Gregory tests positive for pot at combine

Amac3309

It's interesting that a person can legally* purchase and smoke weed in Colo and Washington, yet be subject to sanctions by the NFL. It's not like the NFL is a U.S. state and can pass its own laws as to what is, or isn't legal. I wonder if the NFL allows players to use medical marijuana? Not that any of them would, but it seems like the NFL would have a policy in place for that.

* Legal under state law.

The NFL is a company. A company can say "we don't allow alcohol consumption or being drunk while performing your job" and alcohol is a legal, controlled substance. Marijuana will be no different in states where it is legal. So it makes perfect sense that this is how they approach it.

It really doesn't matter if anyone thinks it doesn't affect performance or has no side effects or if people think it's better for you than alcohol....regardless of these facts, the NFL has the right to say "we don't allow it while you're doing your job" and it's within their rights to set this standard.

Since Gregory didn't meet this standard and has shown a behavioral pattern of not meeting this standard, his draft stock WILL drop...the only question is how far will it? We'll see soon I suppose.

Is there any company that says an employee can't drink alcohol ever? That is essentially what the NFL is doing. It is not smoking marijuana "while you're doing your job," it is smoking marijuana at all.

It's interesting that a person can legally* purchase and smoke weed in Colo and Washington, yet be subject to sanctions by the NFL. It's not like the NFL is a U.S. state and can pass its own laws as to what is, or isn't legal. I wonder if the NFL allows players to use medical marijuana? Not that any of them would, but it seems like the NFL would have a policy in place for that.

* Legal under state law.

The NFL is a company. A company can say "we don't allow alcohol consumption or being drunk while performing your job" and alcohol is a legal, controlled substance. Marijuana will be no different in states where it is legal. So it makes perfect sense that this is how they approach it.

It really doesn't matter if anyone thinks it doesn't affect performance or has no side effects or if people think it's better for you than alcohol....regardless of these facts, the NFL has the right to say "we don't allow it while you're doing your job" and it's within their rights to set this standard.

Since Gregory didn't meet this standard and has shown a behavioral pattern of not meeting this standard, his draft stock WILL drop...the only question is how far will it? We'll see soon I suppose.

Is there any company that says an employee can't drink alcohol ever? That is essentially what the NFL is doing. It is not smoking marijuana "while you're doing your job," it is smoking marijuana at all.

Honestly...that question should mean absolutely nothing to Gregory or anyone else. Our company tests for Marijuana and doesn't test for alcohol. Why? Because one is legal and the other isn't. Now, if someone shows up drunk, they are fired. If they show up stoned or test positive for HTC, they are fired. That is simple.

We had one of our very best employees flat out tell us to screw it. He is smoking weed if he wants to in his off time. The next time he was tested....he was fired. He lost all of his benefits and tenure. A few months later, he came back asking of his job. He was tested and was clean. He knows the rules now and is back to being a great employee.

Stephen A Smith nailed this with his comments.

Honestly...that question should mean absolutely nothing to Gregory or anyone else. Our company tests for Marijuana and doesn't test for alcohol. Why? Because one is legal and the other isn't. Now, if someone shows up drunk, they are fired. If they show up stoned or test positive for HTC, they are fired. That is simple.

What if marijuana wasn't illegal, like it is in multiple states and growing? Of course, if someone shows up on-the-job drunk or high, fire them. Are they going to fire them for having a beer or joint off the job?

What if marijuana wasn't illegal, like it is in multiple states and growing? Of course, if someone shows up on-the-job drunk or high, fire them. Are they going to fire them for having a beer or joint off the job?

It doesn't matter. The NFL bans it. I honestly don't understand where the disconnect is on this. If Nebraska all of a sudden legalized MJ, I'm not changing our company policy. I don't expect the NFL to do it either.

• Fire 1

To me this is just stupid. Not that Gregory smoked pot. That in 2015 anyone can muster the will to care . . . at all.

No sane person would throw away his talent because he was consuming a non-lethal drug that's already legal in four states, and medicinally legal (which it sounds like might have been his reason for using it in the first place) in about half the country.

Non-story. If I'm a GM, I don't drop his draft status one notch.

Then you're not a very good GM. As long as it's against NFL rules it's a risk to take someone who keeps doing it. It matters not one bit how stupid the rule is or if it's legal in all 50 states. All that matter is that the rule exists. If I'm a GM I have to think of the possibility that he'll test positive on more tests.

I doubt many are concerned about the actual weed itself as much as he is now in the League's substance abuse program. Another positive test would mean a suspension (four games, I think) and now that he's admitted that he's tested positive before, he's obviously not learning the lesson so it's a question of will he be able to keep himself out of trouble and on the field.

