Biggest Loser

TGHusker

Also, as a show of support I'll +1 anyone that posts a weight loss. Whether it's one lb or 10 lbs. (Please make it easy for me and let me know if your number represents a loss.)

Keep it up, losers! :lol:

Way to keep it up!!! I had an amazing weekend of food, brews, and basketball last weekend in Omaha, and did some bad things to my body and my waist line. I have tried to eat better and workout this week, but I am fighting some allergies. I stepped on the scale this morning, and I was up a couple pounds from last week. Oh well, hopefully it's just a minor setback and I can get back in the groove.

This makes me think we need to bring back negative rep points ;)

I was already competing with someone on this. 250.4 on 1/20/15 and planning on 20 lb loss to 230.

About 240 3/26/15. Good pace for me, not losing strength.
10 pounds is pretty good for about a months work, keep it up!

I always have trouble maintaining strength on a diet long term (more than 2 months). I usually plateau and then lose a small amount of strength, and get too scared to increase protein intake because I'm losing weight still. But if you are keeping your strength that's awesome too!

I was already competing with someone on this. 250.4 on 1/20/15 and planning on 20 lb loss to 230.

I always have trouble maintaining strength on a diet long term (more than 2 months). I usually plateau and then lose a small amount of strength, and get too scared to increase protein intake because I'm losing weight still. But if you are keeping your strength that's awesome too!

It's been 2 months 1/20 - 3/26. About a pound a week. My deadlift is down 30 lbs just like my weight (from when I weighed 270ish) but I lost most of that strength when I stopped lifting while dropping the first 20 lbs. So far I haven't lost strength this year while trying to drop another 20 lbs. I don't know if I can regain that 30 lbs in deadlift after this dieting silliness is done without gaining weight.

I've been trying to get a reasonable amount of protein (with supplement) but have cut back on food intake and slight increase in cardio exercise. I'm going on the theory that by continuing to lift I'm signalling my body that I still need the muscle and by providing it with sufficient protein it won't consume my muscle. I really don't know what I'm doing and haven't thoroughly researched this but I did find this http://www.livestrong.com/article/554481-when-does-the-body-start-to-use-muscle-tissue-for-energy/ Apparently the body breaks down muscle for energy and not to fulfill a protein need. It only happens if you are running a severe calorie deficit such as fasting. I guess my "slow weight loss while retaining strength" strategy is working but not for the reason I thought. I know I can drop weight a lot faster but probably not without losing strength.

• Fire 1

Guys, I have to admit - thus far I've lacked the discipline to get it done. I'm at the same weight if not up a couple of pounds. I have got to develop a new mind set - does anyone have some good 'self talk' exercises in which the mind kicks butt without quilting said butt back to a bowl of ice cream??

It's been 2 months 1/20 - 3/26. About a pound a week. My deadlift is down 30 lbs just like my weight (from when I weighed 270ish) but I lost most of that strength when I stopped lifting while dropping the first 20 lbs. So far I haven't lost strength this year while trying to drop another 20 lbs. I don't know if I can regain that 30 lbs in deadlift after this dieting silliness is done without gaining weight.

I've been trying to get a reasonable amount of protein (with supplement) but have cut back on food intake and slight increase in cardio exercise. I'm going on the theory that by continuing to lift I'm signalling my body that I still need the muscle and by providing it with sufficient protein it won't consume my muscle. I really don't know what I'm doing and haven't thoroughly researched this but I did find this http://www.livestrong.com/article/554481-when-does-the-body-start-to-use-muscle-tissue-for-energy/ Apparently the body breaks down muscle for energy and not to fulfill a protein need. It only happens if you are running a severe calorie deficit such as fasting. I guess my "slow weight loss while retaining strength" strategy is working but not for the reason I thought. I know I can drop weight a lot faster but probably not without losing strength.

You're actually doing a great job, and by the book too! Everything your going to read says to try and maintain a weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week. Anything over that and you'll begin to experience increased muscle loss. Really you don't need to even do cardio to lose fat, but having a variety of physical activities doesn't hurt.

Don't worry about the strength you lost, most of it will come back once you hit your goal and feel comfortable eating at or slightly above maintenance again. And you probably will gain some weight but the overwhelming majority of it will be muscle. I was down to 218 last year and in November and December I ate a surplus and gained about 7 pounds. Regained all the strength I lost and look the same if not better at this weight (below 225ish)than I did at 218. I've always struggle increasing my reps on pull ups, it's one of my worst areas in terms of gaining, but I went from only doing 3 or 4 a set last year to 8 last week. And that's on a deficit for the entire year so far.

• Fire 1

Guys, I have to admit - thus far I've lacked the discipline to get it done. I'm at the same weight if not up a couple of pounds. I have got to develop a new mind set - does anyone have some good 'self talk' exercises in which the mind kicks butt without quilting said butt back to a bowl of ice cream??

You've just got to want it, it's that simple. No one is going to be able to motivate you unless you can motivate yourself. Realize that you don't actually need that ice cream, and it's not actually benefiting your body in any way. Understand this is a long term thing and you're going to stumble here and there, but you can be successful in the long run.

