LJS: "React" is the word on D"

zoogs

“Our philosophy defensively is to teach the foundation well and not have too much stuff,” Riley said. “Guys need to know how to play within a scheme first — the repetition of just playing and adjusting and making plays, playing and adjusting, then making plays. The ideal game, if you can be balanced enough and play well enough, is to have one call defensively and the kids know so much about how to play it that they’re going to execute. That’s not what we’re going to do — nobody does that — but that’d be great as a coach.”

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/react-attack-banker-s-husker-defense-aims-to-cash-in/article_0dd8e96c-4a4d-5984-b984-9417f8f7afff.html?mode=jqm

HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!

• Fire 1

I'm with you there, true. I'm all about simplified, attacking defensive schemes. I think being able to disguise what you're doing is one of the most important things.

The thing I worry about with Banker is staying with base personnel too much. It's great to be able to do if you have exceptional talent at linebacker, but I don't think we do. I think it's one of the things that got Cosgrove in trouble.

On the other hand, I think it will help prevent us from getting shredded on the ground by Wisconsin. Probably a good philosophy for this conference.

I'm with you there, true. I'm all about simplified, attacking defensive schemes. I think being able to disguise what you're doing is one of the most important things.

The thing I worry about with Banker is staying with base personnel too much. It's great to be able to do if you have exceptional talent at linebacker, but I don't think we do. I think it's one of the things that got Cosgrove in trouble.

I know what you are saying but I see it as a positive (more base). Linebackers are hitters and tacklers. Corners aren't wired to do that as much. They are skinnier and built differently. It's also easier for the secondary to make a half-try tackle attempt against a back running with steam coming at you or in space. If you have to do it a lot in a game I think the secondary gets mentally tired of it. Let the big boy linebackers make the hits on the RBs and TEs in coverage. The corners can be a step behind to help swarm. Instead of seeing an offense sustain long drives against our defense, gashing them with runs that keep drives going, it will be better to cut it in half and get the D off the field more often.

If a team is going to throw a lot then you have quality nickel packages. In the B1G teams are more run heavy so that shouldn't be a big fear.

I know what you are saying but I see it as a positive (more base). Linebackers are hitters and tacklers. Corners aren't wired to do that as much. They are skinnier and built differently. It's also easier for the secondary to make a half-try tackle attempt against a back running with steam coming at you or in space. If you have to do it a lot in a game I think the secondary gets mentally tired of it. Let the big boy linebackers make the hits on the RBs and TEs in coverage. The corners can be a step behind to help swarm. Instead of seeing an offense sustain long drives against our defense, gashing them with runs that keep drives going, it will be better to cut it in half and get the D off the field more often.

If a team is going to throw a lot then you have quality nickel packages. In the B1G teams are more run heavy so that shouldn't be a big fear.

I thought of this too, and edited my post. Good point.

I thought of this too, and editeD

I'm with all of you on this but I hope the LB's can run because if not our D will be exposed quickly

“Our philosophy defensively is to teach the foundation well and not have too much stuff,” Riley said. “Guys need to know how to play within a scheme first — the repetition of just playing and adjusting and making plays, playing and adjusting, then making plays. The ideal game, if you can be balanced enough and play well enough, is to have one call defensively and the kids know so much about how to play it that they’re going to execute. That’s not what we’re going to do — nobody does that — but that’d be great as a coach.”

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/react-attack-banker-s-husker-defense-aims-to-cash-in/article_0dd8e96c-4a4d-5984-b984-9417f8f7afff.html?mode=jqm

HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!

Makes me think of the 1992 Colorado game when players and coaches said the crowd was so loud all they could was stay in base defense all night long. And it worked anyway.

“Our philosophy defensively is to teach the foundation well and not have too much stuff,” Riley said. “Guys need to know how to play within a scheme first — the repetition of just playing and adjusting and making plays, playing and adjusting, then making plays. The ideal game, if you can be balanced enough and play well enough, is to have one call defensively and the kids know so much about how to play it that they’re going to execute. That’s not what we’re going to do — nobody does that — but that’d be great as a coach.”http://www.omaha.com/huskers/react-attack-banker-s-husker-defense-aims-to-cash-in/article_0dd8e96c-4a4d-5984-b984-9417f8f7afff.html?mode=jqm

HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH!

Makes me think of the 1992 Colorado game when players and coaches said the crowd was so loud all they could was stay in base defense all night long. And it worked anyway.

You ever listen to good ol' Charlie McBride when he talked about his defensive philosophy? What am I saying...of course you have.

I wish I could find the audio or the video but his philosophy was exactly the same. Maybe a bit more aggressive and he stacked the line many times. A whole different era of football and entirely different opposing offenses, but McBride literally said they rarely changed much. You could see it too. We would maybe blitz a linebacker here, drop a defensive linemen into coverage- then rush the ends, stunt the DT's, bring 3 linebackers right up on the line of scrimmage and blitz all or then blitz none. Same formations all day long, just little wrinkles. The guys just knew where to be, more importantly what to watch. They had been taught and watched enough video that they knew where their eyes needed to be and they flowed with the play. Gang tackling all over the place and play makers making plays.

Now it's a tall order to ever return to those days. Won't happen. But to watch an aggressive defense get after it like that again is my dream. Fans will have to understand, this defense can result in some possible big plays being allowed, maybe some ugly stuff sometimes- but if you want to see tackles for losses, pick sixes, interceptions, nasty hits, gang tackling, sacks and playmakers making plays- then I think we're on the path.

Good to hear. Can't wait to watch it.

Of course, the key will be the Cornerbacks. Stop the run, protect the middle of the field, put pressure on the QB to make quick decisions, and trust your CB's on the outside.

If the CB's make a mistake it can be ugly, but more times than not, you're forcing the QB to make a really tough throw with pressure in his face. Not many QB's can do this consistently, and especially not many that we will be facing.

Cannot wait to see what this defense does against Wisconsin.

A lot of what Riley has done in the past on offense is similar to what Wiscy does. I don't think he, Banker, and the boys are going to be completely baffled by it like Bo & Co.

NOBODY could be that baffled. 408 yards allowed to one guy in only three quarters of football.......damn I wish I could just erase that one from the memory banks.

The worst defenses I've ever watched in my life were all coached by Bo Pelini. "The Guru"

And most important True. Ole Charlie put everything towards stopping the run first and foremost. Even against the airraids Florida and Florida St.

Stopping the run, or in the case of the "Air Raid" offenses, pressuring the QB.

Of course, we did get burned by it a few times. So it goes when you play that style of defense. Thankfully, we had an offense that could answer.