• Fire 1

It doesn't matter. The NFL bans it. I honestly don't understand where the disconnect is on this. If Nebraska all of a sudden legalized MJ, I'm not changing our company policy. I don't expect the NFL to do it either.

Do you test for or prohibit any other legal drugs?

Yes. We test for Nicotine but have not taken the step yet to do something about it. We are considering charging more for health insurance to the employee if they are a smoker.

We also test for alcohol since the testing is done randomly on the day the employee is at work.

To me this is just stupid. Not that Gregory smoked pot. That in 2015 anyone can muster the will to care . . . at all.

No sane person would throw away his talent because he was consuming a non-lethal drug that's already legal in four states, and medicinally legal (which it sounds like might have been his reason for using it in the first place) in about half the country.

Then you're not a very good GM. As long as it's against NFL rules it's a risk to take someone who keeps doing it. It matters not one bit how stupid the rule is or if it's legal in all 50 states. All that matter is that the rule exists. If I'm a GM I have to think of the possibility that he'll test positive on more tests.

I doubt many are concerned about the actual weed itself as much as he is now in the League's substance abuse program. Another positive test would mean a suspension (four games, I think) and now that he's admitted that he's tested positive before, he's obviously not learning the lesson so it's a question of will he be able to keep himself out of trouble and on the field.

Exactly...

Yes. We test for Nicotine but have not taken the step yet to do something about it. We are considering charging more for health insurance to the employee if they are a smoker.

We also test for alcohol since the testing is done randomly on the day the employee is at work.

The problem with Marijuana s that it stays in your system almost a month after the fact. So if you decided to get drunk on a Friday night, by Monday it's out of your system and you never really knew that he was drinking. Now if he smoked a joint on a Friday night, and he comes back Monday, can you tell if he smoked on Friday? Now I've never had Marijuana so I don't know how long weed impairs you for, and if it does for the entire time it is in your system, even just for a little bit, then I can see someone getting fired for it. But if it doesn't,and it is legal, then I don't see why they can't in moderation if it isn't affecting their productivity

(WARNING - This rant will almost belong in the "Why can't Black People Get Ahead" in the Political forums)....

Stephen A. doesn't know "his coach at Nebraska" ain't at Nebraska no mo'.

It's kinda funny how good Skip and Stephen A. are at always appearing to yell at each other, even when they're agreeing. Wonder how Stephen A.'s rant about how "all these are brothers" went over.

As a hard working (not part of the 10.4 unemployed African-Americans in US), tax paying (not part of the 21% who don't pay taxes), home owning (am part of the 47% of African-Americans who own their homes), married (not part of the 49% of African-American men who aren't married) father of two (not part of the 72% of African-American fathers who had children out of wedlock), I agree with Stephen A. Smith and I understand exactly where he's coming from.

You have to be a part of the African-American community, unfortunately, to hear and understand his plight. You see, we, as men in the African-American community, have a problem. The problem gets worse and worse every single year.

I had this conversation just Saturday with my wife. We went to a beauty shop so she could get some hair products. I, of course, waited in the car. But as I waited there, I observed the number of people that were coming in and out of that shop. The shop is owned by a Korean family.

But then, I PERSONALLY get blasted by some in the African-American community complain about me not putting $$$ back into the community?

Here, I see this case with Randy Gregory. He's got a scholarship to the University of Nebraska, and can fulfill his dream of making millions of dollars and playing football at the highest level. And he is practically smoking it away.

But then, I PERSONALLY get called an 'Uncle Tom' for speaking out on this kind of behavior (for the record, Stephen A has been called that a million times over)?

I served my country honorably. I use my VA loan to purchase a house in West Omaha for my family and I. We love it out there. I've left my door wide open, keys in the car a few times. Nobody has bothered anything. Heck, even had my neighbor (who he playfully calls me his 'brother from another mother', and yes, he's a White guy) come by and get me acquainted with the neighborhood. My two girls can play outside and I know they're safe.

But then, I PERSONALLY get called a "sadiddy two shoes" that lives out West and thinks I'm too good to come back North?

I needed some work done on my house last year - some siding damage repaired. I looked for the most reputable guys I could go with. Ended up going with the sellers's roofing company, they did a great job. Was asked about working with a 'vendor of color', but when I checked, most aren't licensed and bonded to do the work.

But then, I PERSONALLY am told how I've forgotten where I've come from because I give the "OTHER PEOPLE" my money?

Trust me. I know EXACTLY where Stephen A. is coming from. And we're both tired, so tired of the same old s**t.

