The problem with this country is ... (fill in the blank)

In all seriousness, I think the backlash is coming from people like Fox News, who are out to make some sort of war on Christmas into a news story. It's good for business. No one is telling you not to say Merry Christmas (or if they are, they are a very small minority). What is happening, is businesses and public sector agencies are trying to be inclusive and are using the phrase happy holidays to hit all the season's participants. This pisses off Fox News, because JESUS AND 'MURICA, so they are making something up about people being forced to say happy holidays. But that just isn't the case. People are choosing to say Happy Holidays and they want people to be forced to say Merry Christmas.

A teacher in Omaha told me that they were not allowed to say "Merry Christmas" to students, even to reply to a student who wished her a Merry Christmas

In all seriousness, I think the backlash is coming from people like Fox News, who are out to make some sort of war on Christmas into a news story. It's good for business. No one is telling you not to say Merry Christmas (or if they are, they are a very small minority). What is happening, is businesses and public sector agencies are trying to be inclusive and are using the phrase happy holidays to hit all the season's participants. This pisses off Fox News, because JESUS AND 'MURICA, so they are making something up about people being forced to say happy holidays. But that just isn't the case. People are choosing to say Happy Holidays and they want people to be forced to say Merry Christmas.

A teacher in Omaha told me that they were not allowed to say "Merry Christmas" to students, even to reply to a student who wished her a Merry Christmas

Anecdotal evidence. People have been known to embellish.

Voters.

People speak at the voting booth. Republicans shut the government down, costing the government billions, all for what was essentially a publicity stunt and they GAINED seats in the next election. Democrats do the same thing. If politicians compromise on a bill, voters respond negatively. If they stick to their guns and vote on the party line, they're safe in the next election.

Unless voters actually reward politicians for compromising, which they don't, then don't expect any meaningful legislation to pass.

Religion. Though that can be expanded to the planet as a whole. So many issues tie back into it, because so many people ardently adhere to a magical book of one form or another that they cease to be reasonable or objective. And that they so strongly self-identify with being of their religion that they can see nothing else.

Internet, TV, Fear and Advertising

Although those things have some good benefits, it seems so much time is spent on them. And as a society, people tend to imitate what they see, read, & hear.

I kind of think that, although Americans are really great people, and I love America, we've gotten more self centered, and more focused on the stupid things haha

America has so much to offer, it's beautiful, it's fairly wealthy, yet so many are poor, hungry, homeless in our own country.

The whiny PR folks. I'm so tired of this is offensive or that is offensive BS. MERRY F'N CHRISTMAS for Christ sake, not happy holidays.

Then perhaps Christians should remember the true reason for the season and save Merry Christmas for Jesus' birthday, and not the awesome amalgam of Viking, Druid, and Roman holiday celebrations and symbolism that was co-opted for modern day "Christmas"? :dunno

You have yourself a Merry Christmas Victor. Tough cookies if you prefer "holiday season", I say Merry Christmas because I don't really care about Hannakah, Kwanza, or any other mid to late December happenings. And it's a frigging Christmas tree too. Not having any of this holiday tree/bush crap. Deal with it.

I have a holiday tree and send out holiday cards. Deal with it ;)

Touche. That doesn't bother me. I just don't like being told that Merry Christmas isn't politically correct. If I want to convey Merry Christmas to somebody, that's what I'm gonna do. If you prefer to say happy holidays or call your tree some f'd up name like "holiday tree" that's your business ;-)

I work in a call center in Lincoln for a insurance company. We are not allowed to say Merry Christmas, it's happy holidays or nothing. If they say it to us first then we can repeat it back. But apparently we've had to many agents and customers complaining about us saying Merry Christmas. Also one of our coworkers gets offended at everything including having the day off for Christmas, Thanksgiving and July 4th (she wasn't born in the US). When we do anything holiday related. If by accident she is invited she will go on a 20 minute rant about how horrible you were for trying to include her. Because of that even those activities don't happen unless she's gone that day.

The whiny PR folks. I'm so tired of this is offensive or that is offensive BS. MERRY F'N CHRISTMAS for Christ sake, not happy holidays.

Then perhaps Christians should remember the true reason for the season and save Merry Christmas for Jesus' birthday, and not the awesome amalgam of Viking, Druid, and Roman holiday celebrations and symbolism that was co-opted for modern day "Christmas"? :dunno

You have yourself a Merry Christmas Victor. Tough cookies if you prefer "holiday season", I say Merry Christmas because I don't really care about Hannakah, Kwanza, or any other mid to late December happenings. And it's a frigging Christmas tree too. Not having any of this holiday tree/bush crap. Deal with it.

Touche. That doesn't bother me. I just don't like being told that Merry Christmas isn't politically correct. If I want to convey Merry Christmas to somebody, that's what I'm gonna do. If you prefer to say happy holidays or call your tree some f'd up name like "holiday tree" that's your business ;-)

I work in a call center in Lincoln for a insurance company. We are not allowed to say Merry Christmas, it's happy holidays or nothing. If they say it to us first then we can repeat it back. But apparently we've had to many agents and customers complaining about us saying Merry Christmas. Also one of our coworkers gets offended at everything including having the day off for Christmas, Thanksgiving and July 4th (she wasn't born in the US). When we do anything holiday related. If by accident she is invited she will go on a 20 minute rant about how horrible you were for trying to include her. Because of that even those activities don't happen unless she's gone that day.

She seems like a lot of fun at the annual company picnic.

It's money in politics.

This isn't a democracy. Money buys elections, money buys legislation, money buys the passing of legislation. Money helps those with money gain more money. Money helps those with money not lose any of their money. Money buys commercials and "news" that lull the masses into thinking their "side" is good and right and that their opinion and their vote matters.

• Fire 1

Hypocrisy ruins us too.

Ted Cruz was born in Canada

Obama was falsely accused of being born in Kenya, people tried to stop Obama for running for president because he was born in a foreign nation.

Isn't Canada a foreign nation?

thumb_white.png?1370832960

Obligatory. And yes, Canada is a foreign nation.

However, the folks that paid attention in grade school Social Studies know it would not have mattered if Obama is born in Kenya, Cruz was born in Canada, or McCain was born in Panama--as long as least one of their parents were American citizens, then their children are American citizens from birth, which is the important prerequisite here, not *where* they were born, per se.

So guess she works Christmas, Thanksgiving and the 4th of July so everyone else can have those days off. chuckleshuffle