Did the racist Sooner student deserve to get expelled?

Boomer Sooner Friggin' Hillbillies  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Based on the letter, my guess is that Oklahoma has a code of conduct that prohibits acts that result in a "hostile educational environment for others". If that's the case, then the speech is no longer constitutionally protected. By applying for admission, the kid consented to be governed by that code - in essence, he signed away his constitutionally protected free speech rights to the extent they would cause a "hostile educational environment for others".

Again, I'm making an assumption based on the letter, but if that assumption is correct - that there is a code of conduct to which the former student agreed through his application and enrollment - then he has no case. He voluntarily agreed to the conditions of behavior.

• Fire 1

Related story.

The 'Other' Parker Rice: How The OU Scandal Trapped A Student With The Same Name

This story is not about that Parker Rice -- the University of Oklahoma student from Dallas who was expelled this week after leading racist chants in a notorious fraternity video.

This story is about the other Parker Rice -- the one who attends OU’s archrival, Oklahoma State, and grew up just a few miles from the OU campus. The one who's also getting vilified on social media.

On Monday morning, his roommate woke him up and told him to check his phone. There were 500 comments on his Instagram account, 50 private messages on Facebook and a ridiculous number of calls from friends, family, The Washington Post, Inside Edition and local media in Oklahoma.

The_other_Parker_Rice.jpg

I don't feel one bit sorry for these kids. What boggles my mind is their thought of going to court to get back into OU.

If this were me I would be so embarrassed that I would apologies out my head down shut up and simply look for a different school.

But, then again, I wouldn't be caught doing something like this.

Related story.

The 'Other' Parker Rice: How The OU Scandal Trapped A Student With The Same Name

This story is not about that Parker Rice -- the University of Oklahoma student from Dallas who was expelled this week after leading racist chants in a notorious fraternity video.

This story is about the other Parker Rice -- the one who attends OU’s archrival, Oklahoma State, and grew up just a few miles from the OU campus. The one who's also getting vilified on social media.

On Monday morning, his roommate woke him up and told him to check his phone. There were 500 comments on his Instagram account, 50 private messages on Facebook and a ridiculous number of calls from friends, family, The Washington Post, Inside Edition and local media in Oklahoma.

The_other_Parker_Rice.jpg

Would have been more ironic if theOSU kid was black

Based on the letter, my guess is that Oklahoma has a code of conduct that prohibits acts that result in a "hostile educational environment for others". If that's the case, then the speech is no longer constitutionally protected. By applying for admission, the kid consented to be governed by that code - in essence, he signed away his constitutionally protected free speech rights to the extent they would cause a "hostile educational environment for others".

Again, I'm making an assumption based on the letter, but if that assumption is correct - that there is a code of conduct to which the former student agreed through his application and enrollment - then he has no case. He voluntarily agreed to the conditions of behavior.

Thus AR Husker Fan hath spoken, so it shall be.

Lock the thread

Related story.

Given that his name is "Parker" I'm sure he's used to getting beat up and picked on. LOL

Thus AR Husker Fan hath spoken, so it shall be.

Lock the thread

Yeah, AR Husker Fan weighs in with the definitive answer. Nice! +1 to AR. :lol:

Bringing myself out of my self-imposed sports hibernation to weigh in on this one.

First - from SAE's Frat Laws Doc (http://www.saerecord.net/files/docs/FraternityLaws.pdf)

Mission Statement of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity

The mission of Sigma Alpha Epsilon is to promote the highest standards of friendship, scholarship and service for our members based upon the ideals set forth by our Founders and as specifically enunciated in The True Gentleman.

Principles

1. To develop in our members the skills which will facilitate their making deep and meaningful friendships throughout their lives.

2. To provide our undergraduate members with a physical and organizational environment conducive to their pursuit of academic excellence.

3. To help our members better understand and experience diversity and change and to enhance their respect for individuality and personal integrity.

4. To foster personal development of our members including leadership, scholarship, citizenship, social and moral responsibility.

5. To develop in our members a sense of duty for individual and group involvement in social interactions, service and community outreach.

6. To provide our members with guidance, support and standards based upon the ideals embodied in our Ritual.

7. To develop, maintain, and enforce standards and expectations for the conduct of our members within and outside of the Fraternity.

8. To provide our members with life-long fraternal experiences that are productive, rewarding and enjoyable.

Second - Student code of conduct from the University of Oklahoma, Norman (page 2: http://www.ou.edu/content/dam/studentlife/documents/AllCampusStudentCode.pdf)

Direct Administrative Action

In collaboration with the appropriate University official, the UVPSA or other appropriate administrative official vested with such authority, may immediately take Direct Administrative Action, which he/she deems necessary for the welfare or safety of the University Community; to maintain order on the campus and preserve the orderly functioning of the University; to stop or prevent interference in any manner with the public or private rights of others on University premises; to stop or prevent actions that threaten the health or safety of any person; or stop or prevent actions that destroy or damage property of the University, its students, faculty, staff, or guests.

Also, a few pages down on the same document:

VI. Student Responsibilities

Enrollment in the University creates special obligations beyond those attendant upon membership in general society. In addition to the requirement of compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, the student assumes the obligation to comply with all applicable University and College regulations.

It is the responsibility of all students who are potential parties or witnesses to an alleged violation of the Code to participate in the conduct process. Students have a duty to cooperate and discuss the incident with appropriate University officials, adhere to stated deadlines, attend scheduled meetings, provide documentation as requested and participate in all proceedings. Failure to meet these duties may result in a decision being made without the benefit of the students participation, or may result in a student being charged with failing to comply with the direction of a University official.

Prohibited Conduct

These definitions include, but are not limited to, the following:

Very...first...one on the list?

1. Abusive conduct: Unwelcome conduct that is sufficiently severe and pervasive that it alters the

conditions of education or employment and creates an environment that a reasonable person would

find intimidating, harassing or humiliating. These circumstances could include the frequency of the

conduct, its severity, and whether it is threatening or humiliating. This includes physically abusing

a person or holding a person against his or her will. Simple teasing, offhanded comments and

isolated incidents (unless extremely serious) will not amount to abusive conduct.

Funny thing is, the one kid's response. He blamed the alcohol (of course, he's a freshman on a college campus - of COURSE there is alcohol involved, tee hee hee) for what he did. But, number TWO on their list:

2. Alcohol violations: Possessing, using, providing, manufacturing, distributing, or selling alcoholic

beverages on or off campus in violation of law or University policies

Thanks for playing, Mr. Rice.