Not to try and make excuses, but how is it any different than the constant stabs at Mormons you guys have been taking?

You mean the constant stabs that we had a problem with earlier today? And asked that people refrain from?

Yeah, except I didn't read anything about telling people to refrain... Sorry.

Even if you missed that post, why would you justify that?

Err....

Brandon Davies was dismissed from BYU's basketball team after he admitted to having sexual relations in violation of the school's honor code, the Salt Lake Tribune reported Wednesday.

Must have been that un-holy buttstuff.

"We struggled (getting penetration) last year," Rowley said. "We have to be more physical and then we can open holes."

Sorry, couldn't help it. Seriously though:

He said that after months of not being able to really hit the QB, he's anxious to get to the Nebraska game and go all out.

"That's the best feeling in the first game when you get to hit the quarterback," Kaufusi said. "You're sick and tired of patting them on the back and running by."

Daily Herald

Looks like they plan on putting a lot of pressure of TA. Beware of the zone read though, or they will get burned.

BYU was dinged up quite a bit last year. Plus they moved Bronson Kaufusi to OLB last year. It was a disastrous move. Combined with the injuries to the defense, young guys forced into playing time, and a first time DC the defense really suffered.

Bronco took back the defense and the DC was demoted to DB coach. Bronson has been moved back to DE. He's a talent but he's best suited to play DE in 4-3 IMO. So he's still a bit of a square being forced into round hole.

The secondary was pretty bad last year, but they get too much of the blame for the defense. The real issue was a lack of pass rush and the secondary paid the price.

BYU's front 7 is legit. Bronco has always had a stop the run first mentality. That hasn't changed, but there has been an emphasis of getting to the QB especially with those guys whose whose hands are in the dirt.

I think the secondary will be a bit better than last year. There were a few guys who didn't buy in and it exposed the team and scheme which is dependent on assignments.

Still, the defense is relatively young. I'm anxious to see if the secondary is improved and if we can dominate an inexperienced line up front.

As for the zone read, I don't think BYU is too concerned about it. Bronco defends it and the triple option as well as anyone in the country. Besides they see a better read option QB than Tommy Armstrong everyday.

BYU shouldn't be concerned about the zone read, It's probably no big deal anyway. Not saying Taysom Hill is a bad QB, but I would rather have a QB who spent more time on the field than riding the pine with injuries. Maybe this will be the year he makes it through a whole season.

He played every game the season before last. I'll take a Heisman hopeful with two freak injuries over Tommy all day.

I'm really curious what Riley does with him against BYU. In the past, he's gone max protect vs BYU to beat BYU through the air. It worked the last time they played, though a quick score followed by an interception returned for a TD made it look more lopsided.

But Tommy Armstrong is no Cody Vaz or Sean Mannion. I suspect he'll call plays to his strength, get him out of the pocket perhaps on some designed rollouts with a run/pass option. I wonder if we'll see Riley's beloved jet sweep. Not sure who will run that though with DPE out. I'm also wondering how an inexperienced line will protect TA. Moving the pocket will help as I'm sure Bronco will be bringing pressure from all over. I'm looking forward to seeing if TA can pass on BYU because I think BYU will sellout to stop the run first.

I'm really curious what Riley does with him against BYU. In the past, he's gone max protect vs BYU to beat BYU through the air. It worked the last time they played, though a quick score followed by an interception returned for a TD made it look more lopsided.

But Tommy Armstrong is no Cody Vaz or Sean Mannion. I suspect he'll call plays to his strength, get him out of the pocket perhaps on some designed rollouts with a run/pass option. I wonder if we'll see Riley's beloved jet sweep. Not sure who will run that though with DPE out. I'm also wondering how an inexperienced line will protect TA. Moving the pocket will help as I'm sure Bronco will be bringing pressure from all over. I'm looking forward to seeing if TA can pass on BYU because I think BYU will sellout to stop the run first.

