DE Noah Fant [Iowa - Signed LOI]

It has been discussed quite a bit on Sharp and Benning. DB appears to be close with the family and has intimated multiple times, after Noah came on their show to make his initial announcement, that during his early recruitment, the family was unhappy with the level of contact as well as the message. Things improved when Riley and the TE GA took over recruitment of Noah, but the damage was done. If you want to listen, there was a show last week where he went into some more detail to say that if it was up to Noah only, Nebraska might have a shot, but the parents need to be "recruited" even more right now.

Don't you guys see that as a problem? Parents need to allow their kids to be the ones recruited first and foremost. Sorry Mom, Sorry Dad, It's not about you! I get that you have a part to play in this, but it's about swallowing your pride and letting your child do what is best for them. I hate to say it, but it's true, sending him to Iowa isn't what is best. I can barely stomach it to cross the border into that pit.

That's all great in theory. My kids have been recruited pretty heavily not for athletics but academically. I go on every college visit. Ultimately, I leave it up to them. But, I will point out things they need to think about and make sure they are making the choice for the right reasons.

I can't imagine if my kid was top athlete and just throwing him/her to the dogs and say.....You're on your own. Make up your own mind.

A good parent/roll model in this process is not a bad thing for the kid.

I say all of that knowing some parents don't handle it very well and push their kids to what they want instead of the kids.....which, I am not advocating.

Great post...

Hughes screwed the pooch early with this one, particularly with his parents. I would say let this one go. TE is not a major need right now anyway. What we need is this staff to focus on the two lines.

No he didn't. No one has any inside information on his recruiting process at all. He's a kid who enjoys the recruiting process and most likely wanted Nebraska to want him more. Stop spreading FUD.

What in the world? If you are saying there is no inside information known, then how can you state indefinitely that Hughes did not screw up? This is so overtly hypocritical, it is hard to believe you meant it. I am not trying to pass this off as inside information no one else knows about. It was shared on a public radio show by a host that is friends with the family and heard the details of Noah's recruitment throughout the process.

:facepalm:

It has been discussed quite a bit on Sharp and Benning. DB appears to be close with the family and has intimated multiple times, after Noah came on their show to make his initial announcement, that during his early recruitment, the family was unhappy with the level of contact as well as the message. Things improved when Riley and the TE GA took over recruitment of Noah, but the damage was done. If you want to listen, there was a show last week where he went into some more detail to say that if it was up to Noah only, Nebraska might have a shot, but the parents need to be "recruited" even more right now.

Damage was done? Are you kidding? If it is his dream to play for Nebraska...no amount of 'damage done' would prevent him from strapping on the N. They need to get over their little butthurt feelings on this one and play ball for the Huskers...sorry but I wouldn't let a bad initial experience with one GA and a coach on a new staff while they were initially organizing get in the way of me playing for Riley.

No offense, but I'm not seeing this being the coaches fault. I see this a major case of butthurt-itis.

Noah has options. If his "dream school", which I do not know if he ever called Nebraska that, turns out to not meet his expectations in reality, then no harm done. It is not like TE is such a critical position or that Noah, no offense, is a once in a generation talent that will guarantee wins. So, why are we so obsessed? Bubak came and went to Arizona with hardly a peep by everyone here, so don't give me, "We have to lock down our borders". Honestly, the drama is too much.

:facepalm::facepalm:

Some kids just don't want to go here....nothing the coaches can do in those cases. But hey, let's continue to blame the coaches...it gives us even more to complain about and fits a good narrative we've been rehashing for years with regards to recruiting.

An anti-Riley conspiracy? That is what you are going with? Just listen to the Sharp and Benning podcast. If you are going to continue to post on this topic, I would hope you actually engage in debate. This is an agenda free zone.

By the way, since I brought up Bubak, losing him was more a product of him wanting to leave Lincoln for college than anything the coaching staff did. Credit and blame goes to them when they deserve it.

Hughes screwed the pooch early with this one, particularly with his parents. I would say let this one go. TE is not a major need right now anyway. What we need is this staff to focus on the two lines.

No he didn't. No one has any inside information on his recruiting process at all. He's a kid who enjoys the recruiting process and most likely wanted Nebraska to want him more. Stop spreading FUD.

What in the world? If you are saying there is no inside information known, then how can you state indefinitely that Hughes did not screw up? This is so overtly hypocritical, it is hard to believe you meant it. I am not trying to pass this off as inside information no one else knows about. It was shared on a public radio show by a host that is friends with the family and heard the details of Noah's recruitment throughout the process.

Damage was done? Are you kidding? If it is his dream to play for Nebraska...no amount of 'damage done' would prevent him from strapping on the N. They need to get over their little butthurt feelings on this one and play ball for the Huskers...sorry but I wouldn't let a bad initial experience with one GA and a coach on a new staff while they were initially organizing get in the way of me playing for Riley.

