I hate to break the BYU/usu threads here and I apologize but I have a question about the Huskers. I've read several comments that the DB's are a strength (or THEE strength) of the defense. What would you say the reason behind them being so solid? Do your DB's have good size and speed which allows them to cover both the tall athletic and the small fast receivers? Who in your defensive backfield would you say is the anchor that keeps things running?

Our previous defensive staff, for all their imperfections, were always top notch at coaching up our secondary.

Whether that's individual player coaching or raw inherent talent is unsure, but a big part of it was good scheming. Even in years where our run defense was awful, our pass efficiency defense has been top 1-3 in the country pretty much all of the last 6 years.

The question will be how much of that was scheme vs talent, because we've got a lot of returners, but we're unsure of how our new staff will utilize that. We've got some good guys back there though.

I don't want to sound like I'm disagreeing with you cause I'd hate to get Saunders, Mavric, or the Pony Posse after me, that'd be scary. But, Bo's pass defenses were always highly efficient. Not big in the turnover department or anything else. Thing is, not a lot of defenses commit to stopping the pass the way Bo Pelini's did. To put it very simply, disregarding some of the match zone concepts that were confusing and effective, it's also a bit easier to be highly "efficient" when you commit 7 defenders to stopping the pass on a regular basis. There's a very high percentage of plays where Pelini only rushed the front four defenders. We rarely blitzed.

Just saying, I know people toot their little "I love Bo Pelini horn" when it comes to his pass defenses, but most defenses will be successful with 7 guys dropping into coverage.

Certainly the scheme played a part, so there's no reason to straw man your way into making a point. But we also had a lot of success with DB's on an individual basis. SJB was a great example. We have lots of talent in the secondary right now, and it's a common talking point locally and in the national previews. I look forward to seeing how superior coaching and a scheme that gets more pressure on the QB will help them.

I literally said "the match zone concepts were confusing and effective" against opposing QB's, but that committing 7 defenders to stop the pass on a regular basis was definitely a contributing factor to our efficiency.

I don't think you know what straw man means, go google it and please come back and tell me what the hell is straw man about it?

We do have tons of talent in the secondary right now. We've been very rich with talent there for quite some time now. That's a huge plus.

Now my point is, that maybe instead of rushing four and dropping seven into coverage, maybe this staff trusts that talent in a bit more aggressive coverages, leave them on an island a bit more. In doing so, you free up a defender or two more to rush the passer. The result can be many more turnovers, which I also stated was not always something Pelini's defenses created a lot of.

Pressure the QB, make him make quick decisions, and let your defensive backs make plays. It's not straw man stuff saunders, it's football.

Your original post in which you call out certain posters for saying something that doesn't get said is literally a straw man.

I think your enfatuation with calling people Pelini lovers who you disagree with masks an uneasiness you have with the new staff. It's a defense mechanism, and it's rather old. Remember your post about "not putting words in people's mouths?" Yeah...

Back to football. We'll see a slight drop in pass efficiency, but we have a good secondary to offset scheme changes, and the defense as a whole will be better. I'm thinking 10 wins this year based on this alone.

Back to football. We'll see a slight drop in pass efficiency, but we have a good secondary to offset scheme changes, and the defense as a whole will be better. I'm thinking 10 wins this year based on this alone.

I would agree with this as well. I think our defense will be more steady and dependable big picture, but the individual elements that we've been great at for a long time we won't be anymore.

It will be a bummer having to say goodbye to Pelini's QB graveyard - that was always a lot of fun, but I'll take more wins.

• Fire 3

Alot of BYU fans have already declared a win against Nebraska on their way to a 4-0 start for the Kewgers this September even against other teams like Boise State and UCLA. On BYU fan sites and the comment sections in the Utah newspapers BYU fans are saying Nebraska will be an easy game for them because of their QB Taysom Hill who they say should win the Heisman Trophy this year.