We've got plenty of viable candidates for the jet sweep, and our line isn't quite as inexperienced as you might think with a cursory glance. We've got a lot of bodies in there that have gotten meaningful snaps, but not a lot of starts. From what I understand you guys like to blitz often and from exotic packages so I'm guessing we'll see a lot of screen game, draws and quick hitting passes, which have been Tommy's worst attribute as a quarterback in the past but we're hearing reports of a lot of improvement in.

No suspensions. Awesome! Beat their best, so there are no excuses afterward.

As a coach...I like it a lot more when teams I play are missing important players. I always have. Never cared about excuses afterwards if we won.

Where did you see this, LSLHusker?

Earlier in the thread. "Mendenhall won't announce suspensions until after the Nebraska game."

As a coach...I like it a lot more when teams I play are missing important players. I always have. Never cared about excuses afterwards if we won.

Earlier in the thread. "Mendenhall won't announce suspensions until after the Nebraska game."

Think that meant that he will announce who got sat for the game after the game, at least that is how I took it.

Think that meant that he will announce who got sat for the game after the game, at least that is how I took it.

I took it to mean that he's a chickensh#t and may not hand down punishment if it causes them any disadvantage in the game. Apparently rules and behavior take a back seat to competitive advantage at BYU. Wouldn't want the players actually being held accountable for their actions if it might have adverse consequences for the team. At least that's what I'm getting from his noncommittal horsesh#t. Sorry but a brawl like that..... the punishment should not be conditioned on anything.

I took it to mean that he's a chickensh#t and may not hand down punishment if it causes them any disadvantage in the game. Apparently rules and behavior take a back seat to competitive advantage at BYU. Wouldn't want the players actually being held accountable for their actions if it might have adverse consequences for the team. At least that's what I'm getting from his noncommittal horsesh#t. Sorry but a brawl like that..... the punishment should not be conditioned on anything.

Bronco's a lot of things, but chickensh#t isn't one of them. Players are being suspended; we already know some of them. He'll identify which players were suspended after the game.

Err....

Brandon Davies was dismissed from BYU's basketball team after he admitted to having sexual relations in violation of the school's honor code, the Salt Lake Tribune reported Wednesday.

Must have been that un-holy buttstuff.

"We struggled (getting penetration) last year," Rowley said. "We have to be more physical and then we can open holes."

Sorry, couldn't help it. Seriously though:

He said that after months of not being able to really hit the QB, he's anxious to get to the Nebraska game and go all out.

"That's the best feeling in the first game when you get to hit the quarterback," Kaufusi said. "You're sick and tired of patting them on the back and running by."

Daily Herald

Looks like they plan on putting a lot of pressure of TA. Beware of the zone read though, or they will get burned.

BYU was dinged up quite a bit last year. Plus they moved Bronson Kaufusi to OLB last year. It was a disastrous move. Combined with the injuries to the defense, young guys forced into playing time, and a first time DC the defense really suffered.

Bronco took back the defense and the DC was demoted to DB coach. Bronson has been moved back to DE. He's a talent but he's best suited to play DE in 4-3 IMO. So he's still a bit of a square being forced into round hole.

The secondary was pretty bad last year, but they get too much of the blame for the defense. The real issue was a lack of pass rush and the secondary paid the price.

BYU's front 7 is legit. Bronco has always had a stop the run first mentality. That hasn't changed, but there has been an emphasis of getting to the QB especially with those guys whose whose hands are in the dirt.

I think the secondary will be a bit better than last year. There were a few guys who didn't buy in and it exposed the team and scheme which is dependent on assignments.

Still, the defense is relatively young. I'm anxious to see if the secondary is improved and if we can dominate an inexperienced line up front.

As for the zone read, I don't think BYU is too concerned about it. Bronco defends it and the triple option as well as anyone in the country. Besides they see a better read option QB than Tommy Armstrong everyday.

