home/garage gyms

One with multiple dumbbells as well as a squat rack, bench etc. Basically a permanent setup. Converting part of my garage this summer and was looking for ideas/pointers on where to purchase such items. Tired of waiting in line at the gym

Elitefts is the place to go for your equipment.

I priced 2 power racks, 1500lbs of plates(rubber coated), DBs from 45-125lb(rubber coated), 3 Olympic barbells, kettlebells from 10-25lb and stands for DBs and kettlebells and it ran $9200 with shipping.

One with multiple dumbbells as well as a squat rack, bench etc. Basically a permanent setup. Converting part of my garage this summer and was looking for ideas/pointers on where to purchase such items. Tired of waiting in line at the gym

Elitefts is the place to go for your equipment.

I priced 2 power racks, 1500lbs of plates(rubber coated), DBs from 45-125lb(rubber coated), 3 Olympic barbells, kettlebells from 10-25lb and stands for DBs and kettlebells and it ran $9200 with shipping.

Will have to check it out. Wanted a single power rack and DBs from 35-180ish. Am using 110's now for bench but know I would be able to do more weight if my gym had larger DBs

Take these plans to a local fab shop or do it yourself. Then go to http://www.rogue fitness.com and purchase the bandr bar. A flat bench. And of course a nice set of bumper plates. Crawl craigslist every chance you get to suck up plates for cheap and obviously compare their asking price per pound vs what v eltftns and rogue. It will save you thousands. And if you're wise like myself you know the crossfit bubble will break soon so the pickings will be very good. Build a platform from plywood. 3/4 inch 8x4 x 6 sheets stack and screw to create a indestructible 8x8 platform. Go to tractor supply and buy some horse stall mats 3/4 inch by 8x6 or 8x4 if available at your location. Top the platform off with them they will save the life of your bumpers. Then you'll need some storage I have Creighton university's old weight trees I paid 20 a tree they would sell 140 new off rogue. Don't waste money or space on bells just barbell power lift and do pull ups of your new rack and I'd invest in some chalk and a belt and a great powerlifting book or coach to perfect your form. Have a good day inbox me with any questions as I will not reread the topic

starting_strength_rack-1.pdf

Take these plans to a local fab shop or do it yourself. Then go to http://www.rogue fitness.com and purchase the bandr bar. A flat bench. And of course a nice set of bumper plates. Crawl craigslist every chance you get to suck up plates for cheap and obviously compare their asking price per pound vs what v eltftns and rogue. It will save you thousands. And if you're wise like myself you know the crossfit bubble will break soon so the pickings will be very good. Build a platform from plywood. 3/4 inch 8x4 x 6 sheets stack and screw to create a indestructible 8x8 platform. Go to tractor supply and buy some horse stall mats 3/4 inch by 8x6 or 8x4 if available at your location. Top the platform off with them they will save the life of your bumpers. Then you'll need some storage I have Creighton university's old weight trees I paid 20 a tree they would sell 140 new off rogue. Don't waste money or space on bells just barbell power lift and do pull ups of your new rack and I'd invest in some chalk and a belt and a great powerlifting book or coach to perfect your form. Have a good day inbox me with any questions as I will not reread the topic

I had a power rack priced to build at a fab shop and it was twice as much as buying one with a weight tree on it. Unless you have a welder, a metal bandsaw and a place to construct it at, you are better off buying one.

As far as everything else you mentioned, if you are looking to save money definitely shop on craigslist.

Its cheaper to go in with someone due to material waste making only one. I bet you can keep it under 400 per unit doing it yourself. Also you can do everything with a power rack flat bench and barbell. I guess I never saw a use for the bells

I just gave away my bench and weights. I had a weight room in basement with a Gold's Gym bench that separated from the rack which was tall enough to squat from. No safety bars for squatting though. Instead of buying separate dumbbells I had olympic dumbbell bars and just swapped out the weights. I would need 4 of them for my current workouts and only 1 exercise where having hexagonal shaped dumbbells would be helpful but probably not necessary. I thought about welding up my own squat rack but there are probably decent ready-made racks that would be cheaper unless you had a lot of scrap steel laying around. I would definitely search for used equipment.

Busy gyms suck when you have to wait a lot to get a workout in. Good luck and keep us posted on your gym.

If I had the money and the space I would have one.

The company I work for pays for the majority of my yearly gym membership. All but 40 bucks I put in on my own dime.

I do have a bunch of loose weights and two dumbbell bars, obviously I can change the weight. Then I have an EZ - bar as well. That's all I've got at home. I only really ever use em if I'm feeling crappy for missing a workout and I just want to get the blood flowing, or if I'm pissed off and want to slam someones face into a wall, I'll grab the weights- throw on some music and just but out some quick sets. A punching bag would be even better, but I don't have space to hang one.

-Certified Non-Kazinski here. I take my anger out on weights, not women.

The company I work for pays for the majority of my yearly gym membership. All but 40 bucks I put in on my own dime.

I do have a bunch of loose weights and two dumbbell bars, obviously I can change the weight. Then I have an EZ - bar as well. That's all I've got at home. I only really ever use em if I'm feeling crappy for missing a workout and I just want to get the blood flowing, or if I'm pissed off and want to slam someones face into a wall, I'll grab the weights- throw on some music and just but out some quick sets. A punching bag would be even better, but I don't have space to hang one.

same here. My wife's workplace pays a portion of a family membership to the local Y. Which in Hastings, the Y also owns what is hte former Champions Sports/Rec. with a really nice cardio/cybex weight deck and free weights room. They have everything. She gets it taken out of her paycheck in it's like 15$ a week that we literally dont even notice.

same here. My wife's workplace pays a portion of a family membership to the local Y. Which in Hastings, the Y also owns what is hte former Champions Sports/Rec. with a really nice cardio/cybex weight deck and free weights room. They have everything. She gets it taken out of her paycheck in it's like 15$ a week that we literally dont even notice.

While we were visiting the in-laws in Hastings around Xmas time, we took our kids to play at the Y to kill some time. It was pretty fun for the kids to play at for a couple hours and it seemed like it had a nice workout area.