eyeswear2allthatsholy You know Knapp, it must be a pretty intense rivalry (USU and BYU) if the BYU fans are talking about mullets and stuff!

Oh, that's nothing. When we BYU fans get really steamed at a Utah State fan, we've been known to even go as far as to take freshly baked cookies to that person after we've already taken them to the rest of the neighborhood!

Once at a BYU-USU game, an Aggie fan sitting in a nearby section started being somewhat rude. I endured it as long as I could, but eventually something in me just snapped and I marched right up to that fellow and said "Hey, now!" I'm embarrassed to admit that I could lose control so badly. (My voice was quite stern.) I apologized to the ladies who were present for using such harsh language, then went back to my seat.

The incident that was a graphic, horrifying display of the intensity of the rivalry occurred just a few years ago. BYU was playing Utah State at home that year. I had arrived a bit early, and was spending the extra time going over the Sunday School lesson I was to teach the next day. About 20 minutes before kickoff, I noticed some people in clothing that was a slightly different shade of blue than that worn at BYU walk hesitantly out of an entrance tunnel. The shade of blue and their mullets told me immediately that they were Aggie fans. As I watched them, they stood, mouths slack in toothless astonishment, scanning the inside of Lavell Edwards Stadium. "Ah!" I thought. "This is their first time here." The incident would have died down if I had stopped myself at that point, but my next thought was of how small Utah State's stadium is, no bigger than a high school stadium, really, and, heaven have mercy on me, I smiled, not a smile of joy or friendly greeting, but of satisfaction that Utah State's stadium was less than half the size of Lavell Edwards Stadium--even smaller than the stadium at the University of Utah, if you can imagine that! I looked right at those people and smiled, until I was enveloped in shame at what I had done.

I can't imagine the good people of Nebraska having similar thoughts and smiling at me in the same self-satisfied manner when they think about the difference in size between the magnificant Memorial Stadium and BYU's humble stadium in Provo with its measly capacity of just under 64,000. No, nothing could compare to the deep, intense, and obsessive animosity that we BYU fans have toward...

Wait...What school was I talking about? Oh, yeah. Utah State someting-or-other. Do we play them this year? I never can remember.

• Fire 4

I hate to break the BYU/usu threads here and I apologize but I have a question about the Huskers. I've read several comments that the DB's are a strength (or THEE strength) of the defense. What would you say the reason behind them being so solid? Do your DB's have good size and speed which allows them to cover both the tall athletic and the small fast receivers? Who in your defensive backfield would you say is the anchor that keeps things running?

I hate to break the BYU/usu threads here and I apologize but I have a question about the Huskers. I've read several comments that the DB's are a strength (or THEE strength) of the defense. What would you say the reason behind them being so solid? Do your DB's have good size and speed which allows them to cover both the tall athletic and the small fast receivers? Who in your defensive backfield would you say is the anchor that keeps things running?

One thing Bo did right on defense was coach em up on the secondary. He didn't recruit stellar guys, but he and his inexperienced staff somehow turned them inot one of the better units in the nation. The talent remains this year, just don't know how Riley utilizes that area.

Nate Gerry will be all over the field, he isn't an anchor though. He is a Hulk.

Pelini was a DB player and coach. He recruited long armed rangy guys that can run. NU under Pelini always had good secondaries. I would say the DT are also a strength.

• Fire 1

eyeswear2allthatsholy You know Knapp, it must be a pretty intense rivalry (USU and BYU) if the BYU fans are talking about mullets and stuff!

Oh, that's nothing. When we BYU fans get really steamed at a Utah State fan, we've been known to even go as far as to take freshly baked cookies to that person after we've already taken them to the rest of the neighborhood!

Once at a BYU-USU game, an Aggie fan sitting in a nearby section started being somewhat rude. I endured it as long as I could, but eventually something in me just snapped and I marched right up to that fellow and said "Hey, now!" I'm embarrassed to admit that I could lose control so badly. (My voice was quite stern.) I apologized to the ladies who were present for using such harsh language, then went back to my seat.

The incident that was a graphic, horrifying display of the intensity of the rivalry occurred just a few years ago. BYU was playing Utah State at home that year. I had arrived a bit early, and was spending the extra time going over the Sunday School lesson I was to teach the next day. About 20 minutes before kickoff, I noticed some people in clothing that was a slightly different shade of blue than that worn at BYU walk hesitantly out of an entrance tunnel. The shade of blue and their mullets told me immediately that they were Aggie fans. As I watched them, they stood, mouths slack in toothless astonishment, scanning the inside of Lavell Edwards Stadium. "Ah!" I thought. "This is their first time here." The incident would have died down if I had stopped myself at that point, but my next thought was of how small Utah State's stadium is, no bigger than a high school stadium, really, and, heaven have mercy on me, I smiled, not a smile of joy or friendly greeting, but of satisfaction that Utah State's stadium was less than half the size of Lavell Edwards Stadium--even smaller than the stadium at the University of Utah, if you can imagine that! I looked right at those people and smiled, until I was enveloped in shame at what I had done.

