Hittin' the links: Golf talk

• 5 months later...

bushnellneoghostdistancesgreen.jpg

Ordered a Bushnell Neo Ghost today on the eBay.  It gives front, back and center yardage to green.  $80 new (demo model).  I've been thinking about getting a GPS based yardage device for a couple years now, and this seems like a pretty decent price.  

• 1 month later...

The club pro where I play gave me a 6x6' driving range mat.  It was left over after they renovated the driving range a couple years back.  It's been sitting around outside since then, but still in good shape.  I'm going to use it in my back yard for a chipping station.  Put little movable targets in the yard to chip and pitch to.    

Edited by NUance
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw an ad for this Shotmakers show on the golf channel that premiered tonight.  Hosted at Top Golf Las Vegas.  I played Top Golf for the first time last month and it's pretty fun.  The show isn't all that entertaining - pretty slow-paced - but I thought it was interesting that one of the competitors is from Sidney.  She's in the green in the video.  Her name is Kenzie O'Connell and she can be found on the internet .... though some may frown on you perusing some of her pics at work.

• Plus1 1

On 4/9/2018 at 9:15 PM, Mavric said:

Saw an ad for this Shotmakers show on the golf channel that premiered tonight.  Hosted at Top Golf Las Vegas.  I played Top Golf for the first time last month and it's pretty fun.  The show isn't all that entertaining - pretty slow-paced - but I thought it was interesting that one of the competitors is from Sidney.  She's in the green in the video.  Her name is Kenzie O'Connell and she can be found on the internet .... though some may frown on you perusing some of her pics at work.

I watched a few minutes of this the other night.  I was impressed with the chicks in the tight yoga pants.  TopGolf is fun, but I really don't want to see a TV show based on a TopGolf competition.

On 9/5/2017 at 2:43 PM, wiuhusker said:

Anyone else on here played at Deer Creek here in Omaha? Had a chance to play it last Friday and its a nice course. 

Yeah, a lot of times, I really like it.  Some people don't like all the sand but I am a fan of that place.  We had our school scramble there for years...

On 4/13/2018 at 9:37 PM, teachercd said:

Yeah, a lot of times, I really like it.  Some people don't like all the sand but I am a fan of that place.  We had our school scramble there for years...

If you don't like the sand don't hit it there....but seriously I think it is a very fair layout and the course is always in really good shape. 

9 minutes ago, wiuhusker said:

If you don't like the sand don't hit it there....but seriously I think it is a very fair layout and the course is always in really good shape. 

I agree.  I like courses with lots of strategically placed hazards.  At least if it's sand, you don't lose a ball like water.

I like courses that make you make shots.....even if I have a bad score playing them.  It's more interesting golf to me.

On 4/16/2018 at 4:05 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  I like courses with lots of strategically placed hazards.  At least if it's sand, you don't lose a ball like water.

I like courses that make you make shots.....even if I have a bad score playing them.  It's more interesting golf to me.

Agreed. Some of my favorite courses that I have played have been on the shorter side but require more thinking to get around them and you can't just hit driver and not care where it ends up. 

Your posts made me think about my own course and its hazards.  So I counted:  

• white tees: 6230 yards, par 70 
  • 8 holes have water in play
  • 17 holes have one or more bunkers  around the greens 
  • 4 holes have fairway bunkers
  • It's very hilly.  16 holes have hills in play
  • The greens are very contoured.  There's only one relatively flat green, and no dome shaped greens. 

edit:  16 holes have hills in play, not 13.  It's very hilly.   lol

On 4/18/2018 at 4:58 PM, NUance said:

Your posts made me think about my own course and its hazards.  So I counted:  

• white tees: 6230 yards, par 70 
  • 8 holes have water in play
  • 17 holes have one or more bunkers  around the greens 
  • 4 holes have fairway bunkers
  • It's very hilly.  13 holes have hills in play
  • The greens are very contoured.  There's only one relatively flat green, and no dome shaped greens. 

This is basically the exact opposite of the course I grew up playing. It was 9 hole small town course with tiny greens, not much contouring and only 3 bunkers and 1 water hazard on the entire course. Come to think of it that is most likely why my sand game sucks so bad. 

But I would much rather play a course like Benson or Johnny Goodman in Omaha as opposed to a Stone Creek or Tiburon.