Hittin' the links: Golf talk

Fiance told me the other day she wants to get me a new set of irons for our wedding gift (didn't know this was a thing). Looking at getting the new Cobra King F7 one length irons. All irons are the same length as your 7 iron. Anyone on here play these or know someone that does?

Bryson DeChambeau is the only guy I know that uses them and he is on the PGA Tour. In theory, they should help, but I think you need to have some relatively high swing speed otherwise the gaps in the long irons won't be enough.

I typically don't swing anything over a 6 iron (not because I'm that good but the courses I typically play aren't very long) so idk if the long iron issue would apply to me. I just like the idea of having all the irons be the same length.

Am I completely wrong in thinking that it will help my short iron play or not?

Having all your irons the same length is a terrible idea for the average golfer, especially for your short irons. Your short irons should be shorter length shafts to provide more accuracy into the green. Also, golfers encounter varying lies around the green, so it helps to have the shorter shaft length.

What would be considered the average golfer?

I would consider anyone that shoots in the 80s+ as "average".

• 2 weeks later...

Bought two new clubs this week. A Ping Crossover four iron. And a Vokey 64 degree wedge with 8 degrees of bounce. I think I'm gonna put em both in my bag. I can hit the Ping Crossover about the same distance as I hit the current Adams fairway wood I have. And right now I only have 13 clubs in the bag, so the Adams fairway wood is the only one I'll need to remove.

Edit: Not sure I'm gonna put that 64 degree wedge in the bag just yet. I've hit it at a couple of practice sessions now. It's fun to play around with, but I can't control the distance very well yet. That, and it's for a very specific purpose that I don't encounter very often.

Man, 64 degree wedge is some serious loft. I have a super old 60 degree that I have in my bag. I use it quite a bit, but I don't use it that often now. I mainly use it for bunker shots and the occasional flop shot. I also have 52 and 56 degree wedges and I use them more often around the green and for approach shots from the fairway.

Man, 64 degree wedge is some serious loft. I have a super old 60 degree that I have in my bag. I use it quite a bit, but I don't use it that often now. I mainly use it for bunker shots and the occasional flop shot. I also have 52 and 56 degree wedges and I use them more often around the green and for approach shots from the fairway.

Ha ha! Yeah, I got it more as a toy to fool around with rather than something I'll use while playing. It's fun to pop the ball up with it, but so far I have a hard time controlling distance.

Update on the Ping 4 Crossover: I LOVE this thing. One of the main reasons I bought it is because of a lengthy par three that gives me fits. It's a 189 yards down a tree lined fairway with a sand trap on either side of the small, elevated green. The apron leading up to the green slopes left to right, so you have to hit your tee shot just right to end up on the green rather than in the traps. I've suffered more double bogeys on that hole than I care to talk about. I played it around 25 or 30 times last season without a single birdie. Well, last Thursday I played it for the first time with my new Ping 4 Crossover: Birdie! Having that club for just that one hole on the course I play makes it a welcome addition to my bag. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

recently picked up golf. Got a new bag and shoes. Gotta get new irons.

Everything I had was from 1996 and my older brothers stuff. Went out and played Lake Maloney last saturday. Had so much fun. Most of my friends golf and I'm the only one that just went along for the ride. I'm super excited to play all the time now.

$$$$

• Fire 1

Welcome to this great game.

The market for used golf gear is great, 23 year-old products for one third the price of retail. You can get irons very comparable to present day offerings for $200-300. If you need help, just let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Topgolf indoor driving range approved by Omaha Planning Board

Anyone been to one of these before? Looks cool.

Been to the one in KC a couple times now. Topgolf is an absolute blast. There is fun to be had for all ages. Very reasonable pricing and great food/drinks.

TopGolf is trying to put a facility about a mile from where I live in the north Denver suburbs. It was approved by the city council, and they started clearing the space for the development. There is a neighborhood that would lose their mountain views, so they are suing the city and TopGolf to stop the development. It's such a NIMBY action. It's so lame.

Topgolf indoor driving range approved by Omaha Planning Board

Anyone been to one of these before? Looks cool.

Been to the one in KC a couple times now. Topgolf is an absolute blast. There is fun to be had for all ages. Very reasonable pricing and great food/drinks.

I work about 3/4 mile from the Overland Park (KS) TopGolf. It is a lot of fun! That is a big get for Omaha.

Been concentrating on improving at the tee box this past month. Mainly focusing on keeping it in play more. It's starting to pay off a bit. Oh, I still hit the occasional errant tee shot. But I've been missing more of them closer to the fairway, so they're still in play more often. And I've been hitting the fairway a higher percentage of the time too. Played two nines this week. I hit 5/6 fairways the first time. (One of the best nines driving the ball that I've played. Evar.) But then sort of fell apart the next day and hit 3/6 fairways. And one of the 3 in the fairway was so short it cost me a shot anyway.

So it's still a work in progress. And it probly always will be. :lol:

I've been thinking about trying one of those crossovers. I'm a bit of a Ping enthusiast; it's pretty much all I've played since age 15 when I got my first set of Eye 2s. These days I'm using i20s with those new Glide wedges and I absolutely love them. When I got these irons I went with a set that had nothing below a 5-iron; at the time I was fine with it because I had two hybrids I really like to hit, but lately I've struggled to get them airborne and have flirted with the idea of going back to at least a 4-iron. The irons I have now are about as easy to hit as anything I've ever had, but a long iron is still a long iron.