BYU shouldn't be concerned about the zone read, It's probably no big deal anyway. Not saying Taysom Hill is a bad QB, but I would rather have a QB who spent more time on the field than riding the pine with injuries. Maybe this will be the year he makes it through a whole season.

He played every game the season before last. I'll take a Heisman hopeful with two freak injuries over Tommy all day.

Tommy did go 32-51 for 381 yards, 3 TD's and an INT against USC in the bowl game. So it's not like he can't throw the ball.

The OL will probably struggle against the more exotic blitzes, but the running game, especially the QB run game, could also make BYU pay. NU usually has at least a decent run-blocking OL, so I'd expect NU to be able to move the ball on the ground. BYU should definitely start out being aggressive against the run and see if NU has a passing game that can deal some damage.

This is honestly the most uncertain I am about the team will do in 40+ years of being a fan. NU has the pieces to be successful, and even potentially very, very good, but there's just no way to know how everything is coming together.

As already stated, BYU players are suspended for the game, Bronco just stated that those who were suspended wouldn't officially be named until after the game. So, I guess I'm not sure what you're talking about.

There are rumors that BYU players will be suspended for this game for incident(s) that happened before the bowl game. There may also be Honor Code violations that carry suspensions for this game, or for the first half of this game.

So, there will be multiple suspensions, for at least a half and possibly the whole game. But not all of them are from the brawl, and the players who were suspended for the brawl won't be identified as such until after the game.

But those who are going to be suspended for the brawl will serve their suspensions this game.

Clear as mud?

Personally, I think this is an unnecessarily difficult way to do this. It's going to make Bronco's post-game presser full of distraction-type questions.

I'm an alum of both BYU and NU and follow both teams, and I'm not from Utah or Nebraska. Before moving to Nebraska I swore I'd never live in Nebraska, but when my wife and I did, we loved it, and I'd be happy to move back again. Biggest downside to Lincoln is no mountains anywhere close. Anyway, the people we met in Nebraska were some of the best, kindest, most sincere, family oriented, people I've met in my life. Just an awesome community. In many ways Provo is very similar to Lincoln, and in many ways the people are similar and share similar goals.

I think it's been too long since any football has been played, so everyone has resorted to playing the game in a silly Internet thread, where after months of football starvation people are a bit on edge. In my time in Nebraska, most the fans I met would never be condescending to another team ("best fans in America" I heard), and most of the BYU fans I know don't assume the world is out to get them and that anything BYU athletes do is justified by some poor behavior from other teams or fans.

The fight in December was ugly and embarrassing. It's also frustrating that Bronco hasn't shared whether or not there will be any suspensions. I think it's comical that the BYU guys on this thread continue to suggest no one on the BYU side did anything wrong. The BYU fanbase would crucify the University of Utah football program if their team got in a fight and it appeared no one was going to be held accountable. Likewise, it's absurd for "unbiased" Nebraska fans to claim to know exactly what happened (no one does who wasn't on the field) and to take the high road. It's pretty easy to point fingers and be objective when it's not the team you're emotionally and financially invested in. My guess is that if the Huskers were in a fight and the coach determined that some other course of action was appropriate to pay penance (e.g. community outreach, or who knows), Husker fans would defend our coach and program. I don't know what suspensions we'll see Saturday, but historically Bronco has been over-the-top with his insistence on accountability and trying to develop men and not just athletes (almost to a fault), so I think it highly unlikely he just lets something slide without some sort of punishment. Whether anyone outside the program knows about the punishment is a different story.

I love both teams, and I love the communities that support both universities. I'm hoping for a hard fought close game, no injuries, and for crying out loud no stupid fights or cheap shots. I hoping that interactions between BYU and NU fans Saturday leave both fan bases with a positive impression of each other. And I hope that between now and the game the arguing over how each school should run their programs stops. The insults stop. Let's talk football and celebrate the end of a long offseason!

• Fire 6