Are they the same ones who are protesting that officers are being prejudiced against them by rioting, looting, and shooting cops?

Tell that to the GMs that spent millions of dollars on Ricky Williams.

The fact is, this is an indication of possibly two things:

a) He doesn't care about rules and he doesn't think they apply to him.

b) He doesn't have the will power to stop doing something that is against NFL rules long enough to not affect his career.

Those two things can be an indication of personality issues that can lead to much bigger problems in the future. This when the NFL is having an image issue with top players being in the news for the wrong reasons.

This ^

Fairly or unfairly, Randy's draft position will drop a few ticks and cost him a few millions, but he will be playing football somewhere next year, and cost enough money that he'll be expected to contribute quickly.

So for a moment forget about all the other players and leagues and pundits. It's your money and you have to bet on Randy Gregory having a productive NFL career.

I'm totally rooting for the dude, but my Spider-sense is telling me Gregory never meets his potential.

The problem with Marijuana s that it stays in your system almost a month after the fact. So if you decided to get drunk on a Friday night, by Monday it's out of your system and you never really knew that he was drinking. Now if he smoked a joint on a Friday night, and he comes back Monday, can you tell if he smoked on Friday? Now I've never had Marijuana so I don't know how long weed impairs you for, and if it does for the entire time it is in your system, even just for a little bit, then I can see someone getting fired for it. But if it doesn't,and it is legal, then I don't see why they can't in moderation if it isn't affecting their productivity

I don't give a flying rats azz. As far as my company goes, if you test positive for pot, you're fired.

I don't know if you smoked a joint the morning you came to work or two days ago. I don't know how high you are currently. I don't know what safety risk it is causing.

(WARNING - This rant will almost belong in the "Why can't Black People Get Ahead" in the Political forums)....

It's kinda funny how good Skip and Stephen A. are at always appearing to yell at each other, even when they're agreeing. Wonder how Stephen A.'s rant about how "all these are brothers" went over.

As a hard working (not part of the 10.4 unemployed African-Americans in US), tax paying (not part of the 21% who don't pay taxes), home owning (am part of the 47% of African-Americans who own their homes), married (not part of the 49% of African-American men who aren't married) father of two (not part of the 72% of African-American fathers who had children out of wedlock), I agree with Stephen A. Smith and I understand exactly where he's coming from.

You have to be a part of the African-American community, unfortunately, to hear and understand his plight. You see, we, as men in the African-American community, have a problem. The problem gets worse and worse every single year.

I had this conversation just Saturday with my wife. We went to a beauty shop so she could get some hair products. I, of course, waited in the car. But as I waited there, I observed the number of people that were coming in and out of that shop. The shop is owned by a Korean family.

But then, I PERSONALLY get blasted by some in the African-American community complain about me not putting $$$ back into the community?

Here, I see this case with Randy Gregory. He's got a scholarship to the University of Nebraska, and can fulfill his dream of making millions of dollars and playing football at the highest level. And he is practically smoking it away.

But then, I PERSONALLY get called an 'Uncle Tom' for speaking out on this kind of behavior (for the record, Stephen A has been called that a million times over)?

I served my country honorably. I use my VA loan to purchase a house in West Omaha for my family and I. We love it out there. I've left my door wide open, keys in the car a few times. Nobody has bothered anything. Heck, even had my neighbor (who he playfully calls me his 'brother from another mother', and yes, he's a White guy) come by and get me acquainted with the neighborhood. My two girls can play outside and I know they're safe.

But then, I PERSONALLY get called a "sadiddy two shoes" that lives out West and thinks I'm too good to come back North?

I needed some work done on my house last year - some siding damage repaired. I looked for the most reputable guys I could go with. Ended up going with the sellers's roofing company, they did a great job. Was asked about working with a 'vendor of color', but when I checked, most aren't licensed and bonded to do the work.

But then, I PERSONALLY am told how I've forgotten where I've come from because I give the "OTHER PEOPLE" my money?

Trust me. I know EXACTLY where Stephen A. is coming from. And we're both tired, so tired of the same old s**t.

Are they the same ones who are protesting that officers are being prejudiced against them by rioting, looting, and shooting cops?

Unfortunately, my friend, yes.

You see, there is a valid concern in this world about bigotry. It does exist. But when you get a bunch of a**clowns acting like a**clowns, it takes away from the positive message that you are attempting to get resolved.

• Fire 1

Unfortunately, my friend, yes.

You see, there is a valid concern in this world about bigotry. It does exist. But when you get a bunch of a**clowns acting like a**clowns, it takes away from the positive message that you are attempting to get resolved.

Man...that is so true on so many levels with so many different issues.