DE Noah Fant [Iowa - Signed LOI]

“They said if I decided to play tight end, that I could play tight end,” Fant said. “It’s kind of up to me. Right now, I like offense a lot, but I like defense. Like I said before, I’m looking at the school before anything — just the team setting, how everybody meshes together. That’s mainly what I’m looking and more towards my commitment, I’ll look at what position I’m going to play.”

If that's his criteria, no amount of recruiting would change anything. He looked at the Iowegians and he looked at Nebraska, and he (apparently) decided their team setting was better than ours.

If he wants to hitch his horse to Ferentz' wagon, more power to him, and all the luck in the world. I have a hard time believing any rational person would choose Iowa's situation over Nebraska's, but maybe not everyone is rational.

• Fire 1

Mike Riley is known as a good judge of talent, finding diamonds in the rough, all that jazz. Riley latched on to Pat O'Brien before anyone had ever heard of him, now he's a four-star prospect and his stock is rising.

If Riley didn't show as much interest in this guy, maybe there's a reason for that.

They said if I decided to play tight end, that I could play tight end, Fant said. Its kind of up to me. Right now, I like offense a lot, but I like defense. Like I said before, Im looking at the school before anything just the team setting, how everybody meshes together. Thats mainly what Im looking and more towards my commitment, Ill look at what position Im going to play.

If that's his criteria, no amount of recruiting would change anything. He looked at the Iowegians and he looked at Nebraska, and he (apparently) decided their team setting was better than ours.

If he wants to hitch his horse to Ferentz' wagon, more power to him, and all the luck in the world. I have a hard time believing any rational person would choose Iowa's situation over Nebraska's, but maybe not everyone is rational.

Especially given the rumored locker room issues last year...

“They said if I decided to play tight end, that I could play tight end,” Fant said. “It’s kind of up to me. Right now, I like offense a lot, but I like defense. Like I said before, I’m looking at the school before anything — just the team setting, how everybody meshes together. That’s mainly what I’m looking and more towards my commitment, I’ll look at what position I’m going to play.”

This is possible. I'm sure it's not his only criteria. And since it's un-knowable, I hope we're not letting that make our decision on how hard to recruit someone.

That's a point I'm actually very surprised at. Here, unless there is total failure, Riley is pretty much guaranteed to be his coach his entire career. At Iowa, unless there is a huge turnaround, I don't think Ferentz will be there two years from now. That means totally different staff and position coach. Possibly totally different scheme and view of what type of talent matches that scheme. PLUS...having to go through all the drama of a coaching change.

That's a point I'm actually very surprised at. Here, unless there is total failure, Riley is pretty much guaranteed to be his coach his entire career. At Iowa, unless there is a huge turnaround, I don't think Ferentz will be there two years from now. That means totally different staff and position coach. Possibly totally different scheme and view of what type of talent matches that scheme. PLUS...having to go through all the drama of a coaching change.
Maybe he wants to play for Bielema without going down south.

BOOOOOM!!!!!!!