No offense, but I'm not seeing this being the coaches fault. I see this a major case of butthurt-itis.

Noah has options. If his "dream school", which I do not know if he ever called Nebraska that, turns out to not meet his expectations in reality, then no harm done. It is not like TE is such a critical position or that Noah, no offense, is a once in a generation talent that will guarantee wins. So, why are we so obsessed? Bubak came and went to Arizona with hardly a peep by everyone here, so don't give me, "We have to lock down our borders". Honestly, the drama is too much.

Some kids just don't want to go here....nothing the coaches can do in those cases. But hey, let's continue to blame the coaches...it gives us even more to complain about and fits a good narrative we've been rehashing for years with regards to recruiting.

An anti-Riley conspiracy? That is what you are going with? Just listen to the Sharp and Benning podcast. If you are going to continue to post on this topic, I would hope you actually engage in debate. This is an agenda free zone.

By the way, since I brought up Bubak, losing him was more a product of him wanting to leave Lincoln for college than anything the coaching staff did. Credit and blame goes to them when they deserve it.

BlitzFirst: You don't need to take so much offense when some people question certain results from the coaching staff. Kind of noticed you tend to jump on anyone who isn't making only positive comments/thoughts. Thanks_Tom has been a great poster for quite awhile and is usually fair on his assessments, credit/concern when due. None of us know enough details to know exactly what happened with Fant. Thanks_Tom stated his opinion and why/where he heard it, no need to bust him and start calling the family "butthurt".

BlitzFirst: You don't need to take so much offense when some people question certain results from the coaching staff. Kind of noticed you tend to jump on anyone who isn't making only positive comments/thoughts. Thanks_Tom has been a great poster for quite awhile and is usually fair on his assessments, credit/concern when due. None of us know enough details to know exactly what happened with Fant. Thanks_Tom stated his opinion and why/where he heard it, no need to bust him and start calling the family "butthurt".

Not taking offense...just stating the obvious that there are too many unknowns on both sides (coaches and recruits).

Speaking in absolutes about something unknown is ignorant.

I stated my opinion as well...and I'm just as entitled as anyone else is to have one. I didn't attack anyone personally in this forum...so didn't "bust" anyone.

I guess with both of us understanding the unknowns if the situation you're statement of, "They need to get over their little butthurt feelings on this one and play ball for the Huskers..." seems extremely disrespectful.

Nate Clouse said today that Fant wouldn't be a Nebraska commit even if Fant wanted to join the class, the door has been closed.

Allowing for extenuating circumstances, this would be a poor choice.

The Iowa coaches aren't really happy about him visiting Minnesota this weekend. They may even been looking around as if he wasn't committed.

The best athlete in the state at a position of need would seem to be someone we pursue right up to NSD.

Nate Clouse said today that Fant wouldn't be a Nebraska commit even if Fant wanted to join the class, the door has been closed.

Allowing for extenuating circumstances, this would be a poor choice.

The Iowa coaches aren't really happy about him visiting Minnesota this weekend. They may even been looking around as if he wasn't committed.

The best athlete in the state at a position of need would seem to be someone we pursue right up to NSD.

Maybe it's the extenuating circumstances, or maybe the staff is confident the final commits they anticipate hit the overal number they're planning to take?

an opinion like that from a pretty good recruiting media member makes you think. It appears there is something deeper beyond the surface, and only one side has a voice.

What did hughes do to screw the pooch with the Fant family? did they go into details?

Sharp and Benning just finished talking to Fant on the radio. Fant basically said if NU would have started recruiting him hard after the coaching change instead of waiting things would be different and he may be coming to NU. He said he likes NU and coach Riley, but basically they started recruiting him hard too late. Benning of coarse is defending him right now.

He would be nice to get he is a great athlete, but in the end he is still a project that may be great or may never really do anything in college.

• Fire 2

Sharp and Benning just finished talking to Fant on the radio. Fant basically said if NU would have started recruiting him hard after the coaching change instead of waiting things would be different and he may be coming to NU. He said he likes NU and coach Riley, but basically they started recruiting him hard too late. Benning of coarse is defending him right now.

He would be nice to get he is a great athlete, but in the end he is still a project that may be great or may never really do anything in college.

See, I'm in the camp where that is a balogna reason.

Sure, it's his recruitment and he can do it however he likes, but that's a bunch of bologna and makes him sound very self centered.

• Fire 4

Sure, it's his recruitment and he can do it however he likes, but that's a bunch of bologna and makes him sound very self centered.

Totally agree...check the ego Noah

Totally agree...check the ego Noah

just sounds high maintenance