Spring Quarterback Competition

this was just one game where Bo sh#t the bed........exit, stage left for Bodacious!

That's the game that sealed the deal with me on getting rid of him.

It took me a long time to get to that point due to me HATING coaching changes. One of the reasons is what this thread is about. Coaching changes means changes in scheme and systems (more times than not). This means key players that could be good if coached well in the current system all of a sudden become liabilities to the system only because they are the wrong type of player for the new system.

I honestly don't care if we run a power run/option attack, spread attack, or a pro style attack. I have my preferences on what I like to watch the most but, truth be told, there have been programs win championships in all three of those systems and I firmly believe all three can be successful now with the right coaches.

The problem we have had is that we didn't have experts in teaching and coaching the system we were trying to run. I firmly believe we had talent to do better than we did. But, it is clear to me that certain members of the coaching staff were holding the program back (Mainly the HC that was a nutcase).

So....now we have a coaching change. (For which I am extremely excited about.) Fans and administrators think the old system stinks so we must have drastic change. Bring in a new thought process. This has happened when Solich was replaced. It happened when Callyclown was replaced. Now it's happened when Bo has been replaced.

So...we potentially are going to go through a couple years of adjustment (I'm not convinced 100% that we will but it's possible) and if so, we will have a certain amount of the fan base clamoring for coaches to be fired because they haven't won anything in their first 2-3 years. If they would have their way we would then have yet another coaching change with a complete change in philosophy and scheme and once again we will end up with players not matching the scheme.

It's a vicious circle. Heck, we already have fans on here that flat out claim if this staff doesn't win at least 10 games next year they are going to start sharpening their pitchforks to run them out of town. AFTER THEIR FIRST YEAR!!!! It's just asinine.

Meanwhile, programs that are successful, try to match the coach to the system they are running and the continuity of success more times than not continues. Oregon is a perfect example of that. The system works. Go find an expert in running it and that can continue running it.

• Fire 2

this was just one game where Bo sh#t the bed........exit, stage left for Bodacious!

It took me a long time to get to that point due to me HATING coaching changes. One of the reasons is what this thread is about. Coaching changes means changes in scheme and systems (more times than not). This means key players that could be good if coached well in the current system all of a sudden become liabilities to the system only because they are the wrong type of player for the new system.

I honestly don't care if we run a power run/option attack, spread attack, or a pro style attack. I have my preferences on what I like to watch the most but, truth be told, there have been programs win championships in all three of those systems and I firmly believe all three can be successful now with the right coaches.

The problem we have had is that we didn't have experts in teaching and coaching the system we were trying to run. I firmly believe we had talent to do better than we did. But, it is clear to me that certain members of the coaching staff were holding the program back (Mainly the HC that was a nutcase).

So....now we have a coaching change. (For which I am extremely excited about.) Fans and administrators think the old system stinks so we must have drastic change. Bring in a new thought process. This has happened when Solich was replaced. It happened when Callyclown was replaced. Now it's happened when Bo has been replaced.

So...we potentially are going to go through a couple years of adjustment (I'm not convinced 100% that we will but it's possible) and if so, we will have a certain amount of the fan base clamoring for coaches to be fired because they haven't won anything in their first 2-3 years. If they would have their way we would then have yet another coaching change with a complete change in philosophy and scheme and once again we will end up with players not matching the scheme.

It's a vicious circle. Heck, we already have fans on here that flat out claim if this staff doesn't win at least 10 games next year they are going to start sharpening their pitchforks to run them out of town. AFTER THEIR FIRST YEAR!!!! It's just asinine.

Meanwhile, programs that are successful, try to match the coach to the system they are running and the continuity of success more times than not continues. Oregon is a perfect example of that. The system works. Go find an expert in running it and that can continue running it.

well said, it would be foolish to expect more than 8-9 wins this year, a whole new system, without the right guys to run it, is being installed..........get real people, try something besides koolaid!

well said, it would be foolish to expect more than 8-9 wins this year, a whole new system, without the right guys to run it, is being installed..........get real people, try something besides koolaid!

I don't have a problem with koolaid. Heck. Get excited for the season and the possibilities is something new. Get pumped up to see various players on the field because we do have some very talented players that won't be here long. Enjoy it.

On the flip side. Don't sit there with your arms crossed like a pouty two year old if there are a few bumps in the road.

Enjoy the process.

• Fire 1

I think we need to hold our expectations. We always expect too much, that is what fans do. We need to give the kids and the coaching staff a chance, both have to learn each other. who knows it could be a perfect fit. It has happened in the past. New coach, new ideas, boom.

I am excited about the new staff, as I have said, I followed Coach Riley a little because of my ties to a SC grad that literally dreaded playing them. He hated the OSU game, because he never knew what to expect, other than a good game.

We are not the most talented team in the conference, and that talent may or may not fit what we plan to do this year. It has to gel. Coach Riley seems like the kind of guy that can get a lot out of his players. He has more talent walking the sidelnes than he ever has in his career.

I can live with 8-9 wins the first year, not wanting that, but I expected it a couple of season's with the past staff. Give it time, Rome was not built in a day thought here.

Keep smiling, being as positive as possible. See where the cards fall.

I think that the "fair competition" part translates very clearly to "We need to find our QB and we have not found him yet"

I was thinking something similar. My gut is that they don't have full confidence in TA. If they did we would hear it often, even if it was subtle. Pretty bold of Riley to say he wants a rotation of quarterbacks the rest of spring. But I like it. If anything, they got to find someone confident & capable enough to step up in case something happens to TA. Or if TA flat out sucks early on lol.

Hm, I thought they have been pretty strong about Tommy's hold on the job as an incumbent (but allowing that the battle isn't over). Lately, he's just been out. I don't think I could read more into it than that.

I agree that it is Tommy's job today. And I might be reading into it. But for the most part I take Riley's comments at face value. He's been honest so far. He's a QB whisperer. More reps for the other QBs the rest of the way is what he said. I don't want there to be a QB problem, but I cannot rule it out completely at this early stage. So we will see what happens. The spot is open for the taking though.