BYU all the time during the off season and before the season fans start going around saying their team is 100% for sure going to go undefeated and win a bunch of awards and stuff. I saw some Nebraska fans posting on BYU sites wondering why BYU fans think it will be such an easy game for the Kewgers and they get jumped on fast.

Really? You are on this board too? For someone that hates BYU so much you spend a lot of time obsessing over them. I could careless for the Aggies and because I don't care for them, I don't go on their message boards let alone their opponents message boards. You need to find yourself a woman, at this point "attractive" shouldn't even be a requirement.

He's always way ahead of BYU fans in visiting out opponents boards. He's in his rare form too. Complaining that we say things about USU fans and mullets and stuff. This is classic AggieAndee. He should just copy and paste from one board to the next.

Alot of BYU fans have already declared a win against Nebraska on their way to a 4-0 start for the Kewgers this September even against other teams like Boise State and UCLA. On BYU fan sites and the comment sections in the Utah newspapers BYU fans are saying Nebraska will be an easy game for them because of their QB Taysom Hill who they say should win the Heisman Trophy this year.

Vegas tends to disagree.

I don't know of its been mentioned in all 15 pages yet but BYU +6 (-105) Nebraska -6 (-115). Nice to see we're getting some love somewhere

Vegas tends to disagree.

I don't know of its been mentioned in all 15 pages yet but BYU +6 (-105) Nebraska -6 (-115). Nice to see we're getting some love somewhere

Yeah, those Mormons are known for rockin' Vegas

I'm looking forward to Greg's Drive-in burgers (a high school favorite), Valentino's pizza, Runza, and red hot dogs.

GREAT SCOTT I HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT GREG'S!!!

Back in the day we used to walk across Bethany Park for Greg's. They had fountain Squirt, one of the only places in town that had that. I cannot believe I forgot about Greg's!

Am definitely going there this week.

BYU is going to get pounded in Lincoln.

I'm reasonably certain Texas thought the same when they visited Provo in 2013.

And when BYU visited Austin in 2014. The 'revenge' factor, and all that.

Texas 2013 & 2014 was at least as talented as 2015 Nebraska.

Well this report on the BYU scrimmage doesn't seem positive for them. A top LB, who I think BYU fans mentioned was a talented pass rusher earlier in this thread, and their starting stud Center seem to be suspended. Not sure they have the depth to hold up with 6-7 suspensions as this article suggests.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2844058-155/byu-football-scrimmage-provided-more-suspension

1. So what

2. So what

3. False.

Well this report on the BYU scrimmage doesn't seem positive for them. A top LB, who I think BYU fans mentioned was a talented pass rusher earlier in this thread, and their starting stud Center seem to be suspended. Not sure they have the depth to hold up with 6-7 suspensions as this article suggests.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2844058-155/byu-football-scrimmage-provided-more-suspension

Some of our scrimmage reports don't seem too good for us, either. And with a starter suspended from our defense, we won't be playing at full strength.

The world expects BYU to suspend several players, and their CB is almost a sure lock to be suspended, but I'm skeptical about how many suspensions they'll have, and the duration. I've seen videos posted by BYU fans purporting to show Memphis players "starting it" and "being the aggressor" and the more I see that, combined with Bronco's lack of transparency on these specific suspensions, make me very suspicious that they won't suspend nearly as many players as Memphis suspended, and I also suspect that many of them will only be suspended for a half.

Last week Mendenhall announced their starting OLB, Sione Takitaki, will be suspended for an off-season incident unrelated to the brawl. Clearly he's not above announcing suspensions, so why not announce the brawl suspensions? Why announce Takitaki's suspension if doing so puts you at a disadvantage?

It's fishy. I don't like it.

From Jon Nayatawa's 1pm chat:

BYU definitely has the attention of the Huskers. Daniel Davie told us today that he's been watching game film of the BYU receivers since early July

Good. Watched the last two BYU/Texas games here in the past week, and if we don't bring our 'A' game, they'll beat us. They'll whoop us if we half-ass it.