I know as much about BYU as I do about how the Huskers will look next year. Very little to almost not at all. Got a long ways to go before that kickoff. Maybe I'll have a better idea of how both teams are going to look. I'd say knowing who is healthy, who is starting where, and what type of offense and defense we will have are key ingredients to knowing what to expect for an opening game.

Right now, I give us the nod based on the game being at Memorial. That's all I got.

I will legit not be surprised if we go .500 next year, including an opening-day loss to BYU. Everything is up in the air. We have no idea what Riley is going to be able to do with this team.

BYU is going to come into this game with a huge chip on their shoulders, playing for their suspended teammates, all fired up to beat Nebraska in Lincoln & break that winning streak. They'll be running the same system they've always run, with players recruited to run that system, and they'll have their big-game quarterback.

Meanwhile, we're breaking in a new system, we got nothing to prove against a mid-level team like BYU, and we're going to be trying to figure out how to replace a super-stud RB.

If we win it'll be a testament to our better athletes, or Riley & Co. being damned good coaches, or BYU just having a bad game or bad breaks in the game.

yup, i see us not ready for this game........but hoping for 7-5 season.

I will legit not be surprised if we go .500 next year, including an opening-day loss to BYU. Everything is up in the air. We have no idea what Riley is going to be able to do with this team.

BYU is going to come into this game with a huge chip on their shoulders, playing for their suspended teammates, all fired up to beat Nebraska in Lincoln & break that winning streak. They'll be running the same system they've always run, with players recruited to run that system, and they'll have their big-game quarterback.

Meanwhile, we're breaking in a new system, we got nothing to prove against a mid-level team like BYU, and we're going to be trying to figure out how to replace a super-stud RB.

If we win it'll be a testament to our better athletes, or Riley & Co. being damned good coaches, or BYU just having a bad game or bad breaks in the game.

yup, i see us not ready for this game........but hoping for 7-5 season.

That seems a bit pessimistic.

It may sound odd, but I feel more confident about this game with Riley than I was when the season was ending with Pelini. The secret was out on how to bust Pelini's defense, and with Hill back, they were very well suited to do it.

This is exactly the way I see it. I would see Mark Bo's team dropping this one.

If they clean up the D and put some speed on the field, I think it's close for a half or so before the Huskers start pulling away. I think the O will put up enough points to win.

There is no question we have better athletes, but will the culture change be rolling by then?

Lets see, new offense, unbalanced position alignment, poor tackling, undisciplined O-Line & dough boy syndrome. This is just a few issues and this is supposed to be fixed in 6 months?

As someone that lived through the 2011 Ohio State season, I can honestly say it can happen. The 2011 OSU team vs 2012 team were night and day.

I'm not saying that Nebraska is going to go undefeated but it isn't like their roster is full of bad talent. It is amazing what good coaching can do along with players buying into the system.

Lets see, new offense, unbalanced position alignment, poor tackling, undisciplined O-Line & dough boy syndrome. This is just a few issues and this is supposed to be fixed in 6 months?

As someone that lived through the 2011 Ohio State season, I can honestly say it can happen. The 2011 OSU team vs 2012 team were night and day.

I'm not saying that Nebraska is going to go undefeated but it isn't like their roster is full of bad talent. It is amazing what good coaching can do along with players buying into the system.

Nebraska has a better talent pool based on 5 year recruiting than almost every team on the schedule. Miami would be the only one who has out recruited us over that time period.

Undefeated is unrealistic. But only 7 wins is also unrealistic.

Doom and gloom from some people around here is out of control. Still hangover from Callahan.

I'd give BYU a punchers chance.

With Taysum Hill, they have more than a punchers chance. They were pretty good with him at QB, I'd give the chances at 60%/40% in favor of the Huskers, but we'll see how things progress.

A win would be a massive boost to the season, a loss would be pretty rough. Particularly if Miami jumps on the Huskers and we start the season 2-2. That's worst case scenario.

A loss to BYU in the very first game of the Riley era would create a sh*tstorm of epic purportion...

It would make what happened, after last years Iowa game look like slumber party pillow fight. You'd have the "Bolievers" come out of the woodwork and the trolling would be legendary, and would make the "purge" that happened earlier look like a minor disturbance...

First off to compare a loss to BYU to Iowa State is just silly. BYU is a solid program. The Head Coach Bronco Mendenhall is currently like the 7th best winning record for Division 1 coaches. They finished in the top 25 in 01, 06, 07, 08, 09,11. They beat the sooners and beat down Texas twice. This is a tough game to open the season.

• Fire 2

First off to compare a loss to BYU to Iowa State is just silly. BYU is a solid program. The Head Coach Bronco Mendenhall is currently like the 7th best winning record for Division 1 coaches. They finished in the top 25 in 01, 06, 07, 08, 09,11. They beat the sooners and beat down Texas twice. This is a tough game to open the season.

True enough. What you say is reasonable. But the expectations of Husker fandom are not tempered by reason. A loss to BYU would be a sh*tstorm of epic proportion.

• Fire 1