If you really are having a hard time with sweets or snacks, try cutting down on their portions first rather than trying to eliminate them entirely. Or even limiting yourself to having them once a week. There's nothing wrong with indulging in them every now and then in moderation, but don't create a habit or give into an old one.

• Fire 1

You've just got to want it, it's that simple. No one is going to be able to motivate you unless you can motivate yourself. Realize that you don't actually need that ice cream, and it's not actually benefiting your body in any way. Understand this is a long term thing and you're going to stumble here and there, but you can be successful in the long run.

If you really are having a hard time with sweets or snacks, try cutting down on their portions first rather than trying to eliminate them entirely. Or even limiting yourself to having them once a week. There's nothing wrong with indulging in them every now and then in moderation, but don't create a habit or give into an old one.

Thanks Brother. I had a good self talk this weekend. Time to move forward wt the right attitude.

• Fire 2

Thanks Brother. I had a good self talk this weekend. Time to move forward wt the right attitude.

FWIW, I had a huge setback this weekend. Last week I weighed in as low as 210.5 lbs. That's about seven pounds down from where I started. Well, this morning I tipped the scales at 216.5 lbs. I was shocked. In fact, I weighed myself again because I couldn't believe it. Six freaking pounds heavier than a few days ago. I don't even know how that's possible. I mean, sure I ate a bit. But it's not like I totally porked out this weekend. I had expected to weigh in at around 212 this AM. :facepalm:

I guess I got some work cut out for me if I'm going to see any sustainable progress.

FWIW, I had a huge setback this weekend. Last week I weighed in as low as 210.5 lbs. That's about seven pounds down from where I started. Well, this morning I tipped the scales at 216.5 lbs. I was shocked. In fact, I weighed myself again because I couldn't believe it. Six freaking pounds heavier than a few days ago. I don't even know how that's possible. I mean, sure I ate a bit. But it's not like I totally porked out this weekend. I had expected to weigh in at around 212 this AM. :facepalm:

I guess I got some work cut out for me if I'm going to see any sustainable progress.

If you're actually eating under your maintenance don't get too discourage, there are a few things that can throw your weekly/daily weigh in off. You could have been dehydrated last check in, or had a higher salt intake or carb intake this time leading to more water retention. Maybe you forgot got to take a deuce! :lol: Just keep tracking and making sure you're eating a deficit, but don't focus so much on the week to week (day to day) loss as the biweekly or monthly losses. It could also just be your body adjusting to a new diet. Like I've said before when I first started dieting and working out again I was all over the place with my weight for a month or so. Eventually things will settle in and you'll be on our way to consistent weight loss.

• Fire 1

If you're actually eating under your maintenance don't get too discourage, there are a few things that can throw your weekly/daily weigh in off. You could have been dehydrated last check in, or had a higher salt intake or carb intake this time leading to more water retention. Maybe you forgot got to take a deuce! :lol: Just keep tracking and making sure you're eating a deficit, but don't focus so much on the week to week (day to day) loss as the biweekly or monthly losses. It could also just be your body adjusting to a new diet. Like I've said before when I first started dieting and working out again I was all over the place with my weight for a month or so. Eventually things will settle in and you'll be on our way to consistent weight loss.

Weighed in at 213 this morning. The fluctuations are unreal! A 3.5 lb swing from one day to the next.

Weighed in at 213 this morning. The fluctuations are unreal! A 3.5 lb swing from one day to the next.

Try not weighing in every day. You are going to have fluctuations every day, depending on what you ate the day before, how much water you are carrying, and other items.

Try weighing yourself once a week, on the same day each week. I even do it before I eat or drink anything in the morning. Also, make sure you use a good/real scale. The best ones are the ones that have the balance thingy. the cheap ones form Target/Walmart, etc, don't give an accurate reading every time, and can fluctuate with just how hard you step on the scale.

Yeah, even having 1 or 2 cheat meals a weeks will help you from going crazy, just make sure not to overindulge. It also gives you something to look forward to, a reward as opposed to a punishment, and making you feel worse when you give in. Also, I usually try to have my cheat meals on days that I go to the gym, so I can get rid of those extra calories.
  • 2 months later...

So... I really haven't been working out consistently for 2 months and have been eating absolutely awful since I started my job. Basically eating whatever I want with no regard to macros. I downed a box of costco cookies in a week at one point. That's probably 7k calories. Now, I do a lot of walking at work, but I figured I put on some weight since I wasn't doing jack and I felt like my belly may have grown a little. The past week or 2 I have kept myself in check during the week, but sort of a free for all on the weekends.

I stepped on the scale at the gym tonight out of curiosity, and found that I weighed my usual 222ish. Sound meh, till you consider I usually weigh-in in the morning (I gain 3 or 4 pounds throughout the day), I was fully clothed with shoes, keys, and phone on me. That means I've likely lost about 8 pounds being a POS!

I don't totally understand it, but it is what it is. I don't think it's from cycling off creatine because I never put on much weight with it, and my muscles have the same look without it. I must just move around way more than I think I do now. Should make things more attainable trying to lose my mext 20 lbs though.