First of all, this "Bo crowd" is extremely small in the fan base now. I honestly can't even remember the last time I had a conversation in real life or on this board with a group of people pissed off that Bo was fired and that think he should still be here.

That "Bo" crowd has to be imaginary, at this point. Right?

Wrong, and wrong.

The Bo leavers are here, and have not gone away. They have just tired of arguing for now. Passively-aggressively waiting for the regular season, when they can finally prove to everyone that the 'Riley Experiment' (blatent allusion) was a mistake. If there really is any similarity to Callahan, that would be it. Not the coach, but the certain percentage of fans who stay pissy about TO's chosen coaches being fired.

So the Riley experiment gets one year to prove itself and we gave Bo 7 years to f#*k things up?..........makes perfect sense to me.

Even with Hill, we should beat BYU. We will have a better understanding of what we have, though, depending on how we play.

Miami is more concerning to me. It took a career game from Abdullah to only beat them by 10 at home last season. We'll have a much better understanding of what we have after that game.

Not sure what to expect, really. Which is what makes this season exciting for a change.

Whether or not Riley is the right guy for the job, letting Bo go was the correct choice. People need to get over that.

Yep. Miami is the one we should be worried about. That QB of theirs played a pretty decent game for a freshman playing in a jacked up Memorial stadium at night. That kid will be an entirely better player.

Plus, you know Miami is gonna bring the nasty after all that extracurricular activity we had in the game last year. I hope that game is similar. This team needs to be woken up early and reminded that this is a fight.

Nebraska really has to beat those guys. Who knows when we'll get another shot at em. We already got one, let's get both and shut their ass up for a good long while.

• Fire 1

So the Riley experiment gets one year to prove itself and we gave Bo 7 years to f#*k things up?..........makes perfect sense to me.

If Riley doesn't immediately win as much or more than Pelini......then yes, the media who so many thought would "be on our side" will have absolutely no trouble finding the story line.

If Riley doesn't immediately win as much or more than Pelini......then yes, the media who so many thought would "be on our side" will have absolutely no trouble finding the story line.

Certain media will have an agenda no matter what the record.Right,Dirk?

And I'm sure you will be tagging right along reminding us of it constantly.

Even with Hill, we should beat BYU. We will have a better understanding of what we have, though, depending on how we play.

Miami is more concerning to me. It took a career game from Abdullah to only beat them by 10 at home last season. We'll have a much better understanding of what we have after that game.

Not sure what to expect, really. Which is what makes this season exciting for a change.

Whether or not Riley is the right guy for the job, letting Bo go was the correct choice. People need to get over that.

Only by 10? A double digit win is considered a very solid win, and the lead was 17 before a score in garbage time on a 4th and goal. NU was clearly the better team that night no question.

Only by 10? A double digit win is considered a very solid win, and the lead was 17 before a score in garbage time on a 4th and goal. NU was clearly the better team that night no question.

No question.

The point is Abdullah made more than a 10 point difference in the game, and we won't enjoy that advantage this time around. Not to mention RG4 made a huge impact in the game as well.

You're probably right. "IF" Riley doesn't succeed, or at least not to the level the fans and media demand, then there will be negative stories written, surely. Just like there is for every other coach who doesn't produce to the demands or expectations of their fan base.

The difference is that a coach can control this negativity when/if it arises. Riley is a guy that will handle any adversity that may arise with class, maturity, and a level headed approach that will make it hard for a big deal to become an even bigger deal. His honesty and straightforward approach with people is appealing and makes it easy to understand his position and where he's coming from. It will be hard, for many, not to root for this guy based on his personality alone.

Much different than the last guy we got so used to having around. I think some people need to understand that how it was here recently, is NOT the way it's supposed to be. The fans and the media should not be your adversary.