I can't imagine the good people of Nebraska having similar thoughts and smiling at me in the same self-satisfied manner when they think about the difference in size between the magnificant Memorial Stadium and BYU's humble stadium in Provo with its measly capacity of just under 64,000. No, nothing could compare to the deep, intense, and obsessive animosity that we BYU fans have toward...

Wait...What school was I talking about? Oh, yeah. Utah State someting-or-other. Do we play them this year? I never can remember.

He, ♫ he, ♪. ha, +1

BYU Fan here. Just what I think about the game and maybe some things that you may be interested in knowing about BYU. I am not sure what I think of the game or any prediction I can make. For the most part I think it will be a higher scoring game.

The past several years BYU has had pretty stout defenses. Even though they have played a lot of yard trash, their defense has held traditional rushing teams to low yardage. Ole Miss had two 1000+ rushers on their team and the BYU defense was solid. They have performed well against decent running teams from P5 conferences. Bronco, the head coach, is a genius when it comes to defense. However, last year was a big change for the BYU defense. Bronco turned the defense over to Nick Howell who was promoted to DC. Nick Howell, never played college ball and coached high school football where he had 3 wins and 30+ losses. I think at one point he had 24 losses in a row. He is not College Coach material, technically he isn't high school coach material. Half way through the year, Bronco took over play calling duties from Nick, who still ran team meetings and practices. BYU still had some terrible losses. This year Bronco is keeping play calling duties, but NIck is still in charge of practices, meetings and drills. The same situation for the last half of the year last year. When it comes to defense, BYU will be sorely under prepared and coached. Technically the only reason, Nick has a job is that he is Bronco's best friend.

Even though Riley is 1-2 vs BYU as a coach, his last win was very impressive and he did it with a back up QB. What Riley did was went Max protect and let the receivers get open. BYU has a very weak pass rush, trouble disguising blitz's and the CB's are lacking. Unless something has changed, if Riley has problems running against BYU, expect him to use this tactic. Even if your QB isn't that great, I would say he is probably, at least, on par with Oregon States back-up.

BYU's strength this year is their offense. Taysom Hill is a stud. He has several very tall receivers and some experienced OL people. The major running back is out for the year due to a possible Honor Code violation (probably something stupid like swearing in public). The back up running back has some skill and isn't too bad, but it drops off after that. Anae the OC has created potent offenses in the past and will probably have a pretty potent offense that can score pretty easy.

There will probably be several players suspended because of the brawl last year. Many of the players are defensive players. The combination of bad coaching, suspended players, little pass rush, and weak DB's suggests you guys should probably score at will.

I don't know who will win. As a BYU fan I will say BYU, but wouldn't bet money on it. I think it will be a close, high scoring game.

Hey Husker fans,

September 5th can't come quickly enough. I'm driving the 14 hours out from Utah. I've been waiting for this matchup since 1997. I grew up a BYU fan, moved to Lincoln for my senior year of high school (Lincoln East Class of '97) and learned to love the Huskers as a second team. I just missed the Tommie Frazier era but followed the Huskers with Scott Frost and Eric Crouch. I lived next to Will Shields.

I grew up watching BYU teams with pass-happy offenses and no defense. Being introduced to the Black Shirts and option football was a blast and the first place I truly learned to love the college football experience. I haven't followed the Huskers much since the firing of Frank Solich. Once Nebraska's identity as a tough option run team changed, I have focused my time on BYU. BYU is closest to my heart and I'm also an alum.

I hope you have good experiences with BYU fans at the game. By far the majority of fans are good, kind people but we have some bad apples like every fanbase. I'm excited for BYU to experience the hospitality of Lincoln and Memorial Stadium.

If you have any questions about BYU, I'd be happy to answer them.

1. BYU will certainly suspend a bunch of the players from the bowl game fight. At the beginning of this thread I noticed some raised eyebrows over BYU punishing someone having pre-marital sex over throwing a punch at a game. While Bronco is keeping his cards close to his vest for competitive reasons, there will certainly be punishments. Discipline is taken seriously at BYU because of how it could reflect on it's parent institution, the LDS Church.

2. Taysom is legit. I guarantee Texas doesn't want to face him again. Obviously the Huskers will focus on shutting him down so it will be interesting to see if he has improved his passing game. If BYU can spread the ball around the field, it bodes well for the Cougars. Of course, if the Huskers can contain Taysom, it bodes well for the Huskers.

3. The older average player age gets used as an excuse every year by teams that lose to BYU. It's an easy excuse that usually doesn't tell what really happened on the field. The average age usually isn't that much higher, plus they are taking 2 years away from football and intense training. It takes most returned missionaries at least one season to get back to the form they had before the mission. BYU has had many players look good to great their freshman year, then leave for a mission and never fulfill the promise they showed as freshman.

