QB Brandon Peters [Michigan Commit]

Mavric

Plus Langsdorf can sell his NFL resume (though Harbaugh can as well to some extent).

Were you making a joke with this comment?

No, I meant Harbaugh obviously has the NFL experience though not as a QB coach.

Jim Harbaugh has more years as a QB coach in the NFL than Langsdorf.

Plus I would say his success at Stanford with Andrew Luck and his 3 NFC title game appearances with Kaepernick, not to mention his playing days is a far better resume than Langsdorf's 3 seasons in New Orleans as a QC coach and assistant WR coach and his 1 year as a QB coach.

But that's just me. And I hope this kid pick Nebraska.

Plus Langsdorf can sell his NFL resume (though Harbaugh can as well to some extent).

Plus I would say his success at Stanford with Andrew Luck and his 3 NFC title game appearances with Kaepernick, not to mention his playing days is a far better resume than Langsdorf's 3 seasons in New Orleans as a QC coach and assistant WR coach and his 1 year as a QB coach.

My point was Langsdorf will be his OC here and QB coach. He was also a QB coach in the NFL last year. Harbaugh was a head coach in the NFL and is the head coach at Michigan. He's also been the offensive coordinator and works with QBs during that time but wasn't and won't be working as closely to the quarterbacks because of all his other responsibilities. I wasn't trying to downplay Harbaugh's accomplishments.

My point was Langsdorf will be his OC here and QB coach. He was also a QB coach in the NFL last year. Harbaugh was a head coach in the NFL and is the head coach at Michigan. He's also been the offensive coordinator and works with QBs during that time but wasn't and won't be working as closely to the quarterbacks because of all his other responsibilities. I wasn't trying to downplay Harbaugh's accomplishments.

Okay. But when you say, "to some extent", that to me says you think Langsdorf has some greater amount of pull than Harbaugh and that just isn't true in any extent.

I remember Riley saying their strategy for recruiting a QB in 2016 will be to make a single offer to their top guy and go full-court press for his commitment. If that offer does not pan out, then they will make three offers to their second tier group and let the prospects know it will be first come, first serve. If this is their strategy playing out, does that mean Peters is their #1 Overall QB recruit (not Guarantano), and prospects like Zeb Noland are making up the second tier?

I guess I don't follow you. Guarantano already had an offer from the previous staff and it was pretty widely speculated that's who Langsdorf was in New Jersey visiting in January. Thus, we wouldn't necessarily have seen a new offer announcement from Guarantano because he already had an offer. But there were several reports that Langsdorf was interested in him. So that would fit your description that it didn't work out with our #1 target so now we're moving on to the next set.

I know Guarantano was receiving attention from Langsdorf, but Peters has been the only QB offer this staff has made, as you mentioned Guarantano's offer came from the old staff. Guarantano could have been there #1 QB recruit but that ship sailed, so they are moving to their second tier guys already. However, without additional offers, it makes me wonder if Peters is their #1 overall who they think they can land, and Guarantano could have been but never showed enough interest for them to heavily pursue. Maybe it is a 1A vs 1B type of situation, with Peters being the only one of the two that showed interest removing Guarantano from the conversation.

I remember Riley saying their strategy for recruiting a QB in 2016 will be to make a single offer to their top guy and go full-court press for his commitment. If that offer does not pan out, then they will make three offers to their second tier group and let the prospects know it will be first come, first serve. If this is their strategy playing out, does that mean Peters is their #1 Overall QB recruit (not Guarantano), and prospects like Zeb Noland are making up the second tier?

I guess I don't follow you. Guarantano already had an offer from the previous staff and it was pretty widely speculated that's who Langsdorf was in New Jersey visiting in January. Thus, we wouldn't necessarily have seen a new offer announcement from Guarantano because he already had an offer. But there were several reports that Langsdorf was interested in him. So that would fit your description that it didn't work out with our #1 target so now we're moving on to the next set.

I know Guarantano was receiving attention from Langsdorf, but Peters has been the only QB offer this staff has made, as you mentioned Guarantano's offer came from the old staff. Guarantano could have been there #1 QB recruit but that ship sailed, so they are moving to their second tier guys already. However, without additional offers, it makes me wonder if Peters is their #1 overall who they think they can land, and Guarantano could have been but never showed enough interest for them to heavily pursue. Maybe it is a 1A vs 1B type of situation, with Peters being the only one of the two that should interest removing Guarantano from the conversation.

I don't think you can say that the new staff didn't offer him. It's entirely possible that there just wasn't an announcement because he already had an offer from Nebraska. Langsdorf could have told him he still had an offer and we wanted him but he might not have gone around telling people he got offered by Nebraska again. Especially if he wasn't that interested.

If he was the first QB Langsdorf went to visit, I think that say all you need to know. Really, there's not way Langsdorf went all the way to New Jersey and didn't offer him.

Dang. Was hoping he'd hover around the back end of the Top 247/300 lists. Probably going to keep getting more looks.

But this staff are such great recruiters we should be in good shape.

Think he should easily be among those lists.

Ditto on the staff

Dang. Was hoping he'd hover around the back end of the Top 247/300 lists. Probably going to keep getting more looks.

I think it's a little early to call them great recruiters. So far our 3 commits for 2016 were secured by the previous coaching staff.

And before anyone says how they saved the 2015 class, it doesn't make them great. Especially since the one guy that was responsible for almost half of the commits is no longer coaching for us.

• Fire 1

Okay. But when you say, "to some extent", that to me says you think Langsdorf has some greater amount of pull than Harbaugh and that just isn't true in any extent.

Harbaugh has one year of QC experience, the rest have been HC gigs. I'll give him credit for squeezing talent out of players, but developing QBs is not a claim I'd automatically annoint him with. Throw out Luck and I'll shoot back Kaepernick - who has progressively become worse.

I think it's a little early to call them great recruiters. So far our 3 commits for 2016 were secured by the previous coaching staff.

And before anyone says how they saved the 2015 class, it doesn't make them great. Especially since the one guy that was responsible for almost half of the commits is no longer coaching for us.

Agree. That comment was tongue-in-cheek.

High four-star QB KJ Costello is down to Stanford, USC and Michigan and will be deciding sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately it's not looking really good for Michigan but he hasn't visited since Harbuagh was hired. If he picks Michigan, that would be huge for us here.

Stranger things have happened, but I expect him to make the call for SC.

• 2 weeks later...