get in a really awesome mindset where I can actually embrace having an empty stomach and feel good about being hungry because I know what it means for me long term.

As far as strategies go I just evolved into my lifestyle the more I read and understood what was going on. I started out by reducing the amount of food I was eating without regard to calories. If you eat out a lot, only eating half the meal and taking the rest home for another meal the next day can do wonders for starters. I also quit eating crappy cereal for breakfast. Initially I switched to Special K, then to just plain oats/oatmeal with crasins and cinnamon to live it up. Now I eat mostly eggs and egg whites with some veggies. If I get really bored I might have honey nut cheerios or Special K on a weekend, or maybe even a full on breakfast with bacon and hash browns. Substituting starchy carbs with fresh vegetables like broccoli, carrots, zucchini, squash, or just a salad is great to. They'll fill you up on less calories. Drinking a glass of water before you eat also helps you feel more full after your meal, sometimes it gives me the same shamed feeling I get after I pig out on a big meal. I've also found that if I eat a larger breakfast I'll tend to eat a little less throughout the day.

Eat like a king for breakfast

Eat like a duke for lunch

Eat like a peasant for supper

Some great tips above

Besides having a varied workout routine (so your body doesn't get use to the exercise as mentioned above), I see drinking a lot of water, green tea, fasting meals or days, eating a good breakfast, snack selection and watching the restaurant food intake as some of the big issues.

I think my biggest downfall is 'anxious or boredom' eating at work. Any of you guys have the same issue? - feel like you need to be popping something in the mouth continually - esp salty salty stuff for me?

If so, any success stories? I know it is a mind game. Perhaps placing salted celery around will cure the problem.

Supplements: There are all kinds on the market. Do any of them work or help reduce body fat, lose weight etc. Has anyone found success using any of the below or any not mentioned?

A quick search I can find these suggestions:

Green Tea Extract

Green Coffee Bean

CLA

Sesamin

L-Carnitine

7-Keto

Garcinia Cambogia

Rasberry Ketones

Some great tips above

Besides having a varied workout routine (so your body doesn't get use to the exercise as mentioned above), I see drinking a lot of water, green tea, fasting meals or days, eating a good breakfast, snack selection and watching the restaurant food intake as some of the big issues.

I think my biggest downfall is 'anxious or boredom' eating at work. Any of you guys have the same issue? - feel like you need to be popping something in the mouth continually - esp salty salty stuff for me?

If so, any success stories? I know it is a mind game. Perhaps placing salted celery around will cure the problem.

This is where the app that so many of us have talked about comes in handy. You quickly realize how much that bag of chips is hurting your goals.

My office has food every time someone has a birthday and it is all so good. I walk past the kitchen all the time. When I was trying to lose weight, I would literally make myself enter every time I took a bite. I quickly realized I didn't need that bite.

Now that I'm basically where I want to be weight wise, I allow myself to snack a little on it.

But, if your problem is simply eating snacks....don't buy them. Don't go to the machine and plug money in.

Another option is to move towards the idea of eating 5-6 times per day. So, you get up and eat a breakfast...at 10:00 you are eating a small meal (well planned)....at noon you are eating again a small meal...at 2 or 3 you are eating again....at 6 you are eating again.

If you plan these out, you will have the healthy food available when you need it and your body will realize it doesn't need to crave going to the machine and getting chips because you are going to eat again in 2-3 hours.

Lbs not shedding off as fast as I'd like. Weighed in at 214 this morning. Might be something to do with that can of Pringles I polished off the last couple of days or so.

#Still_a_Fatty