4. If you want to engage in good football discussion with BYU, don't belittle the fans by assuming the Huskers are better just because you play in a P5 conference. I totally agree that the Huskers have better overall depth than BYU but many P5 teams have lost to BYU assuming their talent alone would win the day. Give us a little respect and you'll get it back.

I'm looking forward to Greg's Drive-in burgers (a high school favorite), Valentino's pizza, Runza, and red hot dogs.

After September 5th, Go Big Red but until then Go Cougs!

HuskerCoug

• Fire 2

Our previous defensive staff, for all their imperfections, were always top notch at coaching up our secondary.

Whether that's individual player coaching or raw inherent talent is unsure, but a big part of it was good scheming. Even in years where our run defense was awful, our pass efficiency defense has been top 1-3 in the country pretty much all of the last 6 years.

The question will be how much of that was scheme vs talent, because we've got a lot of returners, but we're unsure of how our new staff will utilize that. We've got some good guys back there though.

Our previous defensive staff, for all their imperfections, were always top notch at coaching up our secondary.

Whether that's individual player coaching or raw inherent talent is unsure, but a big part of it was good scheming. Even in years where our run defense was awful, our pass efficiency defense has been top 1-3 in the country pretty much all of the last 6 years.

The question will be how much of that was scheme vs talent, because we've got a lot of returners, but we're unsure of how our new staff will utilize that. We've got some good guys back there though.

I don't want to sound like I'm disagreeing with you cause I'd hate to get Saunders, Mavric, or the Pony Posse after me, that'd be scary. But, Bo's pass defenses were always highly efficient. Not big in the turnover department or anything else. Thing is, not a lot of defenses commit to stopping the pass the way Bo Pelini's did. To put it very simply, disregarding some of the match zone concepts that were confusing and effective, it's also a bit easier to be highly "efficient" when you commit 7 defenders to stopping the pass on a regular basis. There's a very high percentage of plays where Pelini only rushed the front four defenders. We rarely blitzed.

Just saying, I know people toot their little "I love Bo Pelini horn" when it comes to his pass defenses, but most defenses will be successful with 7 guys dropping into coverage.

• Fire 2

Alot of BYU fans have already declared a win against Nebraska on their way to a 4-0 start for the Kewgers this September even against other teams like Boise State and UCLA. On BYU fan sites and the comment sections in the Utah newspapers BYU fans are saying Nebraska will be an easy game for them because of their QB Taysom Hill who they say should win the Heisman Trophy this year.

BYU all the time during the off season and before the season fans start going around saying their team is 100% for sure going to go undefeated and win a bunch of awards and stuff. I saw some Nebraska fans posting on BYU sites wondering why BYU fans think it will be such an easy game for the Kewgers and they get jumped on fast.

Alot of BYU fans have already declared a win against Nebraska on their way to a 4-0 start for the Kewgers this September even against other teams like Boise State and UCLA. On BYU fan sites and the comment sections in the Utah newspapers BYU fans are saying Nebraska will be an easy game for them because of their QB Taysom Hill who they say should win the Heisman Trophy this year.

BYU all the time during the off season and before the season fans start going around saying their team is 100% for sure going to go undefeated and win a bunch of awards and stuff. I saw some Nebraska fans posting on BYU sites wondering why BYU fans think it will be such an easy game for the Kewgers and they get jumped on fast.

Really? You are on this board too? For someone that hates BYU so much you spend a lot of time obsessing over them. I could careless for the Aggies and because I don't care for them, I don't go on their message boards let alone their opponents message boards. You need to find yourself a woman, at this point "attractive" shouldn't even be a requirement.

I don't want to sound like I'm disagreeing with you cause I'd hate to get Saunders, Mavric, or the Pony Posse after me, that'd be scary. But, Bo's pass defenses were always highly efficient. Not big in the turnover department or anything else. Thing is, not a lot of defenses commit to stopping the pass the way Bo Pelini's did. To put it very simply, disregarding some of the match zone concepts that were confusing and effective, it's also a bit easier to be highly "efficient" when you commit 7 defenders to stopping the pass on a regular basis. There's a very high percentage of plays where Pelini only rushed the front four defenders. We rarely blitzed.

Just saying, I know people toot their little "I love Bo Pelini horn" when it comes to his pass defenses, but most defenses will be successful with 7 guys dropping into coverage.

Certainly the scheme played a part, so there's no reason to straw man your way into making a point. But we also had a lot of success with DB's on an individual basis. SJB was a great example. We have lots of talent in the secondary right now, and it's a common talking point locally and in the national previews. I look forward to seeing how superior coaching and a scheme that gets more pressure on the QB will help them.