I don't understand the fears that we'll lose more games than the recent past. We won those 9 or 10 games per year with an extremely dysfunctional coaching staff. I mean if Pelini, Beck, and Paps could win 9 games, how are some of you not stoked to see what this team can do with some real mentoring and guidance? Blows my mind some of these 6-6, 7-5 records people are tossing about. Maybe it's just the fear of the unknown? I for one expect things to get better immediately. That does not mean I won't allow the new staff some growing pains. I will give them as much latitude, probably even more, than I did the previous cast of characters. But the optimist in me says we have already turned the corner and our record will likely reflect that, yes, even in year one of the new regime.

• Fire 1

You're probably right. "IF" Riley doesn't succeed, or at least not to the level the fans and media demand, then there will be negative stories written, surely. Just like there is for every other coach who doesn't produce to the demands or expectations of their fan base.

The difference is that a coach can control this negativity when/if it arises. Riley is a guy that will handle any adversity that may arise with class, maturity, and a level headed approach that will make it hard for a big deal to become an even bigger deal. His honesty and straightforward approach with people is appealing and makes it easy to understand his position and where he's coming from. It will be hard, for many, not to root for this guy based on his personality alone.

Much different than the last guy we got so used to having around. I think some people need to understand that how it was here recently, is NOT the way it's supposed to be. The fans and the media should not be your adversary.

Riley may just be too nice to fire?

I don't understand the fears that we'll lose more games than the recent past. We won those 9 or 10 games per year with an extremely dysfunctional coaching staff. I mean if Pelini, Beck, and Paps could win 9 games, how are some of you not stoked to see what this team can do with some real mentoring and guidance? Blows my mind some of these 6-6, 7-5 records people are tossing about. Maybe it's just the fear of the unknown? I for one expect things to get better immediately. That does not mean I won't allow the new staff some growing pains. I will give them as much latitude, probably even more, than I did the previous cast of characters. But the optimist in me says we have already turned the corner and our record will likely reflect that, yes, even in year one of the new regime.

right now for me it is a personnel issue.......OL and DL just worry the hell out of me......that's your base, if it is weak, so will be the results.

right now for me it is a personnel issue.......OL and DL just worry the hell out of me......that's your base, if it is weak, so will be the results.

I understand those types of concerns. We haven't controlled the line of scrimmage in either direction for a very long time so that is an ongoing issue. However, I feel our talent level is basically the same as it has been, if not slightly better. Sure some of these guys may not be exactly the type of guys needed for the new systems but I get the distinct feeling Riley will make adjustments to his system to allow for the strengths of the players he has. That alone will be a huge change from the previous staff, who was unwilling to to change anything. I just don't see a possible scenario where we do any worse. Sure the W-L record could be a game or two worse but I'd bet, if it is, the losses will be much better contested and more palatable than our recent style of losses. In my mind there is a huge difference between playing well but still losing instead of playing poorly and losing or squeaking out an unimpressive win. Until I see otherwise, I will assume we will be seeing much better things on the field and that is more important than some arbitrary 9 win stat.

Please.

It makes at least some sense to predict when you have a rough idea of what the team will be. Do we, right now?

They can't lose to Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota? These teams won last year.

They can't lose to Iowa? That was a very close game.

They can't lose to Northwestern? (Well, that would be surprising, I admit, but those teams are well coached, too.)

They can't lose to Miami and BYU?

If Tommy stays a 50% thrower, and the defensive front seven gets worked regularly?

I mean, they could also run the table or go 11-1. All those games are possible wins, too, of course.

I understand your point. But based on what we have done and what we know we're capable of there's just no excuse for anything less than a 9-3 regular season. I know it's a new staff and all, but it's not really about what could happen. I'm basing it on what will probably happen, or should happen.

We could go 2-10 too, but it's not gonna happen. It just aint.

Late to the party but I agree with this. Based solely on talent alone, we should win 8 games no matter what.

Hell, athletically we were (almost) step for step with USC.

The trick is having a coach that maximizes that talent...which, we only have room to improve after the previous staff..