And the downside of the designed run play, with a QB trying to break tackles is injuries. I don't remember anyone other than Tommie Frazier staying healthy and taking a beating like that.

Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, Jamal Lord, etc. all did okay with it as well :P

I personally think that the thought of a QB that runs like that can't stay as healthy as a pure passing QB is a myth.

BYU Fans - is there any feel as to how free Hill will be to run, especially early in the season? With Williams out, Hill is the Offense's home run threat, right? My understanding is RB is being taken over by Algie Brown or Adam Hine, neither of which is a threat to stretch the field. So with Taysom Hill being the focal point of the offense, will Bronco hold him back early on?

BYU's first four games are pretty tough:

@ Nebraska, 9/5/15

Boise State, 9/12/15

@ UCLA, 9/19/15

@ Michigan, 9/26/15

That's a pretty stiff first four games. Nebraska Fan is looking at the game from our point of view, but from Cougar Fan's perspective, there's a lot of football early on, and Nebraska is only the first test.

With Hill's injury history, does he try to stay in the pocket more? Any feel for this, BYU Fan?

Nice! Football talk.

TL;DR Hill will run the ball often, but probably have fewer designed run plays.

Here are his per game stats from last year with the rush attempts in bold: (EDIT: The formatting got all messed up. His attempts per game were: 12, 24, 26, 17, and 8 to start the game he broke his leg)

These kinds of plays that turn into designed run plays for Hill will be called less often this year. I still think they will call a few to make teams prepare for them. The read option would get called very frequently last year and when teams crashed the DE in, Hill ran the ball way too many times per game:

taysom.0.gif

And the downside of the designed run play, with a QB trying to break tackles is injuries. I don't remember anyone other than Tommie Frazier staying healthy and taking a beating like that.

I would not be surprised if he still ran a few designed run plays, and scrambled enough to get 10+ rushes in a game, but hopefully nothing close to 20. I expect to see more slides and running out of bounds at the end of runs. Hill scrambles out of pass plays frequently. I think that is harder to defend than the designed run plays, so I still think his rushing will be a big part of the BYU offense.

taysom-hill-hurdles-a-texas-defender-a.g

I'd love to see a beginners guide to the current Nebraska offense, especially what people expect it to be with Riley if someone has a link. I was not able to find anything with a couple Google searches.

Sweet mother of athleticism....

Ok, i am slightly more nervous.. That play was pretty impressive.

He had a longer run against the Longhorns called back.

I'm getting the impression that everyone expecting us to win this game haven't watched BYU play. Especially the four games with a healthy Hill last year, everyone should watch highlights. Watch the whole Texas game from last year if you really want to sober up.

I have watch them play a lot. Living out in Mormon country I get a lot of BYU. Boise State absolutely curb stomped them last year. I watched the game he broke his let in also. That is why I have a hard time seeing him be 100% exactly the same as he was last year. If Matt Herian's break was a 10 Tasum Hill's break was at least a 7.5 or 8. It took him a year and a half to come back and he never was the same.

A lot of the talk radio out here is comparing his situation to Chuckie Keaton at Utah St. he hurt the leg in 2013. All the talk out of Aggie land was that he was fine and 100%. The first game of the '14 season you could tell he wasn't the same. I just have a hard time seeing him be exactly the same, with no rust whatsoever on his game, at the very least.

Oh, and their defense was terrible last year.

I am not saying the game is going to be a cakewalk, they are good and will play hard and be physical, but everyone is getting their knickers in a bunch over one guy and what he did to a bad Texas team that took BYU way to lightly.

BYU Fans - is there any feel as to how free Hill will be to run, especially early in the season? With Williams out, Hill is the Offense's home run threat, right? My understanding is RB is being taken over by Algie Brown or Adam Hine, neither of which is a threat to stretch the field. So with Taysom Hill being the focal point of the offense, will Bronco hold him back early on?

