A look at Mike Riley's offense

papersun87

Riley said today that they are looking at more shotgun runs than he's ever seen as our QBs are more comfortable out of the gun. Said they'll still be under center a lot but it sounds like not as much as Riley is used to.

so hes basically doing what i said hed do from the sec he was hired. Adjust to our talent and players comfort level.

No. He is gonna throw it 60 times a game, just like he did at Oregon St. This is all just a rouse.

• Fire 1

Riley said today that they are looking at more shotgun runs than he's ever seen as our QBs are more comfortable out of the gun. Said they'll still be under center a lot but it sounds like not as much as Riley is used to.

so hes basically doing what i said hed do from the sec he was hired. Adjust to our talent and players comfort level.

No. He is gonna throw it 60 times a game, just like he did at Oregon St. This is all just a rouse.

I am not humored.

I guess I'm wondering why everyone is upbeat about this? This is what Bill Callahan implemented and everyone hated it. A simple google search shows air coryell is a clever name for "west coast offense".........

"There are two similar but distinct offensive strategic systems which are commonly referred to as "West Coast offenses". Originally the term referred to the Air Coryell system popularized by Don Coryell, but, following a journalistic error, it now more commonly refers to the offensive system popularized by Bill Walsh, characterized by short, horizontal passing routes in lieu of running plays to "stretch out" defenses, opening up the potential for long runs or long passes."

"Callahan’s offense was a West-Coast scheme, shorter, timing routes and a different philosophy. The Cowboys’ offense is based on the Don Coryell system and a number tree with a more intermediate and vertical passing game."

Do we want this again?

I dont mind the switch IF there is respectable balance of power running mixed in. I dont want to be one dimensional again.

That said, I feel like Riley's strength is more about "how do we beat each team week to week" where Callahan was more "In X amount of plays in this specific order, we should be in the endzone."

That's not how a west coast offense works... There is not a lot of power running. It's mostly passing. Hence, what I believe why Riley's system fell off at ore st. It wasn't the talent. It's easy to defend against once you see it. I think Riley will have 2-3 successful years here then fall off like Callahan. So we will essentially be back at square one again. His success will be based off Pelini's recruits.

That's not how a west coast offense works... There is not a lot of power running. It's mostly passing. Hence, what I believe why Riley's system fell off at ore st. It wasn't the talent. It's easy to defend against once you see it. I think Riley will have 2-3 successful years here then fall off like Callahan. So we will essentially be back at square one again. His success will be based off Pelini's recruits.

It does t HAVE to be like that though. Youre assuming we are reverting to a strictly pass happy Callahan dumpster fire.

Since we have Pelini's recruits in place we could see a much different offense this year and next from what we will end up seeing down the road. Riley uses the talent he has in their most dangerous way.

Callahan didnt fall off cuz of his offense. His offense was actually just starting to click.

• Fire 1

Callahan came from the NFL, I know their are worried about "again" but I really think things won't be as bad this time around and I'm about as pessimistic as they come.

For one thing Riley and Co. said again and again they are going to install what the players can do. They aren't throwing everything out and starting completely over again come hell or high water.

Riley and his guys have coached and used this system at the collegiate level, they aren't bringing the infamous giant telephone book sized playbook from the NFL with them.

Lastly I sense an ability to adjust and change things based on what they did at Oregon State and new things they have tried just in their short time here that they had never done before, like the split practices and things like that.

• Fire 1

I agree that Callahan actually had a great offense and he's very well respected for his offensive mind. Just like Tim Beck knows offense. You don't get hired at Ohio State if you have no clue what you're doing. I think the Nebraska defense has been the real problem over the years. The Huskers have always put points on the board.

I believe Riley will run a base offense that is mainly built around his system from Oregon St. I recall reading an article when he was at Oregon St where they talked about how he was looking at tinkering with some things to keep up with the Pac 12 scoring. Im not a fan of his offense, but I truly believe they will do everything they can to coach to our players skill set. I promise you they will recruit the typical drop back NFL type pocket passer for the future. Defense wins football games. Im much more concerned with keeping the other teams out of our endzone than Rileys offense. Coach Riley will put points on the board.

• Fire 1