What side dishes do you serve with pizza?

knapplc

I'm having a bunch of people over for pizza in a few weeks. I got the pizza covered, but I'm looking for suggestions for something to eat along side. Salad is an obvious choice, but what else could I make? Something lighter would be better, like an hors d'oeuvre - something they could snack on before the pizzas start rolling out of the oven.

Some good ideas. I agree that keeping it light is best. Lettuce wrap/cups can make a great presentation & easy finger-food. A few we've done with pizza:

italian - arugula, mushroom, italian parsley, pear, fresh lemon juice, olive oil (optional - blue/romano/asiago cheese, crushed walnuts, diced tomato)
spanish/mexican - cilantro, jicama, green chiles, red onion, fresh lime juice, olive oil (optional - cotija or manchego cheese; chile powder/mexican oregano/paprika for seasoning)
greek/mediterranean - english cucumber, red onion, green melon, feta cheese, mint, dill, fresh lemon/lime juice (optional - olive oil)
grill some veggies (mushroom, squash, zucchini, onion, eggplant, tomato, kernel corn, carrots, baby turnips, green beans, etc), drizzle with balsamic & parmesan cheese

Chop the ingredients & serve in baby romaine or radichio leaves. For larger amounts, wrap in lettuce, romaine, or cabbage leaves. Tie each section closed with cilantro/parsley stems & cut to size.

• Fire 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going with stuffed mushrooms. I have pesto on hand at all times. Add a little ricotta and there's my appetizer:

Pesto & Ricotta stuffed mushrooms

24 baby portobello mushrooms
1/3 c part skim ricotta cheese
3 T pesto (available in the refrigerator section of your local market)
2 t whole wheat flour
2 T grated romano or parmesan cheese
1 T breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and place the mushroom caps on the baking sheet with the stem side facing up. Mix the ricotta, pesto and flour. Spoon the mix evenly into the mushroom caps and press down. Combine the parmesan and breadcrumbs and sprinkle on top of the mushrooms. Press down lightly. Bake 15-20 minutes or until browned.

• Fire 1