BYU's first four games are pretty tough:

@ Nebraska, 9/5/15

Boise State, 9/12/15

@ UCLA, 9/19/15

@ Michigan, 9/26/15

That's a pretty stiff first four games. Nebraska Fan is looking at the game from our point of view, but from Cougar Fan's perspective, there's a lot of football early on, and Nebraska is only the first test.

With Hill's injury history, does he try to stay in the pocket more? Any feel for this, BYU Fan?

Nice! Football talk.

TL;DR Hill will run the ball often, but probably have fewer designed run plays.

Here are his per game stats from last year with the rush attempts in bold: (EDIT: The formatting got all messed up. His attempts per game were: 12, 24, 26, 17, and 8 to start the game he broke his leg)

These kinds of plays that turn into designed run plays for Hill will be called less often this year. I still think they will call a few to make teams prepare for them. The read option would get called very frequently last year and when teams crashed the DE in, Hill ran the ball way too many times per game:

taysom.0.gif

I would not be surprised if he still ran a few designed run plays, and scrambled enough to get 10+ rushes in a game, but hopefully nothing close to 20. I expect to see more slides and running out of bounds at the end of runs. Hill scrambles out of pass plays frequently. I think that is harder to defend than the designed run plays, so I still think his rushing will be a big part of the BYU offense.

taysom-hill-hurdles-a-texas-defender-a.g

I'd love to see a beginners guide to the current Nebraska offense, especially what people expect it to be with Riley if someone has a link. I was not able to find anything with a couple Google searches.

Sweet mother of athleticism....

Ok, i am slightly more nervous.. That play was pretty impressive.

He had a longer run against the Longhorns called back.

I'm getting the impression that everyone expecting us to win this game haven't watched BYU play. Especially the four games with a healthy Hill last year, everyone should watch highlights. Watch the whole Texas game from last year if you really want to sober up.

I dont want nightmares.. SO NO THANKS!

But ya, i can admit i dont know much about BYU... Probably should do some reading up.

Outside of Hill there isn't one other player on BYU that should scare us. Stop the run and you'll win the game.

Yes, yes, absolutely. Move along, nothing to see here.

Oh, please, please, please focus the game plan on stopping the run. That would make me very happy.

That's an awful lot of chatter for a team that lost to Nevada, Utah State, and UCF.

• Fire 2

Outside of Hill there isn't one other player on BYU that should scare us. Stop the run and you'll win the game.

Oh, please, please, please focus the game plan on stopping the run. That would make me very happy.

I imagine pressuring him and limiting his runs will be priority #1. Doesnt sound like any of the BYU RB's are going to torch us. Controling the receivers will be business as usual.

If BYU's defensive game plan is to stop/slow the Husker running game, and force our offense to throw more.......... Well I just hope TA and our Oline will be ready for it. Without Ameer in the backfield to keep teams honest worries me some.

Most teams that give us fits are the ones that can frustrate our run game with an extra guy near the box, and put us in long passing downs. But also (which is key for success with a good run defense) is to have a good pass rush to go with it. The secondary doesn't have to be great if we can't run effectively, are forced to take on blitzes, get rushed in the pocket and start slinging it everywhere to who-knows-who...

I think this is why Langsdorf and Riley have emphasized the importance of knowing the right reads at the line, and to get rid of it quickly and accurately.

How is BYU's run defense and pass rush? Would be great to know

That's an awful lot of chatter for a team that lost to Nevada, Utah State, and UCF.

In BYU's defense, they did lose their star QB in the Utah State game...

That being said, that doesnt answer the question on why they gave up scores of:

42,55(twice), 35 and 31.... Defense seems pretty weak.

That's because like that other church school in the midwest, we have our own Touchdown Jesus, and his name is Taysom.

I imagine pressuring him and limiting his runs will be priority #1. Doesnt sound like any of the BYU RB's are going to torch us. Controling the receivers will be business as usual.

Just curious. How tall are your cornerbacks? No reason.